Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New 7D Review up on DPReview

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 63Posts
  • 63Replies

Read-only discussion

New 7D Review up on DPReview

63 posts
  1. ..............Having fun now,

    Steve

     

    Welcome to the fun! I'm still learning all the optional tweaking features of the camera. I'm also interested in how others are selecting features for this camera specific to underwater situations. Maybe this should be started in a new thread.

     

    I'm little disappointed that Ikelite decided to again (like in their 5Dm2 housing) to ignore the multi-use toggle control, which I have grown to love to select various custom functions. Aquatica (and hopefully other future housings) have this. It is nice to have access to all camera controls in a housing.

     

    I do see that with the 7D I will have so many options in features that my old brain is the limiting factor. I think I will need a slate or laminated flash card to help me. My brain goes even more stupid when it hits the local cold water and additionally needs to think about checking basic safe diving procedures.

     

    I know, many of you would say: "Dive warm, calm, clear waters only", but that be too easy, too expensive and no challenge.... :wacko: [ducking and running now].

     

    Bo

  2. There are also major upgrades and new options to the Auto focus system I'm trying to get my head around. Canon has provided some nice videos to try and explain the options and how they work. Has anyone used it enough to have an opinion on AF mode for U/W?
    Having played around with mine for a few weeks now on land I think that in clear water the zone focussing system looks like a good starting place for me when I finally get my housing. In dirty water with lots of floaties manual selection of focus points will still be the way to go.

     

    The other thing you notice right away is that an 8GB card at full RAW will only hold about 292 images.
    I was surprised at how big the files compared to the 50D's.
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.