Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam announces the new 7D housing

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 81Posts
  • 81Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam announces the new 7D housing

81 posts
  1. As far as I know, Nauticam does not have a plan for a flat wide port, but, one nice thing is that with the range of port adapters we have, you can use one of the existing flat ports (i.e. S&S, Seatool) that might work. Right now none of the 17-70's are on our port charts... which one are you planning on using? What diopter are you planning to use? Are you set on using this in a flat port - would you consider a dome?

     

    This one

     

    I was hoping to use this lens as a substitute for both my Canon 60mm Macro and my Canon 18-55, but I do own and want to use a Subsee 10X with the sigma, so a dome port is not going to work.

  2. Check out the new housing on the Nauticam USA website. Look close, there is a lot new here. You can also read about it in the latest UWP magazine.

     

    It should be noted that the images look computer generated. First deliveries set for Feb.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

     

    Can anyone tell me that, if the Nauticam support INON port and 45 degree viewfinder or not??

  3. Can anyone tell me that, if the Nauticam support INON port and 45 degree viewfinder or not??

     

    i'd like to know that too.

  4. I had posted this question in a different thread.. the wrong thread... so here it is again... thanks

     

    Did'nt they have an assessory camera housing strap on the web site... I thought I saw it the other day, its gone now..

     

    Just wanted to see what it looked like and how it works... I'm suprised more houseing manufacturers don't have these

    straps..

     

    I designed this hand strap for my Sea & sea housing to mimic the ones on the subals. The metal plate was laser cut out of stainless steel and bent to shape and the strap part was stitched up by a local wetsuit shop. I have also designed a similar hand strap for the bigger Gates housing handles. They really make quite a difference.

     

    Mark

     

     

     

     

    post-22618-1264701459.jpg

  5. I designed this hand strap for my Sea & sea housing to mimic the ones on the subals. The metal plate was laser cut out of stainless steel and bent to shape and the strap part was stitched up by a local wetsuit shop. I have also designed a similar hand strap for the bigger Gates housing handles. They really make quite a difference.

     

    Mark

     

     

     

     

    post-22618-1264701459.jpg

     

    Can we see a shot from the bottom of the housing? I have to make one of those for mine.

  6. No problem

     

    post-22618-1264705374.jpg

     

     

    post-22618-1264705342.jpg

  7. No problem

     

    post-22618-1264705374.jpg

     

     

    post-22618-1264705342.jpg

     

     

    Thanks, nice work. A hand strap is hard to do without once you have gotten used to it.

  8. Can anyone tell me that, if the Nauticam support INON port and 45 degree viewfinder or not??

    I think Chris posted somewhere that the Inon 45 degree viewfinder can be used on Nauticam housings, but after reading the reports of everyone raving about the Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder I'm going to hold off until Nauticam release their own 45 degree viewfinder because it sounds like it will be significantly better than the Inon - I hope they get it out before I go to Bali at the beginning of May as I want to shoot macro and I need a 45 degree viewfinder for that.

    Edited by RedSeaDiver
  9. It will take Inon viewfinders with a 32mm barrel. on my one for nexus it has 2 locating pins, that might be an issue. I suspect that as the Nauticam viewfinder is compatible with Sea and Sea housings then any of the Inon viewfinders intended for Sea and Sea will fit the Nauticam.

    Edited by Scuba_SI
  10. Nauticam viewfinders are compatible with nearly all housings, however mounting rings are generally necessary for each housing. Currently there are mounting rings for Ikelite, Sea & Sea, Aquatica and Nexus housings.

  11. ooh, cool! I cant wait to get hold of the viewfinder.

     

    *Nikon boy leaves Canon thread* :)

  12. Has anyone had their hands on one of these and used it? How are the ergonomics? Thanks. :good:

  13. We received our first preproduction sample yesterday, and it is stunning. This housing has the best ergonomics of any housing for Canon that I've ever held. The piano keys are an outstanding implementation, providing easy access to the set button from the handle. The video controls make using the video functionality of the camera more ergonomic than they are on the camera.

     

    I was hoping to use this lens as a substitute for both my Canon 60mm Macro and my Canon 18-55, but I do own and want to use a Subsee 10X with the sigma, so a dome port is not going to work.

     

    The minimum focus distance of the 17-70 at 70mm is so so short that I'm not sure using it with a Subsee makes any sense, and by extension, I'm not sure that purchasing a flat port just to use it is a good plan. I like the lens behind a dome as a change of pace from my closeup lenses, and for shooting skittish sharks. This lens would work well in the Nauticam 6" dome, which isn't too big for travel, and probably weighs less than one of the wide flat ports (but I'd have to check that).

