Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Glass for the 7D?

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 62Posts
  • 62Replies

Read-only discussion

Glass for the 7D?

62 posts
  1. Well, I'm seriously considering upgrading my and CJ's G9's and the 7D is at the top of our list. I suspect we'll have to wait a long time to find a finer DX camera...

     

    So, the advice I'm after is about the glass.

     

    Would I be far from the mark thinking about the Canon 60mm, 100mm and 17-40mm and the Tokina 10-17mm? Or would you consider something different if you hadn't already made an investment?

     

    Of course I want to get this right, first time so your kind help is very much appreciated.

     

    Thank you, Tim

  2. :wacko: ...would You consider adopting me? :goodpost:
  3. I don't think that you need as many lenses to start with. For UK diving I would start with the 10-17mm and 60mm.

     

    Alex

  4. I second the 60 macro and 10-17 as your first two lenses, then add the 100 later. If you wanted something in between that is a good all rounder on land and under water have a look at the Sigma 17-70.

  5. I second the 60 macro and 10-17 as your first two lenses, then add the 100 later. If you wanted something in between that is a good all rounder on land and under water have a look at the Sigma 17-70.

     

    Yes, thats a lens (type) I would want before the 100mm. Now CJ's diving and photography is coming 'of age' I expect we'll be shooting more pelagics and the longer focal length may be useful. Are their any other lenses of this stamp I should consider? And with the longer focal length should I team it with a smaller dome port? I was considering an 8" Zen with the 10-17.

  6. :wacko: ...would You consider adopting me? :good:

     

    I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't a proposal of marriage... :goodpost:

  7. I think if you're going with an APS-C camera, I'd skip the 17-40L and go with the 17-70 Sigma or some similar longer-range zoom (Canon 17-85 is nice but not a macro lens). Otherwise I echo what the others have said - go w/ 10-17 and 60mm or Sigma 50mm for starters.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. the lens choices depend on subject - i find the 60 to be at high magnification to close to the front of the port for good lighting of small critters and not to have enough reach for skittish ones like shrimp gobies

     

    it may not make a difference UW, but on land the 7D really needs good glass to realize it's potential - the 17-55 2.8 and 17-40 are in that class although the 17-55 lacks the build quality and is one of the more fragile Canon lenses (i'm about to replace my 17-85 with a 17-40). i have a bias against Sigma's reliability and service but don't know about the 17-70 in particular

  9. Hey, congrats! ... I'm sorry to lose a charter member of the 'G' club ... but I think you'll be happy.

     

    My hunch is that you might like the 100mm better than the 60mm ... but I'm only saying that because you like to shoot the UCLs at long focal lengths with lots of working distance.

  10. I think if you're going with an APS-C camera, I'd skip the 17-40L and go with the 17-70 Sigma or some similar longer-range zoom (Canon 17-85 is nice but not a macro lens). Otherwise I echo what the others have said - go w/ 10-17 and 60mm or Sigma 50mm for starters.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

    I would also agree with the 10-17 and 60mm as first choices. For an alround range, has anyone tried the new Canon 15-85mm IS underwater? I've used it above water and the results were very nice.

  11. I use the Canon 17-85mm as workhorse and find it very versatile and it's good in poor light. I have the Canon 100mm which I use less often in UK waters but which I like when I do use - but it's not a good auto focuser in poor light and it's not great in bad vis. I also have the Tokina 10-17 which I haven't used much in the UK as yet so I haven't come to an informed opinion yet on it.

  12. And with the longer focal length should I team it with a smaller dome port? I was considering an 8" Zen with the 10-17.
    I've been using an 8" dome port with my 10-17, 12-24 and 17-70. While this is a good size for the 12-24 and 17-70 I find it too big for the 10-17 and am about to buy a smaller dome for this lens. The Zen Underwater DP-100 100mm Fisheye Dome Port for Subal is what I'm looking at getting.
  13. I've been using an 8" dome port with my 10-17, 12-24 and 17-70. While this is a good size for the 12-24 and 17-70 I find it too big for the 10-17 and am about to buy a smaller dome for this lens. The Zen Underwater DP-100 100mm Fisheye Dome Port for Subal is what I'm looking at getting.

     

    Hey Gudge,

    Why do you find the 8" to large for the 10-17? I'm finally going to buy one but thought it'd be perfect behind my 8".

     

    it may not make a difference UW, but on land the 7D really needs good glass to realize it's potential - the 17-55 2.8 and 17-40 are in that class although the 17-55 lacks the build quality and is one of the more fragile Canon lenses (i'm about to replace my 17-85 with a 17-40). i have a bias against Sigma's reliability and service but don't know about the 17-70 in particular

     

    I just got a 17-55 to go with my 7D, after playing around with both that and the 17-40L. While the build quality on the EFS lens isn't as good as the L, it's performance is far better.

