Hi all,
Just doing a bit of market research and wonder if you could just tell me which regulators you use.
Many thanks
Alex
Read-only discussion
Hi all,
Just doing a bit of market research and wonder if you could just tell me which regulators you use.
Many thanks
Alex
Suunto, Apex and a few coltrisubs.
Karel
Hi all,
Just doing a bit of market research and wonder if you could just tell me which regulators you use.
Many thanks
Alex
Ok, here goes. Bear in mind that I am in Sharm full time so don't have to travel so weight etc is not really an issue for me....
Mares MR22 Ruby (now converted to trilastic) with Ruby Metal 2nd Stage (Like abyss) - Lovely air deliver, bullet proof, easy to adjust. However VERY heavy....use day to day recreational. Easy to service.Balanced Diaphragm
Mares MR22 Abyss - Same as above, use for tec (2 sets of these) Balanced Diaphragm
Scubapro Mk25 / S600 - excellent air delivery, adjustment on 2nd stage. Use for tec and recreational. Both 1st and 2nd stage are very complicated inside. More difficult to service. Much lighter than above. Slight design weakness in LP turrett, usually the first place to get small leaks. It is possible to just buy the turrett oring, but to change it you have to strip the bottom half of the 1st stage. (I have 2 sets of these) ballanced piston
Scubapro MK2 / R190 - Simple is not the word......good breathe so cheap and easy to service (there is nothing in them) Bullet proof.....Use as spare regs on hang tanks or for guest rental. (2 sets) Unbalanced piston
Scubapro mk14 / r290- Very nice 1st stage design, internally nice and compartmentalized so you can problem solve without having to disturb high pressure seat if needed. Easy to service, balanced diaphragm reg (2 sets)
Poseidon Extreme x 3. My 1st choice tec regs. Light, small, awsome air delivery, little bit 'switchy' in shallow water (ie off or on), Side vent. Need lots of love and fine tuning of 2nd stage. Easy to strip and repair. Love them...other hate them...bit like the marmite of regs.....
Damn, better not let the wife see this list...she has no idea......
Duncan
Poseidon Cyklons for the last twenty years: still going strong, from 0.6-60m!
Tim
![]()
Apex (not sure which models without looking). I used to use Poseidon, but Apex are cheaper and easier for me to get serviced. Assuming that you get your regs regularly serviced (surprisingly not eveyone does) then this might be important to you, especially the ease of reliable, local servicing. I get my Apex serviced by a local diveshop who do an excellent job and neither the Apex nor Poseidon have ever let me down since using this shop. The Poseidons did become expensive to service though - after the bill hit £180 for the two regs annual service I shifted to Apex and haven't regretted it - they work fine.
Apeks ATX40 on DS4 first stages. Have used them since I started diving. Have tried loads of others (when working abroad) but none seem to have the same combination of price and performance. Easy to service, plus I have 6 service kits for them.
I only tend to service them if they begin to whisper, which when working abroad was roughly every 500 dives.
Apex (not sure which models without looking). I used to use Poseidon, but Apex are cheaper and easier for me to get serviced. Assuming that you get your regs regularly serviced (surprisingly not eveyone does) then this might be important to you, especially the ease of reliable, local servicing. I get my Apex serviced by a local diveshop who do an excellent job and neither the Apex nor Poseidon have ever let me down since using this shop. The Poseidons did become expensive to service though - after the bill hit £180 for the two regs annual service I shifted to Apex and haven't regretted it - they work fine.
Service for Poseidon are on 24 month basis....After 12 month Level A service, 24 months Level B. Service kit (level B) for extreme 1st stage 16 euro, 2nd stage 8 euro. You can get some bills for servo tips (£25) and balloons (£16.50). Servo tips i remove every month and ultra sonic clean 1 min to remove, no tools reqd. Had 1 balloon go in 5 yrs. Labour, my own time.....
Duncan
Scubapro MK25 S600 for me.
Stew
Julie and I both use MK25/S600
Poseidon Cyklons for me too with some ex-treme deeps for open circuit tri-mix
Having said that I dive the Uk on an Ispiration Vision CCR the cyklons are then used on my bail-out side slungs
I've had the cyclons for 18 years now and never had a promlem and they get horribly abused.
Nige Wade
CJ and I use Scubapros. All Mk17s for back gas (singles and twins). I use Mk2s on my stages. We use X650s, S600s as second stages and 290 / 390 as octopi. There's a bag full of Oceanic Deltas which I havn't used for twenty years...
2 Apex XTX40's (one handed) and a pair of TEC3's Alex, I chose these because they are one of the (if not the) cheapest for parts and to service. I also have a Mares Abss which costs more than double to service
Like several others, Scubapro Mk25 Ti + X650. You're welcome to try next time we dive together. Although I have found they do need regular servicing to keep them performing optimally.
Alex
Scubapro Mk25, S600
Scubapro Mk25, Mk17 - S600 & X650
Mares Proton Metal for the Octo.
Like several others, Scubapro Mk25 Ti + X650. You're welcome to try next time we dive together. Although I have found they do need regular servicing to keep them performing optimally.Alex
Alex, do you find the X650 a bit twitchy?
I service my own and have always found the X650 tricky to setup nicely. Last time around I gave them to an approved Scubapro service centre and they can back worse than before so I sent them to Scubapro. Even now they aren't spot on. We have three which I'm thinking of selling and adding to our collection of S600s...
Service for Poseidon are on 24 month basis....After 12 month Level A service, 24 months Level B. Service kit (level B) for extreme 1st stage 16 euro, 2nd stage 8 euro. You can get some bills for servo tips (£25) and balloons (£16.50). Servo tips i remove every month and ultra sonic clean 1 min to remove, no tools reqd. Had 1 balloon go in 5 yrs. Labour, my own time.....
Duncan
In the UK the HSE require servicing of regs every 6 months!!! I had numerous problems with servo valves going, and failed silicone sleeves as well as corrosion. Don't get me wrong because I liked my Poseidons (my wife still uses some for work) but at least one dive school I know shifted from Poseidon for the same reason.
And yes Poseidons do seem to keep working after heavy abuse, but for life support gear that's not the point is it? At the end of the day, servicing cost and reliability won me over to Apex as well as good after sales service - one has been back to Apex for work on it for shipping cost only.
Alex, do you find the X650 a bit twitchy?
I service my own and have always found the X650 tricky to setup nicely. Last time around I gave them to an approved Scubapro service centre and they can back worse than before so I sent them to Scubapro. Even now they aren't spot on. We have three which I'm thinking of selling and adding to our collection of S600s...
I don't get involved in the setup! I know about cameras, but not dive gear. Scubapro UK service mine.
I don't notice a big difference between the S600 and X650. Scubapro switched me over to the X650 a couple of years back. I actually think their A700 is their best breathing reg, but it is too heavy for (my) travel.
Alex
... Poseidons do seem to keep working after heavy abuse, but for life support gear that's not the point is it...
I thought that was the whole point?
I do understand the problem for a pro. subject to HSE regulation, however: I do spend a fortune on servicing (I have 5 Cyklons somewhere in my garage...)
Tim
![]()
Tim
I watched a Cyclon fizz the other day after being put into vinegar - due to severe limescale build-up. There's abuse in use and then there's ABUSE due to neglect and lack of servicing. The bronze filter was vivid green too. I know of another case where a Cyclon was condemned due to it being uneconomic to repair - to be fair a 13 year servicing interval is a bit long.
I'm glad that you spend on servicing, although sad that its a fortune! 5 Cyclons sounds a lot..... what are you doing?
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.