Hi all,
Just doing a bit of market research and wonder if you could just tell me which regulators you use.
Many thanks
Alex
ScubaPro MK25 S600 when I'm not on the Meg.
Read-only discussion
Hi all,
Just doing a bit of market research and wonder if you could just tell me which regulators you use.
Many thanks
Alex
ScubaPro MK25 S600 when I'm not on the Meg.
Mares V22/Proton Ice and octo
Apex DS4/TX50
Apex DS4/TX40
Apex ATX100
Scubapro MK25/G600
Scubapro Mk25/R190
Apeks XTX100 1st and 2nd stage with XTX40 octo, very reliable and hardly any breathing effort. Love them
I think that i am a Scubapro-Guy:
(Sardinia (Italy) 1 2006 Mk25/S600/R395 + 10 2010 MK11/R395/R295
Costa Rica: 1 2008 MK25/S600/R395 + 10 2009 MK11/R395/R295
Both MK25/S600/R395 regulators where never opened/seviced and are still going strong!
Maybe it's time to give them a nice servicing but as i experienced that "Service Technicians" often deliver a bad work
i am waiting to do the Scubapro Service Technician course so that i can service them by my self.
I rather mess up my own regulator than pay somebody to mess it up and i prefer to know what I did servicing the
regulators for the clients than trust somebody i don't know what HE did.
Chris
Hi all,
Over the years I've used pretty much all of them!
I now use Apeks TX somethings in the UK, but have just started using an Apeks Flight on trips abroad and really like it!
Adam
The seats have to bed in and everything to settle down...it is normal to re adjust after 6 or so dives on them when the interstage pressure has settled...
Thanks for the information, as I didn't know that.
It's nice to to know that they are still performing well after all these years.
Hi all,
I now use Apeks TX somethings in the UK, but have just started using an Apeks Flight on trips abroad and really like it!
Adam
Adam,
Was considering the Apeks flights for warm water trip. How much lighter are they compared to say an Apeks DS4 first stage and 2 x atx 40 seconds?
From what I can figure out the weight saving is under a 1kg which makes it quiet an expensive exercise, particularly when the Apeks flight aren t recommended for under 10 degree water.
Thanks Erol
Erol
I weighed the Flight and it came in at 595g, 1st & 2nd with braided hose. My Atomic T2 comes in at 670g (with MiFlex hoses @ 30" instead of the standard rubber 36") and the Apeks XTX200 came in at 1160g.
Basically the weight savings is less than 500g, especially if you change the hoses to braided ones and shorten them. It breathes pretty well but not like my Atomic or the XTX200. For some weight savings, I'd switch to shorter hoses with MiFlex or braided style hoses. With braided, they are light and more flexible so you can cut up to 30% off the length of the rubber hoses. I use a 26" and 30" hose on my rigs now and they cut off about 200+g with BC, HP and LP hoses all changed and shortened.
If you look at the review of lightweight regulators in Diver Magazine (UK) for November (out today) you'll notice the greatest weight-saving is achieved by swapping from A-clamp to DIN.
I've just packed the kit for my wife to take with her on a scuba-diving holiday and I admit to putting an Atomic T2X in there for her to use.
John,
it also depends on where you dive, not all operations in the Caribbean are equipped with Din Adapters. Similarly dive briefings have to be given in both normal and imperial.
I use DIN Regulators here and in Costa Rica,but i always carry a DIN->INT adapter when i go diving elsewhere.I guess that DIN Reguator & DIN-INT Adapter weights more than an INT Regulator.But, HEY! We are talking in GRAMS while our Gear weights KILOS!Switching from a "normal" BCD to a Travel Wing will gain about 4 pounds/2kilos and that makes more sense to methan buying titanium regulators and using mylex hoses to gain 200 grams.
But somebody have still all that lightweigt gear and is still too heavy, well, then ...
