Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Visions in the Sea: Underwater photography festival

Started by ScubaDiva ·

  • 43Posts
  • 43Replies

Read-only discussion

Visions in the Sea: Underwater photography festival

43 posts
  1. It was, just, wow!!

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    Absolutely Tim. It was a great weekend. So much good stuff, shared knowledge and good friends new and old.

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  2. Peter Scoones' talk at the end was just the icing on the cake for me!

  3. It was, just, wow!!

     

    Tim

     

    :blush:

     

    i can't sum it up better than that. i was very impressed and blown away by the discussions. Many thanks to all the speakers for sharing some great info.

  4. I think Tim M is doing an official report for Wetpixel - but this is the summary from the organisers.

     

    Copy and paste job:

     

    Visions in the Sea 2009

    by Caroline Robertson-Brown

     

    The Visions in the Sea 2009 underwater photography festival was held in Manchester over the weekend of the 7th & 8th November and was a huge success. With a packed out audience at every talk, wonderful entries and winners in the international photography competition, fantastic presentations, Gala Dinner, stands and an in-water tuition afternoon – Visions in the Sea had it all for every level of underwater photographer.

     

    With all that – we also raised over £2000 for the Shark Trust – by auctioning off prints, books, lessons and dives at the Gala Dinner (Duxy and Ali worked their charm to get as much money for this important charity) generously donated by our guest presenters, holding a quiz, and selling limited edition 4th Element T-shirts that were designed by Jim in person especially for the event. These are still available!

     

    Cathy Church, who had come over from the Cayman Islands to support the event, opened proceedings with a rare appearance for her in Europe with a brilliant talk on ”getting up close”. She also assisted divers in the pool to get some great shots of our artificial reef that will stand them in good stead the next time they go diving. This was followed by the ever popular Duxy showing us that you do not need to break the bank to get great photos.

     

    Cathy_Church_Alex_Mustard.jpg

    Cathy Church and Alex Mustard judging prints

     

    Martin Edge inspired us with shallow natural light techniques that could be used by free divers as well as scuba divers. Martin also got into the pool on Sunday to teach willing students these techniques using imitation Jellyfish floating at the surface.

     

    After a well earned lunch we were back at it with a superb lesson on how to master our strobes by Alex Mustard. Alex also succeeded in donating the print that raised the most money at our auction – with competitive bidding for his wonderful shot of a weedy seadragon reaching £370.

     

    Jukka Nurminen showed us the treasures found beneath the Baltic Sea, Ali Hood from the Shark Trust informed us about the important work of this organisation and reminded us why we were all there. The day then the day reached it’s climax with a talk on Wreck Photography by Charlie Hood.

     

    On Sunday we sprang back into action with wonderful shots of Pilot Whales in Gibraltar by Mark from Ocean Optics, followed by Maria Munn showing us how to get the money shots with a compact camera.

     

    Peter_Scoones.jpg

    Peter Scoones

     

     

    Peter Scoones provided the grand finale by showing his award winning filming of wildlife around the world. He also allowed lucky participants at our in-water teaching session the chance to use his underwater video equipment that he used for iconic BBC series such as Blue Planet and Life.

     

    The 3 hour long in-water tuition session saw Steve Warren, from Ocean Optics, using an underwater comms system, take a group of divers to try out different INON lenses and strobes with tuition using an artificial reef system sunk to the bottom of our 5m pool.

     

    Martin Edge and Cathy Church also got in to assist our underwater photographers in macro and wide angle techniques.

     

    Nick, from Frogfish Photography, assisted with those that wanted to photograph our professional model (Amy Finnimore) who also wore a monofin provided by the British Freediving Association. Another diver model from Orca Divers (Dawn Ticehurst) provided delegates the opportunity to practise various shots and poses. Orca Divers also provided scuba equipment for those that wanted to get in and have a go.

     

    Duxy, from Cameras Underwater, provided surface advice before each diver got into the water. The Cayman Island Department of Tourism also provided artificial coral from their Dive Show stand.

