Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon leak or rumor - 1D Mk II

Started by tshepherd ·

  • 50Posts
  • 50Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon leak or rumor - 1D Mk II

50 posts
  1. 1D Mk2 also has a new flash exposure system (ETTL2). So now that ETTL has been almost worked out, the housing manufacturers can start working on a new puzzle!

     

    The 1Ds certainly has some advantages, but with the current pricing and the numerous advantages the 1DMk2 has over it's older sibling, I can't see many people buying a 1Ds now.

     

    In the Canon white paper I linked to above, Canon explains how kind they've been as this camera is worth $6000!!! According to them, they're letting you have it at a bargain price! :?

     

    In terms of their kind consideration for underwater photographers, that line isn't official Canon PR spin. It comes from their USA technical director, who makes a lot of useful posts on Galbraith's site in a semi-official capacity. He tends not to indulge in PR spin, and he's responding to a group who really couldn't give a toss about underwater photography anyway, so I think it stands as an interesting comment. FWIW, if this is Canon's design philosophy your 1Ds/1D Mk2 housing is likely to have a bit more longevity, which is probably a good thing given the prices being bandied around here for 1Ds housings!

  2. I think in terms of absolute resolution, the 1Ds should be better. The 1.3x crop may make the 1DII kinder on lenses, though. The big strengths of the 1DII as a PJ camera aren't very valuable underwater but I'm sure it would be great.

     

    I could see that the smaller pixel size of the 1DII might make it actually a little better for macro than the 1Ds. I'm very interested to see. The projected cost makes it very attractive.

     

    Kasey, I'm assuming I'll upgrade to the next big thing once it's clear what I want. I've held off on the 1Ds because of the cost, lenses, and the expectations of new cameras coming out. Insteaed, I tried without success to house a 14n. A price reduction on the 1Ds would suit all of us, even those who stay with the Nikon mount.

  3. The funny thing is, the one thing that REALLY makes this a PJ camera is the one thing I could care less about, the 8FPS. It's everything else that I like about the camara...

  4. I could see that the smaller pixel size of the 1DII might make it actually a little better for macro than the 1Ds

    Please explain that one Craig

  5. That means that for a given projection of an image on the sensor, you'll get more pixels in your resulting image. Assuming you take two shots from the same position, one with the 1Ds and one with the 1DII, the same compositional crop from both cameras will yield more pixels with the 1DII than with the 1Ds, even though the 1Ds has more overall pixels. (because the image projected onto the sensor is the same size in both cameras). The 1DII's image will be the full 8MP. The 1Ds' image would be whatever the equivalent crop is (at 1.3X), which presumably is fewer than 8MP.

     

    However, if you were free to move closer to frame your subject the same way, the 1Ds would be able to capture the photo with the full 11MP.

  6. Kasey, I'm assuming I'll upgrade to the next big thing once it's clear what I want.  I've held off on the 1Ds because of the cost, lenses, and the expectations of new cameras coming out.  Insteaed, I tried without success to house a 14n.  A price reduction on the 1Ds would suit all of us, even those who stay with the Nikon mount.

     

    Only if we can keep our tears from fogging our masks!

  7. Insteaed, I tried without success to house a 14n.  

     

    AFAIK UK-Germany has a Housing for the 14N

     

    Simon

  8. Don't worry Kasey, dry those eyes we're getting them housed already :wink: :mrgreen:

  9. Very reasonable price too, inc. port adapters.

  10. Eric is correct. That's why I think that the 1Ds will offer more overall resolution even though one could argue the opposite. Lenses tend to offer better resolution through the middle of the image and digital has a problem with incedent angles around the edge of the frame, but I'd be surprised if that alters the results between the two. Like to see.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.