Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon leak or rumor - 1D Mk II

Started by tshepherd ·

  • 50Posts
  • 50Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon leak or rumor - 1D Mk II

50 posts
  1. Canon leak or rumor - 1D Mk II

    According to a couple threads at DP Review, Canon France has leaked the specs for the 1D replacement, named the 1D Mk II. Here's the specs according to a couple PDFs that were listed briefly:

     

    8.2 MPixel CMOS sensor with either 3 or 8.5 fps

    40 frame buffer for JPG and 20 for RAW

    same AF and metering

    ISO 100-1600 with 50 and 3200 option

    NP-E3 battery

    1/250 sync

    1/8000 max shutter speed

    CF and SD card slot

    Firewire and USB 1.1

     

    Find one of the full threads here.

     

    Also of note, 2 new lenses, a 70-300 IS DO and a 28-300 IS L.

     

    Take it all with a grain of salt I suppose.

  2. I saw that too Tom.

     

    Also: 1.3x cropped sensor.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Yeah, forgot to mention that part (1.3x). If it maintains the exact same body as the 1D/s, it might be a nice option instead of the $7k for the 1Ds.

  4. Same body as 1Ds? Does that mean Seacam could do a housing? Sounds like a D2H killer.

     

    While I couldn't imagine myself getting a D2H, I can see lots of non-action/photojournalist opting for this camera if these specs are indeed correct.

  5. Yup, looks like the body is exactly the same from the very limited pics I've seen. There's some speculation that this is a stop-gap to counter the D2H, or that there's another version also coming out that hasn't been leaked with even better specs. So yes, that would mean that Seacam would probably already have a housing. I also noticed on the Subal site that they are making a 1Ds housing, which would be awesome.

     

    I wouldn't buy a D2H or a 1D, but with 8Mp, 1.3x crop, and a significantly better AF than the D60 / 10D, I could certainly see me buying this. Ok, so me buying this is probably already a given. It's more like "if I house this within the next year". :)

  6. This is exciting, if the price is reasonable. The 1Ds is superb, but there's a big, big gap between this and the 10D in terms of price.

    A camera like this with good AF and smaller FOV crop would be great for underwater.

     

    My main concern is that 1Ds housings are not exactly cheap. It will be interesting to see if IKE/Aquatica et al decide to support it.

     

    I also wouldn't be rushing to buy a D2H (Nikon/Canon rivalry aside). But even as a non-photojournalist, the 1D Mk 2 specs as above would be very tempting.

  7. This news is what I have been waiting for. Can't wait to see the reviews and the street price. For me if it is under $3500 and it performs well with no problems, I will go for it. I am disapointed though about it not having the Lithium Ion battery. Though with the CMOS sensor I guess it will use less power, but that might be eaten up by the 2" LCD. I am not really wild about the 1.6 crop on the 10D but could live with the 1.3 crop of the 1D.

     

    Keith

  8. My view on the 1.3 crop is that it gets wider than the 1.6 by a decent amount, but still avoids the worst areas of most lenses by not getting to the outside edges. Yes, LiIon would be nice, but with the CMOS imager, the old MiMH is rated to last 1200 images.

     

    Aquatica may or may not support, but I'd bet that you could get an Ikelite housing made. The 1D body would probably fit in the MD series housing, which is big, but so's the 1D, right?

     

    Of course, we're still assuming that these are real specs. :)

  9. 1Ds vs 1D Mk II

    I put two pictures together -- one of the back of the 1D/1Ds, and one of the back of the 1D Mk II. From photos of the cameras from all angles, it looks like there is one change that will affect those of us (all 20 or whatever) who have 1Ds housings. There is an extra button between the Quality and White Balance button. Not such a big deal. If I flood my 1Ds, I'll just make sure I'm in RAW mode before I jump in. :)

     

    Note that the photos of the 1DMkII vs 1Ds are taken from different heights, so the elements on the back don't line up properly. At first, I thought it was slightly different, but now it looks the same. :)

  10. Man, you and Adam didn't waste any time w/ this one Eric...:-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  11. What a bunch of Canon Whiners!

    First, I agree with what Tom said about the crop and all.

     

    I wouldn't expect Aquatica to build a housing for it. They just finished the housing for the hot selling 300D. I think the D70 would be next.

     

    The higher priced cameras have smaller market share. I don't think it makes sense right now. If someone has the resources to buy a 1Ds or 1D, I don't think saving a couple of grand on a housing is their highest priority. Heck, they spend almost as much as an Aquatica for the viewfinder.

     

    About the whining. Man, I peeked at some threads on DPReview. Complaints, complaints. People are looney. They wanted a full frame 8-11 megapixel, 1/500 synch, ISO6400, etc., etc. AND a price of $3500. Maybe they should go back to film. This is definitely far better than the D2H. I think this camera will get some strong cross-over from non PJs and Sports photogs.

  12. Aquatica are anticipating the arrival of the F6 as a +possibilty for their next big project, but i'm sure the 70 will be a goer too.

     

    Bummer they decided not to house the 14n, but UK G are doing that!

  13. Speaking from my point of view, saving a couple grand on a housing for the new 1D would definitely be a priority for me. Assuming I get one, I doubt that I'll be able to get it housed any time soon because of the high cost of the available housings. Just to get into the Seacam it looks like about $6500 between housing and ports, which is a bit above my reach. Even owning S&S ports, the S&S housing is somewhere around $6000 custom made, if it's even available. If Aquatica were to bring something to the table for less, I'd be more likely to house it. We'll see though.

     

    The whining is funny to me. For each 1D owner who's complaining about the new version, it's one less person in front of me on the waiting list... :)

     

    I think that in some aspects it's better than the D2H, but I'd also say in some ways it's not. BUT, since a D2H isn't something I would even think about right now, I don't really care.

     

    Anyway, enough rambling...

  14. Price is listed at about US$4,500, which seems steep to me, but I'm not sure if that's MSRP or MAP(street) yet. Must be nice to be Canon and feel that they have no competition and can price about US$1,200 higher than Nikon. :)

  15. Hi everyone,

     

    it's no longer a leak. This morning Canon Germany made the new 1D Mk II official. We'll be out waiting for housings to appear :-)

  16. Damn, that aint cheap! Particularly in Australia, where we pay way too much for camera gear.

     

    I'd like something better than the 10D, but this is three times the price. I guess it's half way between 10D and 1Ds.

     

    Would be a fine camera underwater though - 17-40L should still work well with 1.3 FOV crop, and would be a handy focal length. Plus I want better AF for topside.

  17. I'm actually really surprised at the cost at this point. I know they did a lot of work other than the chip, but they are reusing a lot as well. I was expecting a much lower cost frankly. Still, if you look at this price versus what the 1Ds is, it makes slightly more sense.

     

    The more I think about it, the more I believe this would be a great body to house. Oh well, it'll have to wait a while...

  18. After 30 years as a loyal Nikon enthusiast I’ve jumped ship and ordered my First Canon camera..After reading how well the images looked at ISO 800 I’m sold, I just hope it’s true ?

     

    Marc

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.