Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New 7D Review up on DPReview

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 63Posts
  • 63Replies

Read-only discussion

New 7D Review up on DPReview

63 posts
  1. I think an important thing that we see here is that cropped sensor image quality has probably reached a plateau that is more than adequate for most purposes; in that the 7D sensor comes 2 years after the D300, and image quality of the 2 cameras is clearly quite similar.

  2. Yeah they said similar about the 50D too which was nice reminder given how some web writing tends to suggest its barely above a Brownie.

     

    Otara

  3. Another 7D review that provides a side-by-side comparison to other Canon models.

     

    The review starts with:

     

    "The Canon EOS 7D is without question, the best APS-C sensor-sized DSLR Canon has ever produced (as of this review date of course). And of course, "best" is a vague word. Let me use seven or eight thousand words to clarify that sentence. "

     

    http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Can...era-Review.aspx

     

    Bo

     

    Interesting stuff Bo. It bothers me that they used two different RAW converters then compared files.

     

    More study required,

    Steve

  4. I notice that the Nauticam 7D housing is forecast to start shipping in January.

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  5. I notice that the Nauticam 7D housing is forecast to start shipping in January.

     

    And they've got a CAD design up on their Facebook fan page, looks nice! Have any of the other companies released designs yet?

     

    I spent last weekend shooting with my 7D up in the mountains around here, but ran into a problem when I got back home - there's no patch for Adobe Camera Raw for the 7D yet :) So it's not just the housing companies we're waiting for!

     

    Ryan.

  6. I have to say... and maybe it's just what's on my mind lately... but naughty cam sounds a play on innuedos ... sorta like wet pickle dot com or is it just me? :)

    Edited by Drew
  7. I have to say... and maybe it's just what's on my mind lately... but naughty cam sounds a play on innuedos ... sorta like wet pickle dot com or is it just me? :)

     

    You mean this can make naughty videos? :)

     

    I'm located in porn valley, and yes.....much is now shot in HD on hybrids.

     

    Bo

  8. You mean this can make naughty videos? :)

     

    I'm located in porn valley, and yes.....much is now shot in HD on hybrids.

     

    Bo

     

     

    Well I guess if someone is looking to make some underwater movies in the valley its a no-brainer which housing to ...

     

     

     

    - MDP

  9. Has anybody tried fitting a 7D body int a 5D MkII housing? The size and the major controls seem to be pretty close...

  10. "there's no patch for Adobe Camera Raw for the 7D yet"

     

    Ryan, not sure what you're getting at but I've been using Camera Raw with my 7D for a while now. Only full RAW works though, not MRAW or SRAW.

     

    Jean, may the machining gods treat you/us well. I've sold my 40/50D rig and neeeeeeeed metal to protect this sweetest of cameras. Land shooting just isn't the same!

     

    Damien

  11. Jean, may the machining gods treat you/us well. I've sold my 40/50D rig and neeeeeeeed metal to protect this sweetest of cameras. Land shooting just isn't the same!

     

    I am just finishing up the press release and will have picture of the 7D in this thread in about 45 minutes to an hours, stay tune :)

  12. Has anybody tried fitting a 7D body int a 5D MkII housing? The size and the major controls seem to be pretty close...

     

    Andre, glad you asked this, hadn't even thought of it to be honest. They're fairly different (the 5D doesn't have a pop up flash, so is a bit smaller on top), but managed to modify an Aquatica 5Dmkii housing yesterday to just squeeze my 7D inside. Dont have access to a lot of the controls, but the shutter lever, appeture and mode dials all work. Got in for a dive today to give it a go, and was pretty impressed. Plan on shooting like this for the next few days, then should hopefully have some images to put up :)

     

    Ryan.

  13. managed to modify an Aquatica 5Dmkii housing yesterday to just squeeze my 7D inside.

     

    That's great Ryan. What did you have to do?

     

    Steve

  14. Oh man. This makes me want a 7D housing that is later upgradable to a 5DmII. This would totally fit my plans to upgrade later to FF when the price of a 5D2 body start dropping.

     

    Then ofcourse, i would want to buy 2 housings, but I would have the controls in the same location and interchange ports and have 2 hybrid cameras on a dive. :)

     

    Bo

     

    Andre, glad you asked this, hadn't even thought of it to be honest. They're fairly different (the 5D doesn't have a pop up flash, so is a bit smaller on top), but managed to modify an Aquatica 5Dmkii housing yesterday to just squeeze my 7D inside. Dont have access to a lot of the controls, but the shutter lever, appeture and mode dials all work. Got in for a dive today to give it a go, and was pretty impressed. Plan on shooting like this for the next few days, then should hopefully have some images to put up :)

     

    Ryan.

  15. Andre, glad you asked this, hadn't even thought of it to be honest. They're fairly different (the 5D doesn't have a pop up flash, so is a bit smaller on top), but managed to modify an Aquatica 5Dmkii housing yesterday to just squeeze my 7D inside. Dont have access to a lot of the controls, but the shutter lever, appeture and mode dials all work. Got in for a dive today to give it a go, and was pretty impressed. Plan on shooting like this for the next few days, then should hopefully have some images to put up :)

     

    Ryan.

     

    Thats great Ryan! When you have the time please let us know how much functionality you have and what modification is required. I smell a new plan!! :)

  16. I just ordered the 7D and an ikelite housing, so i'm happily waiting !!! ;)

  17. My new 7D showed up yesterday and I'm very impressed. ;) From a feel standpoint the much clearer LCD and the larger viewfinder are the first things you notice from an U/W perspective coming from the 40D. There are also major upgrades and new options to the Auto focus system I'm trying to get my head around. Canon has provided some nice videos to try and explain the options and how they work. Has anyone used it enough to have an opinion on AF mode for U/W?

     

    The other thing you notice right away is that an 8GB card at full RAW will only hold about 292 images.

     

     

    They have also made a major change in offering much more selecability of the controls. You can change the operation of almost every button based on your shooting style. I think this will make it much easier to setup the camera in a housing.

     

    Having fun now,

    Steve

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.