Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica 45° Viewfinder??

Started by acuevas ·

  • 57Posts
  • 57Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica 45° Viewfinder??

57 posts
  1. has the 45degree Nauticam kicked you guys into action?

  2. has... Nauticam kicked you guys into action?

     

    A point I made in my first Nauticam review for Wetpixel.

     

    Whether you are a Nauticam customer or not, all underwater photographers stand to benefit from the increased quality and value for money products - as competition is fiercer these days. The last 18 months have seem some fantastic innovations and improvements from many brands of UW photo gear.

     

    Alex

  3. has the 45degree Nauticam kicked you guys into action?

     

    Darren, we are going at our own pace and will have it in due time. As it is we can hardly keep up with production of our normal products line due to the increased demand for them in the last two to three years. The last Digital shootout was the proof in the pudding that we are doing a good job. Without being smug about it, I would say if Nauticam comes out with their 45 degree finder first, then good for them.

     

    We improve constantly on every generation of housing, whether we have competition in this specific area or not, we always did, will always do, before Nauticam, there was Subal, Sea & Sea, Seacam, Nexus and a score of others going all the way back to Tussey and Ocean Eye, we have been around since about 30 years, so you could safely say that competition as been around for a while in our case. I would say, one of our biggest incentive for us (apart from input of our users) is the advent of better and more flexible CNC machinery, it has allowed us to move away, first from the casting process, and then from the boxy looking housing of the 3 axis machinery, our latest crop of housing benefit from our will to embrace the new technology, to the dedication of our engineers to use this technology and from trying to be upfront and honest with the users (and you might add, our unwillingness to under size or trash our competitors products).

     

     

    As Alex rightly say, underwater photographer do benefit from competition between manufacturers and rightly so, but one must be careful in the distribution of credits, Yes Nauticam has a fine innovative line of products, but the whole of the industry was evolving before their arrival and will continue to do so with them around or not, its the nature of the beast, you evolve, our your users will drop you and go somewhere else. Anyone who as been making housings long enough will (should) realize that the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's.

     

    Cheers

    Edited by Viz'art
  4. Anyone who as been making housings long enough will (should) realize that the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's.

     

    ;):D:);)

  5. Darren, we are going at our own pace and will have it in due time. As it is we can hardly keep up with production of our normal products line due to the increased demand for them in the last two to three years. The last Digital shootout was the proof in the pudding that we are doing a good job. Without being smug about it, I would say if Nauticam comes out with their 45 degree finder first, then good for them.

     

    We improve constantly on every generation of housing, whether we have competition in this specific area or not, we always did, will always do, before Nauticam, there was Subal, Sea & Sea, Seacam, Nexus and a score of others going all the way back to Tussey and Ocean Eye, we have been around since about 30 years, so you could safely say that competition as been around for a while in our case. I would say, one of our biggest incentive for us (apart from input of our users) is the advent of better and more flexible CNC machinery, it has allowed us to move away, first from the casting process, and then from the boxy looking housing of the 3 axis machinery, our latest crop of housing benefit from our will to embrace the new technology, to the dedication of our engineers to use this technology and from trying to be upfront and honest with the users (and you might add, our unwillingness to under size or trash our competitors products).

     

     

    As Alex rightly say, underwater photographer do benefit from competition between manufacturers and rightly so, but one must be careful in the distribution of credits, Yes Nauticam has a fine innovative line of products, but the whole of the industry was evolving before their arrival and will continue to do so with them around or not, its the nature of the beast, you evolve, our your users will drop you and go somewhere else. Anyone who as been making housings long enough will (should) realize that the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's.

     

    Cheers

     

    Hey Jean,

     

    I guess if you are going to continue suggesting that an Aquatica 45 is a probability, you need to back it up with something concrete, not just lead us on with "we're working on it".

     

    In 2006 I remember speaking to you on the telephone and was assured a 45 was imminent. As it wasn't a reality I decided to go Seacam as they had one.

    In 2009 time came to house my 5DmkII and I jumped ship from Seacam to Aquatica, partly swayed by the "soon to be released" 45.

    Mid-2011 and I am still hearing there are parts on the factory floor... it's on its way... in due course... at your own pace.... sometime.

     

    I know there are many drivers to competition. And we all really appreciate the amazing kit we now have thanks to changes in manufacturing processes... and demand.

     

    While yes, you've always had competition in many forms, previously that was competition between systems. Now with manufacturers making accessories compatible across various systems, as housing owners we aren't locked in to buying one brand for all our needs.... even if we want to.

     

    cheers

    darren

  6. Si aye, we are working on it still, progress is definitely made and it looks good, it shouldn't be long before I have something to show you guy's. I, for one, am looking forward to add one to my macro setup ;) .

     

    Good to know, I'm going to execute the purchase of the AD7000 by the end of September.

    If the view finder is not available by that time but I can see some specs of it, I can wait for the viewfinder and only buy the housing.

  7. "the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's"

     

    How many times has companies failed to survive due to competing against "one self" and not realised it been lapped by competitor not only once but twice. For ex. IMB vs. DELL.

     

    Competition is good, with production equipment widely available and cheaper, new aggressive competitors will arrive at the market and set new standards.

     

    I love my Aquatica housing. But hearing Jean saying they will do things in there own time tells me I’m not getting the most for my $$.

     

    //Mats

    www.blickstrom.com

    Edited by Eyeflow
  8. "the best competition is oneself and not the other guy's"

     

    How many times has companies failed to survive due to competing against "one self" and not realised it been lapped by competitor not only once but twice. For ex. IMB vs. DELL.

