Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Why Hitler Doesn't Dive the Channel Islands

Started by bvanant ·

  • 51Posts
  • 51Replies

Read-only discussion

Why Hitler Doesn't Dive the Channel Islands

51 posts
  1. Party-pooper time:

     

    ... would this have been greeted with the same hilarity if it had been Osama bin Laden? ... or Howard Shipman (look it up...)?

     

    Scrooge

     

    :D

     

    Mocking the mental anguish of criminals against humanity is just fine by my book. As opposed to say lauding them or showing them any sort of respect of any kind.

     

    It's an internet meme. No different than all the different rants that have been attached to Christian Bale's meltdown on the Terminator:Salvation set. (In that case, its just funny to mock the incredibly self-indulgent outrage of someone way too full of himself for his own good).

     

    Is either one in "good taste"? Probably not - the 'warhammer' reference alone guarantees that. But yes, if Osama were similarly spoofed and made to look like an imbecile, I'd find it very funny. Preferably if same was done after he'd been caught and appropriately sentenced for his crimes by a suitably reserved court of law (vs. the unfortunate spectacle that Saddam's trial became). Mocking the memory of monsters is (one hopes!!) one way of remembering them and hopefully innoculating society against future equivalents. I know, I'm dreaming there. Humanity will just introduce new and totally different monsters. Merry Xmas-Eve thoughts... :)

     

    As for Shipman, did you mean Harold perhaps, serial killer British Dr.? Might not be well known enough to be globally funny if so mocked. Don't really recall much about that story myself....

  2. Hahahaha that was hilarious. I just showed it to my buddy at work who's a DM. :):good::D

  3. There are several other of those hitler flicks on youtube...

  4. Tim,

     

    I hope that it would Tim, in all of this PC correct world that we inhabit there sometimes needs to be out-takes and crikey the brits practicality invented this type of humour.

     

    As far as I am aware I am the only punter on this board from the 'real' Channel Islands and Hitlers mates DID invade them and WERE responsible for some very ugly stuff.

     

    They did however leave us with a fine collection of wrecks to dive.

     

    I still think the spoof is hilarious, but then again I also received several Howard Shipmen and countless bin Laden text message jokes when they were about.

     

    Paul C

     

     

    Paul,

     

    Most of the viewes here think that the Channel Islands are off the coast of California. Don't confuse them with strange geography lessons!

  5. Paul,

     

    Most of the viewes here think that the Channel Islands are off the coast of California. Don't confuse them with strange geography lessons!

    Isn't one of your channel islands named after an American east coast state?

    Bill

  6. Isn't one of your channel islands named after an American east coast state?

     

    The 'new' in the state name may just be a clue there Bill as to quite who got there first :) .

     

    The 'real' Channel Islands last changed from French to British ownership last back in 1066 - as far as I am aware you lot were not discovered until 1492 ( lets ignore Leif Ericson in a vain attempt to drag the scandinavians into this particular conflict ).

     

    Anyhow I have to be careful as I am currently in California and your immigration guys may not let me out if I am rude.

     

    Most of the viewes here think that the Channel Islands are off the coast of California. Don't confuse them with strange geography lessons!

     

    John, I think you may have a point.

     

    Paul C (tounge firmly in cheek).

  7. The 'real' Channel Islands last changed from French to British ownership last back in 1066

     

    So England gets invaded and gets ownership. Gotcha, good plan :yahoo:

     

    tongue really reallly really firmly in cheek, but you did start on those of us in one of you favorite colonies :)

  8. Party-pooper time:

     

    ... would this have been greeted with the same hilarity if it had been Osama bin Laden? ... or Howard Shipman (look it up...)?

     

    Scrooge

     

    :)

    It most certainly would down under. We have (had since they over stepped the mark more than a tad) had a comedy group called "The Chaser". They regularly had Osama spoofs on their TV show (broadcast on our equivalent of the BBC). They even invaded the APEC conference dressed as Osama (in a limo flying Canadian flags).

     

    Here are just a few of many: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer..._type=&aq=f

    Edited by ATJ
  9. So England gets invaded and gets ownership. Gotcha, good plan :)

     

    tongue really reallly really firmly in cheek, but you did start on those of us in one of you favorite colonies :good:

     

     

    I have to be careful - I am currently in your fine country for another week.

     

    Though I have noticed that English is no longer spoken here.

     

     

    Paul C

  10. Though I have noticed that English is no longer spoken here.

     

    Whoose ya talkin' about, we'se in the US talk good English.....

  11. My point entirely.

     

    Paul C ( ColoUr - we own the U ).

  12. My point entirely.

     

    Paul C ( ColoUr - we own the U ).

     

    I thought someone else owned the U? I thought it was Todd who had the "Owns the U" in the sig, but it may have beeen someone else. Anyway, you will have to take that issue up with them. As for me, keep the U in color and also the other places where you put extra letters in. I find it way too much effort using those extra letters :good:

  13. Let's just agree that we got the culture while you got the Dollars!

  14. Let's just agree that we got the culture while you got the Dollars!

     

     

    LOL, sounds good to me.

  15. I thought culture included the finer culinary arts. I think you got short changed in that deal.

  16. I thought culture included the finer culinary arts. I think you got short changed in that deal.

     

    Nice way to break the tentative peace agreement that was in place.

  17. Nice way to break the tentative peace agreement that was in place.

     

    Don't worry. I'm sending Gordon Ramsey round to help him learn about cooking!

  18. I thought culture included the finer culinary arts. I think you got short changed in that deal.

    Actually there are lots of folk who think that London is the premier food city in the world. Alain Ducasse no less thinks London is the best restaurant city in the world. But only if you have lots of money I guess.

     

     

     

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/70...-the-world.html

     

    Bill

  19. Actually there are lots of folk who think that London is the premier food city in the world.

     

     

    Benedict Arnold.

  20. Actually there are lots of folk who think that London is the premier food city in the world. Alain Ducasse no less thinks London is the best restaurant city in the world. But only if you have lots of money I guess.

     

    I'll have to support that, even if Ducasse is now a culinary 'ho, albeit a smart one. Still I think it's only in London that the victuals are good. I guess joining the EU and the immigrants actually helped the Brits improve their cuisine.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.