Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Which Editing Software ?

Started by GoinDown ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Editing Software ?

4 posts
  1. So first week out with the 5D MkII, for me photography is not a problem as I use Lightroom, but video is a whole new ball game!

     

    I've got a load of video that I need to edit down to around 5-10 mins add a soundtrack, colour correct, maybe correct some camera shake etc, there is a a bewildering choice of software from the top end pro of FC studio or Adobe premiere pro at around £lots to the express versions at £reasonable.

     

    I'm running a Macbook Pro but also run a quad core PC (I prefer the MBP though). Would iMovie suit my needs or do I need to spend a bit more on FCE or will I outgrow FCE and should I go the whole hog and buy FCP or the Adobe equivalents or any other editors that I should also look at?

     

    Cheers for the help.

     

    Tim.

    Edited by GoinDown
  2. So first week out with the 5D MkII, for me photography is not a problem as I use Lightroom, but video is a whole new ball game!

     

    I've got a load of video that I need to edit down to around 5-10 mins add a soundtrack, colour correct, maybe correct some camera shake etc, there is a a bewildering choice of software from the top end pro of FC studio or Adobe premiere pro at around £lots to the express versions at £reasonable.

     

    I'm running a Macbook Pro but also run a quad core PC (I prefer the MBP though). Would iMovie suit my needs or do I need to spend a bit more on FCE or will I outgrow FCE and should I go the whole hog and buy FCP or the Adobe equivalents or any other editors that I should also look at?

     

    Cheers for the help.

     

    Tim.

     

    Some threads discussing the issues, whether MacBooks would work, etc. I think alot of it is covered in these.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30058

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35834

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35715

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35090

  3. Stick to stills ... :B):

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  4. Tim,

    No matter which NLE you use, there is a learning curve. I do believe you would outgrow iMovie and while Final Cut Express is quite good it is a singular editing application. You need an entire suite, an NLE where you are editing, a app for motion graphic and titling effects, an app for sound/music production, an app for compressing your video for on line streaming or for DVD production and an app for the DVD Production. I am a long time Final Cut Studio user and glad I made that decision when version 1 first came out. The Adobe CS5 suite has dramatically improved itself and there are some amazing new features in Photoshop and After Effects, plus the CS 5 suite has its own applications for the various abilities a suite needs.

    My biggest let down for CS 5 is that their new Mercury 64bit engine demands a hi end and very expensive video card which means that many will have computers where these new cards are not compatible which means having to buy a new computer just to be able to buy the latest video card. You can't believe how pissed I am about that. Never the less, the Adobe Suite is a viable choice.

    Me, I'll stick to my Final Cut Pro suite.

    Steve

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.