Drew,
Clearly you did not read my comments carefully before you went into your attack mode, just as you did when you attacked my comments on Hartenberger strobes and the Heinrichs Weikamp i-TTL converter.
You wrote, "Obviously if the AF-S 24mm produces results equal or better than the Canon equivalent ON a Nikon, then it's a good thing." I did not suggest putting the Canon lens on a Nikon because that doesn't work. BUT you can mount a Nikon lens on a Canon camera, which is what I suggested doing. And, in fact, Canon themselves made the first mount adapters to do this. I suggested doing this ONLY because very few of us own or have access to the instruments necessary to do independent resolution testing and/or MTF testing ourselves. IF you could test both lenses on the very same camera body, then camera and sensor differences would be eliminated as a variable. And any differences you saw in the final image would be due to differences in the lenses. That is the basis of the scientific method - eliminate other variables so that your test is valid for what you want to test. It is not, as you claim, "a round about way of doing things"
I said that almost every video camera incorporates image stabilization. (And they make this stabilization available over the full range of the camera's fixed zoom lens (or lenses if the camera has interchangeable lenses) because the stabilization is built into the video camera body, not in individual lenses. Your reply, "VR/IS/OIS can help but also can hurt. In surge or current, the OIS can be tricked into thinking it is moving when it's not suppose to be, thus you get a jumpy picture. UW IS is not always a good alternative to good diving skills and steady arms." Yes, you can almost always find some situation in which a good tool or technique doesn't work. But get back to the basic statement. DO YOUR VIDEO CAMERAS HAVE IMAGE STABILIZATION? DO YOU USE IT FREQUENTLY UNDERWATER and/or topside when your camera is handheld? If the answer is "yes", then you should have stated so before railing on about the exceptions.
YOU promote yourself on WetPixel as a "video expert". Have you shot for BBC wildlife productions? Have the videos you've produced won any significant awards - like winning the professional division at the Antibes UW festival? Or San Diego Film festival? On what basis do you claim your "video expertise" to advise others? On what ACTUAL result(s)? Or is your claim to video expertise based only on the fact that you have more than six thousand posts on WetPixel? As the lady said years ago in the Wendy's Hamburger ads, "Where's the BEEF?" I rarely promote myself as anything special. I simply post comments that I think will help others based on my experience with that particular equipment. And based on the fact that I have many years of experience in underwater photography and have the photo credits and awards to verify the knowledge and experience to comment.
When I have commented on particular pieces of gear, such as the Heinrich-Weikamp i-TTL converter, it is usually because I have experience with THAT piece of gear. Usually having bought it and shot with it. And therefore feel qualified to comment on it. That is why most of my comments have been about Nikon products, not Canon or Sony. When you said that your Heinrichs-Weikamp converter had died, I offered to buy the your no-longer-working converter to use it for spare parts for my own - IF it had not been flooded. I never got a response from you on that. Why not? If you didn't like HW converter to start with and it no longer worked, why keep it? Or did you ever really own one? Yet you felt compelled to post that HW had stopped selling their external converter - totally disregarding and ignoring the fact that Sea & Sea had adopted the HW technology for the Sea & Sea i-TTL converter. As has Subtronic, and several other strobe manufacturers. Ignoring the fact that the HW technology works, and works well.
Is that the even-handed, fair kind of information that people come to WetPixel for? Or is this simply your way of promoting particular products, by knocking others?
Are you or others at WetPixel receiving products or discounts on underwater photo gear without being honest enough to state that up front (as Michael Reichman does on Luminous-Landscape) when you promote those same products?
Fred