Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Viewfinders

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 23Posts
  • 23Replies

Read-only discussion

Viewfinders

23 posts
  1. I am tempted to get one, my eyesight is probably one of the worst there is, have a lot of people thought of getting one but found they eventually manage? My D90 focuses in on the live view but it doesnt seem the quickest and a lot of the the button controls go redundant, viewfinder would be nice, but..hey I've spent a lot as it is! I can view my subject ok when I get used to it, but reading the settings is a bit of a struggle but then again I have the info screen programmed to the on/off/light button toggle, I guess I'll get used to it..or will I!?

    A 2nd hand Inon 45 could be a go-er or the Nauticam, the actual Aqyuatica's priced itself way out of the market for me, the others still are but.....hey! I wanna be comfortable taking my shot!

  2. I've got a 45 degree viwfinder on my Subal-and now that I am used to it-love it!

     

    It did take some adjustment-working out how to point the camera the right way! It gives a great view of the image, but also the info as well.

     

    Adam

  3. In a word - "yes".

     

    Composition is one of the strongest tools a photographer has. Being able to see what you create is important.

    Edited by decosnapper
  4. The new Nauticam 180 Viewfinder is one beautiful machine! having the external adjustable diopter is a huge benefit, and the only one of its kind. For $900 plus the cost of an adapter ring to your housing (Approx $30-60) it is also easily one of the best buys on the market!

  5. Thanks Mike, yeah Tim mentrioned the Nauticam one to me last night, and I've checked it out, I think 180 would be better than 90 wouldnt it? I had a go of Martin Edge's last Sunday, a bit of getting used to I think, but a lot easier to see.

     

     

    Why do they cost that much!!?? is it just because they know we needthem? Why dont they integrate them into the housings?

     

    Is there anyone out there who can confidentally say they can afford to buy one but they are happier without one?

  6. What model finder does blibecap have in these posted pictures.

     

    Inon 45 degree. Alex

  7. As a photographer and an eye doctor I can say; if you are over 40 an absolute yes.

  8. Thanks Dave. I'll wait for the shops to get back to me then with my enquiries.

  9. Sorry to hijack this thread but maybe a consideration. Does either the Inon or the Nauticam present any obstruction in seeing the LCD. Seems they both project quite a distance below the eyepiece.

  10. Sorry to hijack this thread but maybe a consideration. Does either the Inon or the Nauticam present any obstruction in seeing the LCD. Seems they both project quite a distance below the eyepiece.

    No not at all Balrog, good question, there is also the Inon 180 to consider I believe

  11. For people who are lucky enough to have tried both, do you favour the inon 45 or the 180 degree, basically looking down or at your subject? I see the advantages of both, but just wondered what people prefer?

  12. Could anyone kindly offer their valued opinion between the inon 180 and the nauticam? The 2 opinions I've had are different!

    I don't think I'll go with the inon 45.

  13. I don't think I'll go with the inon 45.

    Strangely I'm leaning towards the Inon 45, subject to finding out how much of the LCD gets obscured.

     

    - Oh the second hurdle is sanction by the Chancellor ;)

  14. Irrespective of whether you choose the 45 Degree or the 180 Degree viewfinder from any brand you are still going find the LCD partialy obscured.

    Edited by pmooney
  15. Irrespective of whether you choose the 45 Degree or the 180 Degree viewfinder from any brand you are still going find the LCD partialu obscured.

    Which leads me to big bucks aquatica ;)

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  16. I guess it depends on the camera brand - the Canon LCD is not obscured by my Seacam S180. Nikon VF's are in the middle of the camera so are more of a problem.

     

    Cheers

    James

  17. Thanks James, here's my take upto now on what is available, if anyone would disagree with any of this please let me know.

    From looking online and hearing several opinions about the inon 45 and 180, it seems to me

    that the 180's glass may be too small to view correctly and the 45 may obstruct the LCD too much and looking down on the viewfinder may not be good for wide angle. The only adapter i can find for the inon is a custom made backscatter one which is $300. There is also a dyron one but not yet available for the aquatica. There is also some difference in opinion as to the method of design of the adapter.   So this brings me to Nauticam, but I do not see the need to have the ability to alter the diopter while on a dive, the Nauticam who make their own adapter for only $50, it too tho, is reported to block the LCD a bit, which would then lead me to the Aquaticas own viewfinder, but this is $1200, which while it is priced high it has no problems with blocking the view. I would prefer to not spend this much. But if the above is all true then maybe I have not much choice other than Aquatica. Or have I!?

  18. I have just ordered an Aquatica Aquaview :good:...hope I get it in time for my Manado Chistmas trip!!!!!

     

    :goodpost::wacko:

  19. Well done on making the decision :wacko:. I'm still hovering.

     

    Do let us know how it works out.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.