     

    As well as the Visions in the Sea International Underwater Photography Competition, visitors could peruse the stands by the Shark Trust, Frogfish Photography, Ocean Optics, African Space, Cameras Underwater, Cayman Island Department of Tourism, Dive Quest, NUPG and BSoUP. With lots of underwater photography and videography equipment on display for visitors to look at, places to go for wonderful underwater photographic opportunities and the companies to help then get here and underwater photography clubs from both the north and south of England as well as a display of the competition prizes to whet their appetite for the next event alongside Peter Scoones’ underwater video equipment that he designed himself. A photographic “Dive Safari” with Andrew Woodburn was a very popular holiday option being offered by African Space and Frogfish Photography for September 2010.

     

    The winners of the competition are as follows:

     

    Best in Show. judged by Martin Edge

     

    Winner - Rene Kral with a great shot of a Whale Shark dappled in sunlight. Winning a trip with Worldwide Dive and Sail

     

    Mares Young Photographer of the Year

     

    Winner - Christopher Moran with his wonderful shot of an Oceanic White Tip taken in Egypt. CJ is 12 years old and already has over 200 dives – so he is certainly one to look out for! Winning a Mares Regulator

     

    Suunto British Open, judged by Charlie Hood

     

    1st place Tom Ashton with a shot of a Hermit Crab on Brittle Stars taken in Scotland. Tom is a pHd student in St Andrews. Winning a D9.

     

    2nd place Mark Thomas with a shot of a Tompot Blenny. Winning a D6.

     

    3rd place Derek Haslam with a shot of a Cuckoo Wrasse. winning a D4.

     

    O’Neill Open, judged by Dr Alex Mustard and Cathy Church

     

    Wide Angle: Thomas Vignaud for his shot of a turtle reflecting in the surface. Winning an O’Neill Wetsuit

     

    Macro: Thomas Vignaud for another superb shot – this time of a small group of fish taking shelter in a jellyfish taken in the south of France. Winning an O’Neill wetsuit

     

    Elasmobranch: Eduord Kerinec with a shot of Mantas. Winning an O’Neill wetsuit

     

    Amateur DSLR, judged by Mark Keokemoer and Jukka Nurminen

     

    Wide Angle: William Bradley with a shot of his daughter swimming through a group of jacks in Malaysia,. Winning a Sea & Sea £250 voucher

     

    Macro: Kay Newman with her squirellfish with black background. Winning an Apeks Flight Regulator

     

    Elasmobranch: Steve Williams with his Caribbean Reef Shark with fishing hook trailing out of his mouth taken in the Bahamas. Winning a Bonica Video camera and housing

     

    Amateur Compact, judged by Paul “Duxy” Duxfield and Maria Munn

     

    Wide Angle: James Lea with his shot of 3 turtles taken in The Seychelles. James is a research scientist working for the Save Our Seas Foundation. Winning a Typhoon Prosport Drysuit

     

    Macro: Paul Smith with his anemonefish taken in Egypt. Winning an INON accessory

     

    Elasmobranch: Sarah Lewis with her wonderful split shot of a Manta and dive boat taken in the Maldives.Winning a Beaver Dive Bag, Tektite spotting light and a year’s subscription to Sport Diver

     

    Acknowledgements

     

    We would like to thank our sponsors Africa Space and also Cameras Underwater, Cayman Island Department of Tourism, Dive Quest and Emperor Divers. Ocean Optics for their support throughout whole event. Our staff at Frogfish Photography who made it all possible, the generous companies who provided prizes for the competition, Our guest speakers and the delegates who came along over the weekend. We would also like to thank the Shark Trust, especially Ali Hood, who supported this event from the very beginning, for all the work they do to protect these vulnerable creatures.

     

    Quotes about the event

    Martin Edge – Guest Speaker at Visions in the Sea:“ May I say that whatever you did at the weekend. It has the entire underwater photo world foaming at the mouth. The praise for you and all those who helped get Visions off the ground has been unprecedented. Something about you two (Nick and Caroline of Frogfish Photography and Orca Divers) as organisers, the venue at the City Inn hotel, scooping Cathy Church, the party on Saturday evening and also the pool session Sunday afternoon - culminated in a very enjoyable weekend for every single person I have spoken to.”

     

    Dr. Alex Mustard – Guest Presenter at Visions in the Sea :“highly enjoyable and inspiration weekend”

    “V. happy my print made £370 for the Shark Trust, due to the generosity of the Orca/Visions crowd and Duxy as auctioneer. I really enjoyed the whole event. I thought that your organisation and the venue(s) were the best of any of the previous Visions……Anyway, it was a wonderful event and I have only been hearing very positive words from those that attended.”

