Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New 7D Review up on DPReview

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 63Posts
  • 63Replies

Read-only discussion

New 7D Review up on DPReview

63 posts
  1. The first real data is in, Check out the review here;

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/

     

    The short version;

    "It offers excellent image quality in all shooting situations and an impressive speed of operation, combined with very good build quality and ergonomics. Both its specification and the results of our testing make it a very easy recommendation."

     

    Have fun!

    Steve

  2. It's like test driving a new car Steve and I can see you enjoying that new camera smell real soon! :)

  3. "The EOS 7D's specification and current pricing make it also look very good next to its most direct competitor in the enthusiast bracket of the market, the Nikon D300S. It offers a higher nominal resolution and maximum sensitivity, better movie mode specification and slightly faster continuous shooting speed than its Nikon rival; but having said that, in many ways the two cameras are not too dissimilar, and it will be down to personal taste and probably your lens collection if you prefer one over the other."

     

    Finally Canon caught up to it in the APS-C flagship line, since the D200 was launched the X0D series have been failing to deliver to the competition.

     

    The new viewfinder, is finally level with the D300s. The Video Mode is better for almost all aplications, as it is the 18Mp (still awaiting DxOMark results) and the fps slightly better (equal to D300s w/MB-D10), the menus are much better compared to the last X0D models making it almost as configurable as the Nikons, which still holds a good head in this aspect. The AF system is a big improvement over other Canon, but also still under par with the CAM3500 51-points from Nikon and with regards to metering the Matrix II with 1005 pixels seeing color and with D (distance) information from lens is still the unbeaten champion in the arena.

     

    Nikon users are used to these specs (all but the video) since the release of the D300 more than 2 years ago (announced 27-Aug-2007). Finally Canon users can enjoy something similar, which will also push Nikon to update the 2yo. plataform. IMHO it is the best announcement Canon has made in the last years, and even being a Nikonian at heart I finally have a Canon body to recommend to my students that come with a big Canon lens quiver and background.

     

    Good Luck!

    Edited by Mariozi
  4. The first real data is in, Check out the review here;

     

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/

     

    The short version;

    "It offers excellent image quality in all shooting situations and an impressive speed of operation, combined with very good build quality and ergonomics. Both its specification and the results of our testing make it a very easy recommendation."

     

    Have fun!

    Steve

     

    So, when is your 7D arriving? :)

  5. He's making a list

    and checking it twice.

     

    Ho Ho Ho!

  6. He's making a list

    and checking it twice.

     

    Ho Ho Ho!

     

    I am sorry Steve, but I am living vicariously through your purchases and cannot wait to Christmas. Get the camera now!!! :)

  7. I am sorry Steve, but I am living vicariously through your purchases and cannot wait to Christmas. Get the camera now!!! :blush:

     

     

    As an interesting aside, the Ikelite cases should start shipping out by Friday at the latest. ;) You can actually place orders now - part # 6871.07. Regreattably, mine will arrive about 24 hours after I depart for Isla Guadalupe. :) Officially...a failboat.

  8. My 7D and 17-55 f2.8 (for topside stuff) arrived yesterday :blush: Was hoping to get out after work thisarvo to shoot some stuff around town, but alas, the rain has held me back. From what I've seen from it so far though, I am VERY impressed!

     

    Now, if only the housings would hurry up and become available! Come on Aquatica, I want to get this baby wet!

  9. As an interesting aside, the Ikelite cases should start shipping out by Friday at the latest. :blush: You can actually place orders now - part # 6871.07. Regreattably, mine will arrive about 24 hours after I depart for Isla Guadalupe. ;) Officially...a failboat.

     

     

    You may want to give Ikelite a call to see if there is something they can do. Beg if you have to. They may be able to get the housing to you just the bit earlier so you can take it with. Never hurts to try.

