Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D800 rumors

Started by Rocha ·

  • 68Posts
  • 68Replies

Read-only discussion

D800 rumors

68 posts
  1. The buffer speed is what keeps me from buying the D7000. I have bumped up against the buffer in my D300 quite a few times even underwater (esp. when trying to shoot Whale Sharks at the surface) and it has a larger buffer than the D7000. I briefly owned a D90 but the buffer limitation made me return it immediately.

     

    The D800 might be a wonderful do-all camera, but I'm still pretty interested (at least for underwater use) in the upcoming D400 since it should be like a super-D7000 :)

     

    I'm also gonna be more interested in a D700 after the D800 comes out. It will be a monster bang for the buck if they have some leftover inventory.

    Edited by johnspierce
  2. I'm also gonna be more interested in a D700 after the D800 comes out. It will be a monster bang for the buck if they have some leftover inventory.

     

    Not to mention you will find very, very cheap used ones...

  3. I'm also gonna be more interested in a D700 after the D800 comes out. It will be a monster bang for the buck if they have some leftover inventory.

     

    Sell you mine. :)

  4. Sell you mine. :)

     

    When the D800 is real, we'll have to "talk" :)

     

    JP

  5. The latest specs on DigitalRev http://www.digitalrev.com/...he-best-goes-...74-article.html are certainly more beleiveable and realistic than those currently on Nikon Rumors.

     

    Nikon D800 Specs:

    Sensor size: 36.0 x 23.9mm Full Frame FX format

    Sensor type: CMOS sensor

    Sensor resolution: 18 megapixels

    ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 to ISO 12800 (Extendable to 102400)

    Continuous Burst Speed: 6fps (8fps in DX mode)

    Focus System: Multi-CAM 3500FX 51-point AF

    Video Mode: Full HD 1920x1080p (24, 25, 30fps) and 720p (up to 60fps) with Stereo sound & AF

  6. The latest specs on DigitalRev http://www.digitalrev.com/...he-best-goes-...74-article.html are certainly more beleiveable and realistic than those currently on Nikon Rumors.

     

    Nikon D800 Specs:

    Sensor size: 36.0 x 23.9mm Full Frame FX format

    Sensor type: CMOS sensor

    Sensor resolution: 18 megapixels

    ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 to ISO 12800 (Extendable to 102400)

    Continuous Burst Speed: 6fps (8fps in DX mode)

    Focus System: Multi-CAM 3500FX 51-point AF

    Video Mode: Full HD 1920x1080p (24, 25, 30fps) and 720p (up to 60fps) with Stereo sound & AF

     

    Agreed; something like 36MP would make more sense in a 'studio' camera like the D4x. Also makes me more hopeful that low light performance will be top notch, and still decent res cropped with 10-17

    Edited by loftus
  7. Agreed; something like 36MP would make more sense in a 'studio' camera like the D4x. Also makes me more hopeful that low light performance will be top notch, and still decent res cropped with 10-17

     

    I fully agree. the specs are much more appearing to me, plus I would love to know if they have done anything regarding video enhancement. Just have to wait till the "official" Nikon announcement on the D800 comes out.

  8. I fully agree. the specs are much more appearing to me, plus I would love to know if they have done anything regarding video enhancement. Just have to wait till the "official" Nikon announcement on the D800 comes out.

     

    18mp sounds *much* more realistic, along with improvements in video and keeping the ISO noise levels down. I would however say $4000 would be a bit high for that camera. Looking at Nikon's model line, around $3k to $3.5k would keep it in a nice spot between D300s(or D400) and D3. I still have a hard time believing Nikon will release the D800 first before the D4, but there are no rumors for that camera, so I guess the D800 will indeed be next.

    Edited by johnspierce
  9. Hmmm... Rumors seem to be picking up steam, the guys at NikonRumors swear they have the inside scoop. But I too wished it was 18mp instead of 36 (which I think it's a bit overkill). I also hope it comes out cheaper than $3k, but that's wishful thinking I guess.

  10. Did you guys see the latest from Nikon Rumors? Now they are certain there will be a D4 as well, likely to be introduced together with the D800. Possible (interesting) specs:

     

    - 16.2 MP

    - 11 fps

    - 100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800

    - Face detection/recognition

    - Improved video

    - Improved 51 AF points

    - AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)

    - Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8

  11. Next year could be an expensive upgrade year for me...... :)

  12. I just want the D400 while I am still somewhat gainfully employed....oh, wait, I am a teacher...and before my D200 becomes an entirely worthless paperweight...oh wait..it already is......if it wasn't for all of the lenses, I might consider the dark side...oh my.

     

    I am beginning to think that Adobe and Nikon represent the forces of pure evil. Or not.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  13. I just want the D400 while I am still somewhat gainfully employed....oh, wait, I am a teacher...and before my D200 becomes an entirely worthless paperweight...oh wait..it already is......if it wasn't for all of the lenses, I might consider the dark side...oh my.

     

    I am beginning to think that Adobe and Nikon represent the forces of pure evil. Or not.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

    The D7000 is a great less expensive upgrade of the D200.

    Edited by loftus
  14. I just want the D400 while I am still somewhat gainfully employed....oh, wait, I am a teacher...and before my D200 becomes an entirely worthless paperweight...oh wait..it already is......if it wasn't for all of the lenses, I might consider the dark side...oh my.

     

    I am beginning to think that Adobe and Nikon represent the forces of pure evil. Or not.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

    Your D200 still can create great images, yes? Lens are a good investment for photography, digital bodies are expendable; we shouldn't get too attached to them, there's always something new and cool to empty our wallet :)

  15. Of course I can get great images, but the noise factor and lack of video make me want to upgrade. The buffer factor and upper lcd window are also features I like on the higher end models. It just seems to be a long overdue release from Nikon.

     

    Cheers,

    Marli

  16. D7000 has a top LCD, just saying :) No buffer worth mentioning though.

  17. How long before pixel peeping magazine editors demand 30+ mp images :) Getting a D4 might not be such a good idea :lol:

  18. Today Nikon Rumors says Feb 7th for the D800, maybe....

    My deposit is down. I wish I could justify a D4 and a D800, at the moment I am going to have to choose.

    Edited by loftus
  19. How long before pixel peeping magazine editors demand 30+ mp images :) Getting a D4 might not be such a good idea :)

     

    I am sure that the D4 will be out pixel led by compacts during its lifetime. I know you are not making a serious point, Cor, but just for those who don't, I have never had a magazine editor ask me what camera I used or turn down a well-shot image for pixel reasons. And 6MP plus SLR - correctly shot is still perfectly acceptable for publication.

     

    Today Nikon Rumors says Feb 7th for the D800, maybe....

    My deposit is down. I wish I could justify a D4 and a D800, at the moment I am going to have to choose.

     

    Or wait for the D500! I think that the D800 is going to be competitively priced.

     

    Looking at the leaked pictures of the D800, I suspect it will physical fit in a D700 housing, but the controls have moved significantly (and those on the top-plate changed angle, plus there are new video buttons etc), which will make housing it troublesome in an existing housing. That said - the pix on Nikon RUmours make it look like it will be easy to design a housing for - with large and easy to engineer controls.

     

    Alex

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.