     

    Michael Aw: “Great job! I look forward to be there next year”

     

    Dave Morgan – delegate: “an inspirational very good weekend, can't wait for the next one!! Thanks to all who made it possible”

     

    Tim Moran – Wetpixel and delegate: “What a terrific weekend! Thanks very much for organising the pinnacle event in British Underwater Photography. Well done to you both"

     

    Alan Larsen – BSoUP and delegate : .” I just wanted to let you know that I had a great weekend in Manchester at Visions. Well done both of you and the rest of your team – you put on a great event..!”

     

    Atle - delegate who came all the way from Norway: “Now we are back in Norway and I want to thank you for a wonderful event in Manchester over the weekend. The lectures was really interesting.”

     

    Kay – delegate: “I just wanted to say thank you again from Kevin and myself, we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and Kevin learned a lot about his new hobby – not least what he wants for Christmas! “

     

    Mick and Kath – delegates: “Just a note to say thank you for the hard work you must have put in to make a fantastic weekend with the photo competition and diner the presentation by the speakers made the whole thing FAB looking to next year “

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  5. I think Tim M is doing an official report for Wetpixel - but this is the summary from the organisers.

     

    My report is with Eric and I guess it'll get out when the DEMA dust settles :)

  6. Great report Tim, glad I could see the show. I was stunned when I found out my print was selected for the Amateur Elasmobranch category. I really hope the Shark trust can use the image. The winning images have been posted up on Facebook page of Visions in the Sea My shot is also on the Fin Foundation Images site. Congrats to all the winners. There are some very familar names there and wonderful images. This is the first competition I've ever entered and my selection is a testament to all the great help you folks provide here on Wetpixel. Thanks! ;)

     

    Cheers!

    Steve

  7. Great report Tim, glad I could see the show. I was stunned when I found out my print was selected for the Amateur Elasmobranch category.

    Steve

     

     

    Congrats to all the winners, great job all and congrats to you Steve. Well done ;)

  8. This is the first competition I've ever entered and my selection is a testament to all the great help you folks provide here on Wetpixel. Thanks! ;)

    Congratz Steve ! :)

     

    thanks for the report, I'll try to come if I'm in Europe next year !

  9. Hey Steve, I didn't know that was your image as entrants names were not attached to the prints. Congratulations buddy and very well done. Hope to see you at Visions 2010? I'll take you green water diving too :-)

  10. Well done Steve :) and to everyone else of course! Were you there? ;)

  11. ... I was stunned when I found out my print was selected for the Amateur Elasmobranch category...

     

    Fantastic result!

     

    I noticed Alex Mustard and Cathy Church skulking around the sharks and rays during coffee: I can't think of better qualified judges, so I think your kudos is about as high as it gets.

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

  12. Thanks guys. ;) According to the website the judging for my category was handled by Jukka Nurminen and Mark Koekemoer. I've never met them but I think I owe them both an adult beverage. I didn't make it over for the show, I've used up all my vacation diving.

     

    We shouldn't let it slip by that our very own Thomas (Autopsea) Won both the Open- Wide angle and Macro categories. How tough is that! Congrats partner.

     

    Thanks for the invite Tim, How about some warm blue water somewhere. I'm allergic to green.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Edited by Steve Williams
  13. Way to go Steve!

     

    I'm thinking the diver in the pic may be me....looks like I'm trying to figure how the damn thing works?! You could of picked a better model. ;)

     

    Happy TG !

     

    Mike

  14. I'm thinking the diver in the pic may be me....

     

    That's great Mike! I've been wondering if that was you.

     

    You too partner! ;)

    Steve

  15. Yes Steve, for many I spoke with Thomas' shot of the turtle was the show winner. An absolutely stunning shot. I've lifted it from the Visions in the Sea Facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Visions-in-t...ea/183433448796 )

    post-13968-1259208615.jpg

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  16. That was my favourite ;)

  17. Yes that was my 3rd! 2nd for me was the Manta spilt shot ;)

  18. I wasn't aware that there was an overall winner - at least I wasn't involved in judging it. I thought that there were just category winners.

    Alex

  19. I dont think there was Alex, just my personal favourite.

     

    Why dont we do a poll, for the Wet Pixel favourite!?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.