So, rumors of a possible D800 are now circulating again. A lot of people are saying it will be a D700-sized full frame camera with a 36 (yes, 36!) megapixel sensor. Particularly I don't need that much resolution, and I think it will even bring some storage problems, but if Nikon does come up with a F100 sized camera and AF comparable to the D2x I will probably buy it. Estimated price is not cheap though, $4000! Here are links for the latest rumor pages with more spec details:
Anybody with some inside info willing to share? Announcement is rumored to be in about 1 or 2 months.
Seems like a pretty strange upgrade of the D700; despite the 99% certainty Nikon Rumors claims. Sure it's a big MP upgrade, but for most shooters a downgrade in frame rate, high ISO performance etc. Not the type of camera most people want or need. It's more like a D3x upgrade in a D700 body; I'm not buying it.
Seems like a pretty strange upgrade of the D700; despite the 99% certainty Nikon Rumors claims. Sure it's a big MP upgrade, but for most shooters a downgrade in frame rate, high ISO performance etc. Not the type of camera most people want or need. It's more like a D3x upgrade in a D700 body; I'm not buying it.
I agree with Loftus 100%
Looks like D700's are going to hold their value pretty well, if these rumored specs are accurate.
And supposedly going to be pretty expensive.
It would be good for Nikon to move from Sony. Or maybe Sony is also coming out with a 36mp A900 replacement... with 8fps!
More rumors below, seems like the autofocus will be improved too. These guys are so confident in their sources...
One thing about 36MP, is that now switching to DX and using DX lenses like the 10-17 still makes a pretty high res DX image. Am I just talking myself into upgrading?
One thing about 36MP, is that now switching to DX and using DX lenses like the 10-17 still makes a pretty high res DX image. Am I just talking myself into upgrading?
Sure, go for it. I've been thinking along the same lines with the flexibility of shooting either DX or FX with the D800.
Congrats on your pics in UWJ
In the past 4 years, every prosumer and pro DSLR Nikon has released is better at high ISO noise than the previous generation. I don't really see them sacrificing low noise ability merely to say they have more megapixels. Four years ago I was telling a colleague DX still had life left in it and I could easily see 17-20 mp with lower noise than the just-released D300. She told me I was totally wrong, there is no way Nikon could accomplish that, the 12mp D300 was end of the line. Well. Here we are with a D7000 sensor which is vastly better at high ISO and is almost 50% more megapixels to boot.
So, if this D800 is really 36mp, then either Nikon has figured out a way to keep the high ISO capability of the D700 while tripling megapixels -or- something else is going on. Like maybe Nikon has figured out a way to bin the sensor so we have an 18mp high ISO mode and a 36mp low ISO mode.
Can't wait to see it in any case
JP
Nikon engineers did say about 18 months ago (at the launch of D3s) that they were going to prioritise resolution over noise in future generations because they felt noise levels were already very good.
Alex
Nikon engineers did say about 18 months ago (at the launch of D3s) that they were going to prioritise resolution over noise in future generations because they felt noise levels were already very good.
Alex
Gee, I thought pixel resolution was already very good. Apparently their market research indicated that 24mp was unsatisfactory to today's users. Oh wait, that's not the point. Nevermind.
Somehow, I think we could have had a 24mp D700 camera with D3s noise performance for $1500-$2000, but that would destroy the whole product line.
Gee, I thought pixel resolution was already very good. Apparently their market research indicated that 24mp was unsatisfactory to today's users. Oh wait, that's not the point. Nevermind.
Somehow, I think we could have had a 24mp D700 camera with D3s noise performance for $1500-$2000, but that would destroy the whole product line.
I don't think a 24mp D700 replacement is possible in that price range. Heck, you can't even get the current D700 for less than $2700 at 12mp. Nikon has been the best at ISO for several years now, if they can bump MP and keep ISO the same or better they will have a winner. But I'm thinking $3k or more at minimum.
take care,
JP
Nikon rumors now says there is a date for a launch of the rumored D800, Oct 26 in a media event that Nikon is planning...
Hmm Canon's CPS event is Oct 18th.
Hey Drew, are the Canon rumors of a new 1D or 5D series camera? Both seem to be in need of an upgrade...
I don't really care. I'm camera-ed out until 2013 for "rouge!"
With 36 MP we will all need new glass to take advantage of that resolution. Ahhh well first the earthquake and Tsuami in Japan, now this http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-...-closed-1035636 It looks like god does not want us to shoot D800's.
Today Nikon Rumors published an update with pictures of the new D800; specs essentially as before and claimed to be smaller and lighter than the D700 and possibly a bigger LCD.
Finally I think we will be able to really take advantage of one of the unsung benefits of Nikon - switching from FX to DX on the fly, really expands lens possibilities.
Using both formats with high res for both will be excellent. Looking forward to having the 10-17 back in my kit, and being able to extend the reach of my 70-200 when needed. One camera for pool, studio, diving, wildlife. All that remains to be seen is low light performance.
Today Nikon Rumors published an update with pictures of the new D800; specs essentially as before and claimed to be smaller and lighter than the D700 and possibly a bigger LCD.
Finally I think we will be able to really take advantage of one of the unsung benefits of Nikon - switching from FX to DX on the fly, really expands lens possibilities.
Using both formats with high res for both will be excellent. Looking forward to having the 10-17 back in my kit, and being able to extend the reach of my 70-200 when needed. One camera for pool, studio, diving, wildlife. All that remains to be seen is low light performance.
totally agree with you!
Hmm if Nikon gets the sensors from Sony, I don't see why Sony would let them have the scoop on a new chip. Aptina's chip is "only" 16mp. Wonder who they are getting the sensor from? Regardless I can't imagine the yields on such a sensor will be high enough where it'll be cheaper than the 12mp FF. Will be interesting to see.
Canon also had a 30+mp sensor in "development" but decided on 18mp instead.