  10. Now, if only the housings would hurry up and become available! Come on Aquatica, I want to get this baby wet!

     

    The preproduction prototype is just off the machine, oh the warm touch of freshly machined aluminum, the sweet scent of lubricant, aaaah so romantic, but I disgress :blush: I should have picture early next week, it will BTW have optical fiber and classic connector possibillity. Definitely a camera that will be popular u/w, I can tell by the demmand for a housing, its through the roof so far. All of a sudden thoses 20D, 30D, 40D... all look so old compare to that slick 7D, that level of performance coupled with the APS choice of lenses will put a plug on the full frame migration for many.

     

    And Aussie, you might want to avoid getting this baby wet and let us handle the parts that should gets wet!!! ;)

  11. " thoses 20D, 30D, 40D... all look so old compare to that slick 7D, that level of performance coupled with the APS choice of lenses will put a plug on the full frame migration for many.

     

    I don't think I'm alone that I still want to have a FF 5DmII sometime in the near future. Especially since the 7D and 5Dm2 share the same power source and other accessories. I'm just waiting for the 5Dm2 to drop below $2K and within my budget.

     

    Right now, more glass is my immediate objective. But I will be keeping those lenses that will work on a FF sensor and supplement them with lenses for my 7D.

     

    Bo

  12. While the 7D image quality is very very good, it's still not quite as good as the 5Dmk2's. I own both so I speak from some experience. Then again, the 5D is almost 2x the price of the 7D. AF on the 7D is wonderfully fast, the video mode is much more user friendly that that of the 5D. As Jean will attest, I did pester him a fair bit about the 5Dmk2 housing and was ready to pull the trigger, but since my next dive trip won't be till sometime next year, I held off upon hearing about the launch of the 7D. Will now wait with eager rubbing of hands to see the new Aquatica 7D housing. The Subal port adapter is available for this housing right Jean? And yes, I gave up my Subal for the Aquatica.

     

    Stu

  13. Arrrggghh! You guys are killing me! My 40D's only 2 years old and I thought I'd be able to resist the urge to upgrade, but the reviews on the 7D are just too good. I even had a chance to play with one at the local camera shop - built like a tank and feels great. I keep telling myself I can make it to its successor, I know I can - it'll only be a year! :blush:

     

    Must....be....strong....

     

    Phil

  14. "it will BTW have optical fiber and classic connector possibillity."

     

    If thats true and you can turn flash on or off, I will be very impressed, as it was one of the things making me consider changing housings given I have Z240's now. Must resist......

     

    Otara

  15. And Aussie, you might want to avoid getting this baby wet and let us handle the parts that should gets wet!!! :blush:

     

    thanks Jean, but please don't go spreading the word about how much better it is than the 40D housing, I've still gotta try and sell mine!

     

    And the 7D's weatherproof, should be right in the water till I can get a housing!

  16. Thanks Luiz!

     

    "Just occasionally a lens turns up which delivers such implausibly good results in our studio tests that I have to go back and repeat everything"

     

    Damn, Canon is on a roll.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  17. Arrrggghh! You guys are killing me! My 40D's only 2 years old and I thought I'd be able to resist the urge to upgrade, but the reviews on the 7D are just too good. I even had a chance to play with one at the local camera shop - built like a tank and feels great. I keep telling myself I can make it to its successor, I know I can - it'll only be a year! :blush:

     

    Must....be....strong....

     

    Phil

     

    DAMN, Phil!!!! Give a girl a break! Just once, I wanted to be able to walk up to you at SDUPS and torture you with my superior ______ (trip, camera, housing, strobes, frickin' PHOTO, anything....) - and now you're telling me my wait for the 7D housing will be in vain??????? You're killing me!! I'm guessing you're not jealous of my really cute Kate Spade wedges or the fact that my sake glass always gets filled first..... See you in Catalina, biatch! av

  18. My dear Allison, your gorgeous visage and mere presence alone is already such exquisite torture :blush:

     

    And I seem to recall a recent announcement from France... ;)

     

    Phil

    Edited by philsokol
  19. it takes a bit of time to sort thru the data, but my take on the comparison between new and "old" 100 M is that at the apertures i'm shooting UW there's going to be no noticeable difference in image quality

     

    i hope the autofocus is noticeably faster and wish the test had addressed this

     

    unfortunately the macro focus limited is too narrow to be of much use UW

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.