Chris
I worked as a dive master about 12 years ago and had the chance to try many different brands. I settled with Scubapro. Back then, because of my traveling, I bought a scubapro Mk25UL (unltralight aluminum one)/S600. They performed beautifully for about two years when my Mk25UL started to corrode!
. Scubapro switched it with a Mk25Ti for no charge and that's what I use to this date. Never used anything better.
Basically the weight savings is less than 500g, especially if you change the hoses to braided ones and shorten them. It breathes pretty well but not like my Atomic or the XTX200. For some weight savings, I'd switch to shorter hoses with MiFlex or braided style hoses. With braided, they are light and more flexible so you can cut up to 30% off the length of the rubber hoses. I use a 26" and 30" hose on my rigs now and they cut off about 200+g with BC, HP and LP hoses all changed and shortened.
Drew,
Thanks for that. What I expected. Not a great saving considering the price and the fact that you have a regulator that will only cope with warm water shallow stuff.
I dive a DIR set up so the hoses are the exact length that I want them to be (5ft, 22'' and 24'' SPG) , so I can t really save there. I might try the miflex or braided hoses though...
Got to be able to save weight somewhere ![]()
Thanks again,
Erol
Hey Erol,
Sorry I'll weigh them all to compare when I get chance.
Be careful of braided 2m hoses-they float and are a real pain!
The Flight uses some special hose fittings-which means it can't really be DIR.
Adam
Drew,
Thanks for that. What I expected. Not a great saving considering the price and the fact that you have a regulator that will only cope with warm water shallow stuff.
I dive a DIR set up so the hoses are the exact length that I want them to be (5ft, 22'' and 24'' SPG) , so I can t really save there. I might try the miflex or braided hoses though...
Erol, the Flight breathes well for the size and price. It's just not like the best of the best, but sorta like in mix for the best of the rest. I can't quantify it because I just dived with twin tanks, one with Flight and other with the Atomic.
As for DIR, I have a similar length for 2nd stage at 26-30" and 24" spg/computer. I use a inflater/octopus for all setups except going into wrecks, which I'll run back to GUE training. For GUE/DIR types, the best weight saving is to get out of DIR ![]()
LOLFor GUE/DIR types, the best weight saving is to get out of DIR.
I think the other comment about the Flight is that it is not a deep, dark and dangerous regulator. Doesn't pretend to be! If you want something to plumb the deep abyss this is not the tool for the job. Most of us photographers spend a lot of time shallow, and for this is is good as anything else. It is very light though!
Adam
For GUE/DIR types, the best weight saving is to get out of DIR
Yeah I am considering it, though will probably give up scuba and take up technical snorkeling as a weight saving move...: )
Seriously though and getting very off topic here not sure how much a true hogatharian set up weighs as compared to a normal bc and regs. Will have to do a comparison someday.
Adam,
As for the milex and braided hoses..I have been a little sceptical about these. I do a far amount of work with subsea hydraulics, where braided hoses are used. These are the guys that always blow, as they make maintenance work harder, simply cause you can t see what is going on underneath the hose.
Not sure if the same applies to braided hose, but would like to see them on the market for a bit longer before I jump...
Apologies off topic...AGAIN.
e
My reg is a Poseidon Odin (Jetstream). I also have the Cyclon second stage, which I generally prefer. When I started diving in the early 90's, Poseidon was very big. I really liked the ability to switch between DIN and yoke with no hassle. Unfortunately I let the warranty lapse. On my last trip I rented a regulator.
Apex DS4/TX50
The hassle is, every time I take a few months off, it free flows, and I have to take it in to my great shop for a tweak. I know I should take the equipment course, but hey, I'm just girl. ![]()
Cheers,
Marli
Apex DS4/TX50
The hassle is, every time I take a few months off, it free flows, and I have to take it in to my great shop for a tweak. I know I should take the equipment course, but hey, I'm just girl.
Cheers,
Marli
What's happening is that engraving is occurring between the valve seat and the poppet during storage. Get an Atomic. When it's not under pressure these two parts sit apart and engraving doesn't happen.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.