The one sample image I saw at ISO 1600 looked pretty nice considering, and would be awesome for B&W available light shots of wrecks.
Congrats on your transition to the "not so easily housed"-side. ![]()
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Started by tshepherd ·
Read-only discussion
The one sample image I saw at ISO 1600 looked pretty nice considering, and would be awesome for B&W available light shots of wrecks.
Congrats on your transition to the "not so easily housed"-side. ![]()
Marc - Welcome. ![]()
Where did you pre-order your camera?
"We know where you live Marc Furth..."
After 30 years as a loyal Nikon enthusiast I’ve jumped ship and ordered my First Canon camera?
Marc, Marc, Marc... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ![]()
That means his S2 is for sale! Who's got dibs?
Cheers
James
Damn, I wish Nikon would design a decent high-end DSLR. I wouldn't buy it, of course, but it would make Canon sell the 1D MkII at a better price!
I really want this camera for topside shooting, but the problem with lusting after new technology for underwater is that the housing lag is so great.
I think the body shape is the same as the 1D 'Mk 1', not sure about the button placement. There are photos at Rob Galbraith's site. Who is currently making 1D housings? Is Ikelite going to support this camera? Will it fit into their housing once they make it?
This camera is made for underwater use (except for the pricetag, which is way too much for anything that is going to be submerged in salt water!). 17-40L or 16-35L plus 1.3 FOV sensor plus 8+ megapixels would do the trick nicely.
I should have said Ritz pre-order, well at least I’m number two on that list.
The only thing that could change my mind would be a new S3 Pro or what ever sounded better in the spec dept.
Last weekend I shot a few really good pictures under are local pier. I used my S2 and my 14 mm Sigma lens. I was not using a flash and set my ISO to 400. The pictures came out great because of the subject material was awesome, 50 or so schooling Snook under the pier. I chased them around the pier for 6 hours, five different dives at 18 feet.
My point is, the pictures look good but a little to grainy for my taste. If this Canon camera pans out, I’ll be one happy camper.
I also order the new 28-300 mm lens, I’m not sure what lens I’ll buy for underwater use ?
Marc
I think the body shape is the same as the 1D 'Mk 1', not sure about the button placement. There are photos at Rob Galbraith's site. Who is currently making 1D housings? Is Ikelite going to support this camera? Will it fit into their housing once they make it?
1. Seacam - makes a 1Ds housing
2. Sea & Sea - supposedly you can custom order a 1Ds housing - costs as much as a Seacam
3. Subal - announced on their website and preliminary pricing is available - less than the other two
4. Ikelite - no idea, but I would imagine you could get one custom made
The body is supposed to be the same. One difference is that there are 3 buttons below the lower lcd screen instead of two. Not sure what difference it would make. No matter what, you're looking at a minimum of $5-$6K to get it housed if you buy one of the available housings, maybe less if Ike can make one.
I’m not sure what lens I’ll buy for underwater use
1. Canon 16-35L / 17-40L - i like the 17-40 topside, and I'll be trying it out next week
2. Canon 50mm macro or 100mm macro - got the 100mm, trying it next week
3. Sigma or Canon 15mm fisheye - don't have it
4. Sigma 12-24? - don't know if anyone has gotten one setup yet
5. Sigma 14mm - i had one, didn't really like it though
Hope this helps...
I think the body shape is the same as the 1D 'Mk 1', not sure about the button placement.
There's a photo of the two cameras together on page 1 of this thread.
There's a good preview at robgalbraith.com. The camera's official now (Canon US has announced it), so we're not talking about speculation re: the specs any more - unlike when we started this thread! Things change fast.
Housing price would definitely be a consideration - just because I'd consider spending $4500 on a camera doesn't mean I'd spend an unlimited amount on a housing to put it in!
