I have several views on this myself. Ive learned a lot on this site, as well as others over the years. I am also a participant on several forums in other industries where I have no vested interest, so I can see both sides of the coin here.
As a general public user, I doubt anyone viewing the reports/opinions, etc of myself, Jean, Chris, Ryan, etc are unaware we have vested interested in much of what we are reviewing or commenting on. On the side of Chris & Jean, they clearly only represent ONE company each. Are they biased, sure. HOWEVER, they are clearly two of the most well informed people to support the users of this forum with questions, concerns or problems of those manufacturer products. When they give first look photos, samples, and info before a product is released, we all ooohhhh and ahhhhh...when they write a review or a report, I think we all know that it has some bias, so perhaps we absorb 80-85% of it! But much of it is hard, factual information on the specs and features of the product. Neither them, nor I are trying to be secretive about our overall interests. My signature has the h2o site, our new Gates & Nauticam dedicated sites...and if space allowed, Id also post the additional 8 websites we have being built right now that are manufacturer specific for Sea & Sea, Ikelite, L&M, and others...Gates & Nauticam were just our first two to be finished.
However, when it comes to reviews from myself, Ryan, or Berkely...we are DEALERS of this gear. That being said, take a look at any of the websites from H2o Photo Pros, Reef Photo or Backscatter...we all sell multiple manufacturers of each item. To me, I don't personally care if you buy any of the housings from the 5 slr manufacturers we carry...in fact there are some that are more expensive than the ones that I tend to favor. We are not about selling a customer the most expensive so that we make the most money. We are about selling a product to a customer that fits their needs, budget, and that we can stand behind for quality and service. Ive sold many brands over the years, some good, some not so good. I will not recommend ANY brand that cannot support us with their quality, service and pricing...Ive learned that the hard way as well over the years.
When I review a product, I try to be fair. As you will see in my coming Nauticam 7D report being released tonight (finally finished catching up from my trip), I will praise where deserved, however I will of course post areas that I feel need some work. It is the reviews and comments that allow manufacturers such as Nauticam and Aquatica to LISTEN to all the end users, whether they be Pro or Consumer users on what they want, and more importantly what they feel needs fixing for the next time around.
I subscribe to about 15 magazines monthly, from diving, to photo, video, harleys, boats and planes. That being said, NONE of the info in there is without bias...ask anyone who has worked for or with Rodales Scuba Lab...its up to the readers to be subjective.