Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam announces the new 7D housing

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 81Posts
  • 81Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam announces the new 7D housing

81 posts
  1. Check out the new housing on the Nauticam USA website. Look close, there is a lot new here. You can also read about it in the latest UWP magazine.

     

    It should be noted that the images look computer generated. First deliveries set for Feb.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  2. Man, that looks really nice Steve - I can't wait to try one. I like the way they have paid close attention to the video ergonomics. And that port mount design is wow!

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Really sweet engineering from the new kid on the block. I had a chance to handle one of their housings at DEMA and the port mount design is indeed cool and the cushy handles are a nice feature. Too bad I bought the 5D MK II right before they announced the 7D. Does anyone know if they will have an adapter to handle Sea & Sea ports?

  4. Check out the new housing on the Nauticam USA website. Look close, there is a lot new here. You can also read about it in the latest UWP magazine.

     

    It should be noted that the images look computer generated. First deliveries set for Feb.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Guess we'll have to get 3 D glasses to get a real "feel" with the dCAD images provided...LOL I can't wait to get my hands on one and see how each control works. I wished the images explained the corresponding knob with 7D camera control. Which knob/dial operates what camera function?

     

    Lots of innovative design features. Bravo!

     

    Who will be first on a user report for this housing?

     

    Bo

  5. I should have one for testing in a week or two. Also, Tony Wu and I will be using them at the Night Safari Lembeh in late Feb / early Mar.

  6. I should have one for testing in a week or two.

     

    Take great notes Eric, there are a bunch of us trying to decide between the Aquatica and the new Nauticam. Not to mention what Sea & Sea comes out with.

     

    Thanks!

    Steve

  7. Or Subal!

     

    Phil

  8. Does anyone know if they will have an adapter to handle Sea & Sea ports?

     

    The o-ring sealing surface is exactly the same on both Sea & Sea NX/DX/MDX and Nauticam housings. Any Sea & Sea port that has the plastic bayonet ring held on by 16 screws can be adapted to a Nauticam housing with a replacement bayonet part.

  9. I just posted this press release to our front page (includes a bunch of photos):

     

    It looks like there is no way to mount a single modeling light in the center of the top of the housing because of the clasp being where the hot shoe would be. Is there a way, or will it have to be mounted on one side or the other?

     

    I much prefer having the modeling light dead in the center, much easier to aim instinctively.

    Edited by saudio
  10. It looks like there is no way to mount a single modeling light in the center of the top of the housing because of the clasp being where the hot shoe would be. Is there a way, or will it have to be mounted on one side or the other?

     

    I much prefer having the modeling light dead in the center, much easier to aim instinctively.

    There is a mount on the compact port base for attaching a focus light:

     

    port-base-600.jpg

     

    In the 3D CAD renderings posted earlier in this thread it is the black bit on the port just below the Nauticam logo on the housing. A ULCS AD-HS - Hot shoe adapter with ball should fit in this nicely and allow you to attach a focus light in line with the centre of the camera:

     

    DSCN0220.jpg

    Edited by Gudge
  11. Any Sea & Sea port that has the plastic bayonet ring held on by 16 screws can be adapted to a Nauticam housing with a replacement bayonet part.

     

    That truly is brilliant. :) Does it come with a cool yellow hand strap too? :)

     

    Seriously, I'm thinking this is the way to go for me. I'm still slightly concerned about all the new buttons and such (piano keys, etc.). How much operational testing has the housing been through? Does any body know?

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  12. Does it come with a cool yellow hand strap too? :)
    Doesn't look like they have a handstrap available for any of their housings. My Subal hand strap will have to modified again to fit their handles (it was previously modified to fit the ULCS handles on my current Subal housing).
  13. There is a mount on the compact port base for attaching a focus light:

     

    port-base-600.jpg

     

    In the 3D CAD renderings posted earlier in this thread it is the black bit on the port just below the Nauticam logo on the housing. A ULCS AD-HS - Hot shoe adapter with ball should fit in this nicely and allow you to attach a focus light in line with the centre of the camera:

     

    DSCN0220.jpg

     

    Excellent Gudge. Thanks.

  14. Steve,

     

    I know they have been testing the units in the field and making changes off the feedback which is why the housings were delayed a few weeks from initial launch. There are supposed to be two housings going out for intense field testing anyday now. Once that is done, they will make any final changes based off the recommendations and tests before starting shipping of the production models.

     

    I believe the latest estimate for delivery is now first week of February.

  15. The o-ring sealing surface is exactly the same on both Sea & Sea NX/DX/MDX and Nauticam housings. Any Sea & Sea port that has the plastic bayonet ring held on by 16 screws can be adapted to a Nauticam housing with a replacement bayonet part.

     

    Does the replacement part preserve the same camera to port distance as in a Sea&Sea housing? I think it is important for certain lens/port combinations...

  16. One more question, are the strobe arms designed to be attached to the handles or to the threaded holes on the housing itself? Ir either one?

     

    If either one, what are the advantages of one attachment point vs the other?

  17. Does the replacement part preserve the same camera to port distance as in a Sea&Sea housing? I think it is important for certain lens/port combinations...

     

    Yes, they do.

     

    One more question, are the strobe arms designed to be attached to the handles or to the threaded holes on the housing itself? Ir either one?

     

    If either one, what are the advantages of one attachment point vs the other?

     

    Since the handles are plastic, they can be a bit springy with big strobes, so I'd put YS-250 or DS-160 on the housing mounts. With smaller strobes, the rig can be set up however you'd like.

  18. Ryan just sent me this photo of the first Nauticam 7D prototype:

     

    nauticam7d-prototype.jpg

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.