Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Why Hitler Doesn't Dive the Channel Islands

Started by bvanant ·

  • 51Posts
  • 51Replies

Read-only discussion

Why Hitler Doesn't Dive the Channel Islands

51 posts
  1. I'll have to support that, even if Ducasse is now a culinary 'ho, albeit a smart one. Still I think it's only in London that the victuals are good. I guess joining the EU and the immigrants actually helped the Brits improve their cuisine.

    I spent some Postdoc time in Canterbury in the late 70's and the food was for the most part not very good. The beer however was memorable.

    Bill

  2. Alain Ducasse no less thinks London is the best restaurant city in the world.

     

    Bill, let me get this straight. My British friends are quoting a French chef to explain how good the food is in London? Maybe this EU thing will work out after all. I probably shouldn't have taken the earlier shot. The last time I was in London we ate very well. There was this wonderful Italian resturant...

     

    I can't really talk too loudly, where I come from if it doesn't come smothered in chiles and wrapped in a tortilla we won't touch it. Besides, you get all the credit for inventing Guiness. Major points on the culture scale!

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. I spent some Postdoc time in Canterbury in the late 70's and the food was for the most part not very good. The beer however was memorable.

    Bill

     

     

    We only got good food after we paid back the Lend/Lease money so that now we can afford it. I was brought up on mashed potatoes and custard - thanks Mr Truman.

  4. Steve... Guinness is from where?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

     

    Tsk.. :lol:

     

    :good::)

    Edited by MikeVeitch
  5. Don't our friends in the UK get to claim that great Irish libation? How about Scotch, that should be worth some points?

    Hey who actually invented rum? The British navy at least spread it all over the world. I think more study is called for. :good:

     

    Steve

  6. I think more study is called for. :good:

     

     

    I am sensing road trip, where we going? Islands that have rum? Sounds good....

  7. Don't our friends in the UK get to claim that great Irish libation? How about Scotch, that should be worth some points?

     

    Steve - stop digging there mate - you are just getting deeper into trouble......

     

     

    Paul C

  8. For more information on the origins of guiness i.e. stout - see

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness

     

     

     

    Steve - stop digging there mate - you are just getting deeper into trouble......

     

     

    Paul C

  9. Steve - stop digging there mate - you are just getting deeper into trouble......

     

    You're absolutely right Paul, I shall cease and desist. Maybe I'll just drink.. Thanks to Damo I now know "Guinness is good for you"

    Who knew,

    Steve

  10. Hey Steve,

     

    Actually the best Guinness comes out of a pipeline in the north sea-but anyway- cheers- or as we say in Ireland- Slainte (phonetically- Slaw-in-tch-eh)

     

    Maybe if you ever visit our fair shores sometime in the future- do partake in a Guiness!

     

    Yes-it is good for you- but after twenty pints of it- all sorts of weird and wonderful things happen to your perception- and your stomach.

    Don't mention Leprechauns.

     

    :):good:

    You're absolutely right Paul, I shall cease and desist. Maybe I'll just drink.. Thanks to Damo I now know "Guinness is good for you"

    Who knew,

    Steve

  11. And to add confusion heaped upon contradiction, didn't the Brits also invent "Russian" Stout and "India Pale Ale"? Names denoted what front and/or colony they were bound for, I'd thought.

     

    I thought the food in London was pretty good. Love a good curry. :good:

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.