Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which regs do you use?

Started by Alex_Tattersall ·

  • 92Posts
  • 92Replies

Read-only discussion

Which regs do you use?

92 posts
  1. Tim

     

    I watched a Cyclon fizz the other day after being put into vinegar - due to severe limescale build-up. There's abuse in use and then there's ABUSE due to neglect and lack of servicing. The bronze filter was vivid green too. I know of another case where a Cyclon was condemned due to it being uneconomic to repair - to be fair a 13 year servicing interval is a bit long.

     

    I'm glad that you spend on servicing, although sad that its a fortune! 5 Cyclons sounds a lot..... what are you doing?

    Yes, a bit too long.......

     

    5 cyclons - 2 backgas, 2 stage, 1 recreational maybe?

     

    Servicing isn't just about swapping out parts, whilst this is important, proper cleaning and lubrication prolong the life of the regulator and keep things moving smoothly with out causing damage to the sealing surfaces inside. (in fact you would be suprised at how little is changed at a service with some regs. Somethimes maybe 4 orings and a filter!) I am often amazed at how much grease is sometimes used when regs have been serviced, takes ages to clean out properly so that the dynamic orings can actually move as they are supposed to...

     

    The bronze filters are a pain, especially in the red sea (high salinity) the tips start to discolour within a week.

     

    It is also very easy for water to enter the 1st stage without you realizing (when rinsing etc or when on stage tanks) You only find out when you open the 1st stage and see everything crusted together!!

     

    Yep, I can see how 6 monthly servicing soon adds up....

     

    Cyclones are easy to service apart from the 'puck' which needs a special tool to take it apart and reassemble (sort of like a press)

  2. I use an Atomic T2X. Best reg I've ever owned! :)

  3. Poseidon Jetstream on all my tanks except for my 100% O2 - I use a Dive Rite on that one.

  4. Mares MR22 Abyss and Mares Nikos(?) for pony bottle applications.

     

    First and only regulator I ever bought and after more than 15 years still couldn't be happier with them. They were expensive when I bought them but had decided I would not worry about expense when it came to purchasing what would be my primary source of life support in an otherwise hostile underwater environment.

     

    Love the air deliver system. Breathes the same at 130 feet as it does at 15 feet. No need for a tweaking lever to de-tune the regulator either. One less thing to worry about as far as I'm concerned.

     

    I have the regulators service annually, and therein lies the only thing I don't like about the regulator. Seems the service technicians have a habit of initially setting the cracking pressure too low and allowing them to free flow ever so slightly(just enough to be irritating, but otherwise no big deal). It usually takes a second trip to the dive shop to get them set properly. I have tried several Mares dealers in the area and have experienced the same thing at each. Other than that, I think they are perfect.

     

    Carbon fibre MR42 Regs look interesting and may upgrade to them for lightweight travel but that purchase is still a long way down the road for me yet.

  5. Apeks - bullet proof - service them or not choice is yours.

     

    Posidon tend toward the expensive as they demand that you take a minimum order for servicing parts that make your eyes water.

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  6. Mares MR22 Abyss and Mares Nikos(?) for pony bottle applications.

     

     

     

    I have the regulators service annually, and therein lies the only thing I don't like about the regulator. Seems the service technicians have a habit of initially setting the cracking pressure too low and allowing them to free flow ever so slightly(just enough to be irritating, but otherwise no big deal). It usually takes a second trip to the dive shop to get them set properly. I have tried several Mares dealers in the area and have experienced the same thing at each. Other than that, I think they are perfect.

    The seats have to bed in and everything to settle down...it is normal to re adjust after 6 or so dives on them when the interstage pressure has settled...

  7. Regulators are like cameras. Unless you do a side-by-side comparison, they all seem to work well enough!

  8. ...I watched a Cyclon fizz the other day after being put into vinegar - due to severe limescale build-up. There's abuse in use and then there's ABUSE due to neglect and lack of servicing. The bronze filter was vivid green too. I know of another case where a Cyclon was condemned due to it being uneconomic to repair - to be fair a 13 year servicing interval is a bit long.

    ... 5 Cyclons sounds a lot..... what are you doing?

    You know what, I kept reading Cylons for some reason. Now that would be a cool full face mask reg:

    cylon-out-of-work.jpg

     

    To keep on topic, Atomics T2, B1. ScubaPro Mk25 using Atomic 2nd stage and Apeks ATXxxx, can't remember.

