Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Camera Handle Bars

Started by jakelevenson ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera Handle Bars

7 posts
  1. Hi everybody,

     

    I'm wondering if people could share discreptions or ideally photos of their rigs. I'm curious what kind of grip/handle/carry bar (not really sure what you'd call it) folks use on their housings. In passing over the years I've seen a variety of custom carrying handles folks have machined, fashioned, duct taped, or otherwise assembled. I'm curious what's out there, what works, what doesn't.

     

    As always, thanks so much for the advice!

     

    Jake

  2. Housings generally come with handles to which one adds arms.

     

    I posted a couple of examples in this thread: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...mp;#entry236686

     

    I use a blend of ULCS, TLC, Seacam, and Subtronic arm components. These all use 1" balls enabling mixing and matching across brands. I use the same stuff for diving but without the TLC tray on the bottom (which is there to provide stability on the uneven stream bottom).

     

    When diving it may be useful to connect two arms (when using two arms) with short straps that have a fastex buckle between them (available in dive shops). The trick is to make it easy for someone on the boat to pass your housing to you after entering. Sometimes just using a built-in handle (housing held side-ways - left or right side up) works better.

     

    The attached pic is a few years old. I had been in HI shortly before I took this picture and still had the housing arms configured as I had used it there. The two arms are connected via one of these straps. There is also a neckstrap which I generally do not use. I was trying it out as a way of carrying the housing around in a stream leaving my arms to move or hold branches etc.

    post-3540-1262726431.jpg

    Edited by Tom_Kline
  3. We use Ultra Lite handles on our Subal housings. Comfortable, adjustable, rubber grips.

    post-6133-1262831614.jpg

  4. I don't think I'm quite conveying this properly. Check out the attached picture below of a friends rig. I'm talking about the aluminum colored piece you see bridging one grip with another. Just exploring easier way to hand my housing up and position my strobes creatively. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakelevenson/4263895528

  5. I use a length of nylon webbing inserted through some fish tank filter tubing with clips on the ends. I clip the strap ends onto my ULCS handles just below the balls and it goes between them across the top of the housing. Works just great and doesn't interfere with the existing strobe arms. Can't show you on the housing as I've got it broken down for storage. However, you should get the idea from the attached photo.

     

    Mike

    post-28-1265306275.jpg

    Edited by MikeO

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.