     

    Competition is good, with production equipment widely available and cheaper, new aggressive competitors will arrive at the market and set new standards.

     

    I love my Aquatica housing. But hearing Jean saying they will do things in there own time tells me I’m not getting the most for my $$.

     

    //Mats

     

    Mats, there is quite a line up of project we are pursuing and working on, my point is; Just because one of my competitor announces an upcoming product doesn't mean we have to stop production, go in panic mode and frantically try and beat them to the punch. That would be plain silly.

     

    About being oneself, I think it’s more interesting for you guys that we concentrate on innovating on our products rather than just trying to knock off copies of what is out there already. We are well aware of what is on the market, of what is pertinent, and not. I think our current housings line up reflects that philosophy, we, as a company, have adapted our system to the need of the underwater photographer by giving better access to controls, improved ergonomics and more streamlined housings and accessories, while keeping prices as low as could be maintained. Not because a competitor comes up with a novel way to access the camera buttons, but because that is what is common sense evolution for us as a company and for you as consumers.

     

    IBM thought it had a monopoly on the industry, while Aquatica has learned a long time ago to share the market with other manufacturers, (most of them established for quite a long time). I think it would be naïve of us to think we can please everyone, nobody can, that is why having competition is healthy, so that different concept can be explored and proposed to the users, then you can make your own choice.

  9. Hi, after reading the review of the Nauticam 45 degree by Alex Mustard I'm in the necessity of resurrecting this discussion.

     

    Jean, any news about the Aquatica 45 degree viewfinder.

    You will start to hate me but I will continue asking. :B):

  10. quote name='acuevas' date='Aug 31 2011, 05:30 AM' post='290464']

    Hi, after reading the review of the Nauticam 45 degree by Alex Mustard I'm in the necessity of resurrecting this discussion.

     

    Jean, any news about the Aquatica 45 degree viewfinder.

    You will start to hate me but I will continue asking. :)

     

    Andres, my man, how can I hate you, I love ya babe! :D good timing on your question, just got the first units in and assembled, here are a fews shots.

     

    post-1676-1314908725.jpg

     

    post-1676-1314908743.jpg

     

    post-1676-1314908757.jpg

     

    post-1676-1314908815.jpg

     

    I am off for the afternoon and will be back tomorrow at the office if you have any questions.

    Edited by Viz'art
  11. It looks awesome!!!

     

    Now I know what I want for my birthday. :)

     

    But now to the ugly part, what will be the retail price?

    It rotates 360°?

  12. Yes I would also like to know the ugly part too

     

    Regards Mark

  13. Wow that is really sexy! Looks beutifully designed with the rounded edges and matching coating. Looking really good Aquatica! Lets hope for a good price :)

     

    Mark Fulller

  14. After reading the short review on the three different 45's available, I am "concerned" about whether I should buy a 45 or the straight viewfinder. Many times after a 60 minute dive of doing super macro I come up with some incredible neck pain from continually bending my neck back to see through the standard viewfinder. I have always thought a 45 would be the answer to this problem.

     

    But the reviewer said several times it was difficult to get used to using a 45 for the "casual" diver. I live in land-locked Denver and fall in that category. One thing is for sure, there will be no way for me to "try out" a 45. Although Denver has 4 or 5 good sized dive shops, none of them carry U/W photography equipment for DSLRs.

  15. It looks awesome!!!

     

    Now I know what I want for my birthday. :)

     

    But now to the ugly part, what will be the retail price?

    It rotates 360°?

     

    Yes Andres, it rotates 360 with 90 degrees click stops, it is extremely compact and will fit in a gift box nicely.

     

    The ugly part (Mark I hope you are not referring to me?! :D ) I will have later next week.

     

    John, you put your finger on it, macro photographers are the target audience for these finders and yes Alex was right in stating that they do take some aquainting time, one thing for sure angled or straight, a viewfinder does make a heck of a difference in your abillity to compose the image. Come to think of it, don't you have an upcoming dive show in the fall? if so Backscatter, I believe, will be attending and should have both the straight and angled finder on display, i am bringing a couple to the Monterey shootout next weekend and technically should leave at least one behind.

     

    Motex, yes I like the look a lot myself, as for the price, well we have a long tradition of fairplay in this area, so it should be the same :)

    Edited by Viz'art
  16. John, you put your finger on it, macro photographers are the target audience for these finders and yes Alex was right in stating that they do take some aquainting time, one thing for sure angled or straight, a viewfinder does make a heck of a difference in your abillity to compose the image. Come to think of it, don't you have an upcoming dive show in the fall? if so Backscatter, I believe, will be attending and should have both the straight and angled finder on display, i am bringing a couple to the Monterey shootout next weekend and technically should leave at least one behind.

     

    Jean,

     

    Thanks for the information, the Denver dive show is September 23/24, so I will check out Backscatter's booth. This will give me time to make a decision before our late October liveaboard.

     

    thanks, John

  17. Jean,

     

    Thanks for the information, the Denver dive show is September 23/24, so I will check out Backscatter's booth. This will give me time to make a decision before our late October liveaboard.

     

    thanks, John

    I don't see Backscatter in the list of exhibitors.

    Bob

    Denver SCUBA Show 2011

  18. My Bad, I know they did the show previously, I should have checked with them first to see if they where doing it this year.

  19. :)
  20. any chance of a part exchange?

     

    why do us folk who trust in companies at such an earlier stage, making them money, lose out for the fact that they get the worst bits and cant sell them on coz the newer ones are so much more attractive to the later potential buyers :)

     

    yer think spending 10 grand on a camera to go underwater would give you some advantages in life.....

     

    c'est la vie :'(

    Edited by Scubysnaps
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.