     

    Ryan.

  14. Hey Gudge,

    Why do you find the 8" to large for the 10-17? I'm finally going to buy one but thought it'd be perfect behind my 8".

    I could have explained that better, I'm not replacing the 8" dome with a 4" dome for the 10-17 I'm just giving myself another option with the lens. While I've been very happy with the 8" dome and 10-17 for most of the time, I've started doing some of Alex Mustards's wide-angle macro technique and find the 8" dome is just too big to get the strobes where I want to get the lighting right. Depending on where I am and what I'm shooting I will continue using both the 8" and 4" dome with the 10-17
  15. Hey Tim

    Isn't great how much help you get when you want to spend some money. I'd add my vote to the chorus for the 10-17. I'd add the 60 to the kit for your green water and add the 100mm if you go to the red sea or nice blue water location. Congrats on the new camera, the 7D is an amazing piece of gear.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  16. It's hard to disagree any comments on here thus far. I'm in the 60mm and 10-17mm camp.

     

    Has anyone used the new 100mm L IS yet on the 7D? I found the older one too sluggish when it came to IS (compared to the 60mm anyway). As someone said, the 100's difficult to use in dirty water.

     

    I'd advise against the Canon 10-22mm as a wide zoom due to soft/blury edges.

  17. Wow, what terrific advice and help. Thanks everyone.

     

    So, in a nutshell the selection includes;

     

    1. Canon 60mm

    2. Canon 100mm

    3. Tokina 10-17mm with 8" and (for w/a macro) 4" domes

    4. For a mid-range zoom the choice includes;

    Canon 17-40mm - no adverse comments

    Canon 17-55mm - suspect build quality?

    Canon 17-85mm - no macro

    Sigma 17-70mm - reliability?

     

    It seem as though there is a clear concensus regarding lenses 1-3 and for lens 4 the 17-40 is in front by a nose. Anything else to throw into the pot?

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  18. The 4" dome is an interesting point. This might be housing dependent as upon a quick look I couldn't find a Zen 4" port for Aquatica. They may exist, and I'd be greatful if someone can point one out. I'm interesting in small dome for tec dives as it's more manageable. The Aquatica 6" doesn't seem small enough to justify buying it when I have an 8"

  19. Wow, what terrific advice and help. Thanks everyone.

     

    So, in a nutshell the selection includes;

     

    1. Canon 60mm

    2. Canon 100mm

    3. Tokina 10-17mm with 8" and (for w/a macro) 4" domes

    4. For a mid-range zoom the choice includes;

    Canon 17-40mm - no adverse comments

    Canon 17-55mm - suspect build quality?

    Canon 17-85mm - no macro

    Sigma 17-70mm - reliability?

     

    It seem as though there is a clear concensus regarding lenses 1-3 and for lens 4 the 17-40 is in front by a nose. Anything else to throw into the pot?

     

     

    Hi Tim

     

    For your midrange zooms, let me try and clear it up a bit (in my opinion anyway).

     

    The problem with the first three you listed underwater is they don't focus very close, and I'm yet to hear of anyone doing well with any of them on a crop sensor body. The Sigma, being a macro, focuses nice and close (I shoot mine without a dioptre), and has pretty decent quality images. I'd say this is probably my most used lens underwater these days, although it can't beat either a good fish eye or macro at either end.

     

    The build quality on the 17-55 is only less than the L quality lenses, however you'll find it's better than the other two you mentioned, and (with the exception maybe of the new 15-85) better than most of Canon's non-L zooms. It is, however, a large lens, and not one you'd use in the water. Fantastic on land of course, most regard it as the best option for a Canon crop body (image quality beats the 17-40, just look at some of the reviews around).

     

    Out of curiosity, what housings are you looking at? I had a look at a Nauticam D90 housing today, and was very impressed. Can't wait to see their 7D housing (although I'm sticking to Aquatica).

     

    I've been shooting with my 7D underwater for the last two weeks (still need to put up some pics!), and am loving it, as I'm sure you will too!

     

    Ryan.

  20. Canon 17-85mm - no macro

    Sigma 17-70mm - reliability?

    I have both these lenses. The results I've achieved backup the reviews I've read, the 17-70 is a much better lens. As for reliability, my 17-70 has had way more use than the 17-85 and has never missed a beat. The 17-85 on the other hand is having issues with autofocus and needs to go back to Canon for repair.
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.