  9. Cheapest Oceanic's I could find for pool training ... Now 12 years old and dived in water temps from 3oc to 33oc, depths from 3M to 70M, travelled worldwide and been battered about ... Never failed never free flowed...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  10. Apeks ATX200's barely ever get washed or serviced.... done a couple of thousand dives and never missed a beat. Used to have Poseidon Cyclones and loved them but they free flowed semi regularly and needed more tlc

  11. US Divers SEA 4..........Still going strong.

  12. Wife & I both have = SCUBA Pro 25/600

  13. Thanks for the info, keep em coming!

  14. I currently have a collection of Zeagle regs which I have been happy with. I have 3 Flatheads and 2 DSV. The first stages are very similar to Apeks (older Zeagle's were actually Apeks). I like my little DSV's (like the Apeks DS4 but with an extra LP port) with miflex hoses as a travel rig as they are lite and compact. The Zeagle Seond stages are easy to work with and can adjust to perfection in little time. The major reason why I went with Zeagle at the time was that they provided same if not better breathing than Apeks but cost alot less (Australian scuba gear local prices are probably the highest in the world). If they were the same price I would going towards Apeks.

     

    I like having a decent second stage as my occy. The Zeagles like Apeks have side adjustment on there higher end second stages which you can screw in for more resistance or screw out for less resistance when you need it. I screw it in when not in use and if I need to use my occy I can screw out the adjustment on the side and have a reg which breaths the same as my fine tuned primary second stage.

     

    I prefer to ultrasonic clean my regs when I service them. I bought a cheap jewellery cleaner online which does the job.

     

    I once owned a Mares Abyss Mr22 and should have never sold it. It was chunky and heavy but it breathed so well. The down side to the Abyss was the primary LP hose is 1/2inch not 3/8thinch which made it hard to find long hoses especially in the braided type like Miflex. But I see now the new Abyss regs come with Miflex braided hoses as standard. I didnt like that the regs have adjustment knob on the side of the second stage also.

     

    Regards Mark

  15. Sucbapro Mk20 1st stage and S600 second stage, just had them serviced after a coupe of years as I was breathing water, good as gold now :drink: you can give them a go next time we dive :)

  16. Thanks for the info, keep em coming!

     

     

    What are you up to here Alex ?

     

    Looks like you are after a Cannon vs Nikon type fight without the usual blood in the water !

     

    Hey maybe Nauticam is going to :-

     

    A: Build a reg directly into the housing.

    B: Give a free reg away with every housing.

    c: Buy themselves a reg manufacturing company

     

     

    Come on Alex you can tell.......... No one is listening........

     

     

     

    Paul C

    Edited by PRC
  17. I use all Atomic M1's. Between the wife's regs, and my single and double rigs, i have 4 first stages and 6 second stages. They work great no matter what - 90' in Antarctica or 160' in Bonaire, breathes great and requires very little service:)

  18. Apeks -DS4 (stage cylinder), ATX 100 (love the hose routing with twins and singles)with ATX200 and 50 second stages, ATX 200 with Tx100 and XTX50. Bullet proof regs had the down to 62m so far.

     

    i used to have a MARES proton ice - i dived once with a friend of mines APEKS and i was converted the MARES proton for whatever reason was very hard work compared to all my APEKS regs that i have owned - and still have compared to the Mares. Saying that my brother dives a Mares Abyss and it breathes like a dream and as far as i am aware he has yet to give it more than a rudimentry service in 6 or 7 years !! :drink:

     

    I service mine annually - my local dive shop (scuba dubai) puts nice reminder tags on them so that i remember for next year!

  19. The best advice you'll get has nothing to do with the regulator itself:

     

    I always encourage a buyer to look first at the dealer and rebuild network where they live and dive. If the only reliable spare parts supply in the region is AquaLung, that makes the decision easy.

     

    The next big hint is to pick a brand and model, and stick with it. When your fleet of regulators grows to 6 or more, they will all use the same parts. Most advanced divers with more than 6 regs attend a rebuild class, and end up doing their own servicing, and have common parts is a huge help.

     

     

     

    Now, on to the "my choice" comments:

     

    Another Atomic user. I have nine.

     

    The choice for Atomic was easy - they breathe superbly, and have a longer service interval than normal. Also, they are warrantied for life, with no silly "gotchas" like the Scubapro or AquaLung regs, like having to be serviced every year at an authorized dealer (miss one service and no more warranty or free parts, sheesh).

     

    ..and I attended the rebuild classes, and carry a spare parts kit, so I could care less if I travel somewhere without repair support!

     

     

    All the best, James

  20. Agree above find a reg and stick to it. My wife and I use Apex TX40 s I service mine with Ultra sonic cleaning every 12-18 months (about 100 dives pa). I carry a minimal tool chest (a few hexs adjustable spanner and half spanners) plus 1st and second stage service kits and a spare diaphram. I have had mine for 15 years and needed one new 1st stage body last time as the valve seat had gone.

    Tim Digger

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.