  14. We received our first preproduction sample yesterday, and it is stunning. This housing has the best ergonomics of any housing for Canon that I've ever held. The piano keys are an outstanding implementation, providing easy access to the set button from the handle. The video controls make using the video functionality of the camera more ergonomic than they are on the camera.

     

     

     

    The minimum focus distance of the 17-70 at 70mm is so so short that I'm not sure using it with a Subsee makes any sense, and by extension, I'm not sure that purchasing a flat port just to use it is a good plan. I like the lens behind a dome as a change of pace from my closeup lenses, and for shooting skittish sharks. This lens would work well in the Nauticam 6" dome, which isn't too big for travel, and probably weighs less than one of the wide flat ports (but I'd have to check that).

     

    The minimum focusing distance on the 17-70 lens is 8 inches. On my kit lens the I'm guessing it's about 10 inches. With my kit lens the Subsee seems to make a huge difference.

     

    Would that same dome port be a good choice for the Tok 10-17? I don't think that's the one I have ordered from you.

  15. Our friends at Nauticam USA have posted a short review of the 7D housing in the water. Check it out here; http://nauticamusa.com/

     

    The control funtionality is interesting.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  16. I just returned from a short trip out to Florida where I spent some time with the Nauticam 7d prototype thanks to Chris and Ryan. Weather did not cooperate with my trip AT ALL...but I was able to get a dive in at BLue Heron, a day in Crystal River, and another day on the reefs off West Palm. The housing is truly an amazing piece of machinery, the most ergonomic housing ive laid my hands on in 10 years of shooting, and the Nauticam 180 viewfinder was simply out standing.

     

    I have a full "first look" report, some images I took with the camera, and some images of the housing close up that I will be posting tonight in my report.

  17. Here is a picture of me diving the Nauticam 7D prototype in Crystal River last week (taken by Jacalyn Pelloni). Sample pics from the camera are almost ready. I had to upgrade to CS4!

    post-4381-1266429648.jpg

    Edited by Mike L
  18. Our friends at Nauticam USA have posted a short review of the 7D housing in the water. Check it out here; http://nauticamusa.com/

     

    While members are most welcome to post links to the manufacturer reviews, I feel it important to emphasize this particular blog entry is from the rep and not an independent source. I sincerely hope Chris does not find this offensive, but as the US rep for Nauticam, the blog seems to be more overview with garnishing rather than a review.

    Is it fair we discount the opinion of someone, solely because they represent the brand they are "reviewing?" No, but unfortunately, their links to the brand may afford the hint of hesitation of belief in total objectiveness. As Dr Mustard has noted, objective and independent viewpoints are better considered as reviews. But even those tend to show personal preferences (and thus a different kind of bias) for certain brands since it's usually their own housings they are reviewing, so they are most comfortable with idiosyncrasies that could be of issue for other users. Still, at least the notion of brand bias is much less because they are not tied to the brand as a representative.

    Edited by Drew
  19. If you need a RAW converter for testing out the Canon 7D one great way is to download Phaseone Capture One software... its on version 5 now and does

    a great job converting the 7D RAW files.. the tryout is for 30days..

     

    I also tried out DXO and it was fun watching that program correct the 15mm fisheye....

     

    Also, if you can find where Phaseone is touring the USA right now, they are giving each attendee a free license for just letting them show you the software...

    thats a great deal...

  20. but as the US rep for Nauticam, the blog seems to be more overview with garnishing rather than a review.

     

     

    Good point Drew, That's why I noted that Nauticam had posted it. Maybe not obvious enough. "Overview with garnishing"? How about we just call it marketing. Actually while I normally run screaming from the room when the marketeers show up, in this case I'm finding what Nauticam is doing is kind of refreshing. I sure wouldn't have bet a year ago that there was room for a new housing manufacturer but they are doing all the right things, at least so far. My sense is that they have figured out that many of us spend a bunch of time dreaming and planning our next system. On the other side of the coin we have our friends from Sea & Sea. They make great gear but where is the Sea & Sea 7D housing? I haven't seen one picture or snippet of info and this from a company that should be out in front like Aquatica's great choice for the 7D. If they aren't careful they are going to miss the boat. S&S has made a dumb choice on their 7D price point IMHO. It's going to be right there with Subal and I'll bet you a beer who wins that race unless S&S has some magic up their sleeve. But if they do they better be telling us.

     

    The Nauticam marketing guys are out in force. It's kind of fun to watch. They have left an impression that they actually care about what we photo types want. I have counted at least three nice websites with pictures just in the US with distributers popping up all over the world. Of course, as you say, it remains to be seen if the product will meet up with the marketing. For me personally I've scheduled a trip to Monterey in a couple of weeks to go fondle the gear for myself. If they don't deliver the goods the choice for me gets easy.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.