Damn it, Canon has just about convinced me that I need to buy this baby:
http://canonusapressroom.com/images/1DMark...IWhitePaper.doc
And one more snippet of info:
I quote Chuck Wetfall from Canon USA (from the galbraith forums)
"As I've mentioned in another post, the biggest benefit of the SD card in this particular camera is the fact that it could be incorporated without changing the size of the outer camera body. This is crucially important in terms of controlling manufacturing costs and time to market. It's also beneficial to photographers who've invested in underwater housings for EOS-1Ds and EOS-1D for the same reason. The other benefits of instant backup or extended shooting capacity apply regardless of the secondary card format."
It's very kind of Canon to consider underwater photogs when making design decisions. I'm pleasantly suprised!
Wow, this is quite a camera! I think it is especially significant because it obliterates the line between film and digital - no longer do we need to choose between resolution/image quality and speed! Even with all the anticipation, I don't think anyone expected 8MP at the full 8fps! I thought it would offer variable fps depending on adjustable rez. How will they keep from cannibalizing 1ds sales? Must be a higher rez version on the way if they want to justify their $8000 flagship.
Perhaps Canon feels they have optimized the 1D body and we'll see fewer body changes in future models - that would be great for us all - although I'm sure the housing mfrs prefer that they move buttons around the same body!
I am blown away by this camera, and frustrated that Nikon seems light years from providing speed and hi rez in the same body. I've been shooting kitesurfing an sailboards topside and longing for a faster camera. D2H looks pointless now, unless it goes awfully cheap! An S3 might be our only hope, but I doubt it will come on an F5 or f100 chasis. I'd love to switch systems right now, but the wallet tells me to remain patient, and just take pics. My D100 is a great cam (albeit slow), and Canon's reputation for quality control worries me somewhat. I hope there is a surprise at PMA that brings Nikon to the plate, but more than any time in the history of the Dslr, I think Canon has taken a huge advantage here. Maybe Kodak will save the day - scary...
F6!
I'm shocked that they even mention UW photogs as being considered! There is rumor of another Canon dSLR at PMA, but nobody's sure what. I'd be a little surprised if they had another one so soon, more likely at Photokina in October.
F6!
As in "F6 in 2006!" Maybe if Nikon announces it in October, they'l get it to consumers by then!! ![]()
3. Subal - announced on their website and preliminary pricing is available - less than the other two
Subal had one on for the 1Ds at the BOOT Exibihition. Their Pricelist says 4450 € incl. Taxes
Simon
If you ask around, in the US, the Subal housing goes for around $4,400 US. My $5-6k range was inclusive of ports for adding the 100mm macro and 17-40L zoom lens. Not cheap no matter how you slice it, even when you have the ports already.
It's very kind of Canon to consider underwater photogs when making design decisions. I'm pleasantly suprised!
I doubt they considered it for an instant. Canon mentioning it only proves they're aware of it and know how to use it in their marketing spin. A hundred existing housings for the 1Ds are unlikely to generate incremental demand for 1D MkII's. Between the two, the 1Ds appears to be the better underwater camera cost-aside. I'm hoping this new camera precipitates a drop in 1Ds prices.
I'm hoping this new camera precipitates a drop in 1Ds prices.
Sounds like this camera has you "on the fence," too. In my view, this may be the "switch" camera for many Nikonians. I really do prefer Nikon's approach to digital - I don't need a new camera every 13months as Canon would prefer, but when I wait several years I expect more than the D2H - and Canon has shown that it can be done.
I still prefer Nikon's quality control (though it seems to be slipping), and love their wide angle digital options, but 1.3X isn't that bad and it is a reasonable trade off for blinding speed and hi rez.
I'm only hoping that this swing in the pendulum will eventually be countered - I can't afford new lenses!
Between the two, the 1Ds appears to be the better underwater camera cost-aside
Why's that Craig? Not trying to be contentious, just curious. I'm assuming FF and more pixels, but the AF on the MkII is supposed to be improved, the 1.3x will prevent having to deal with the fringes of some lenses, noise is supposed to be down, battery life is improved top 1200 shots (in theory), and it also offers ISO 50.
Thoughts?
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.