Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Back Inflation or Jacket style BCD

Started by johnspierce ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Back Inflation or Jacket style BCD

49 posts
  1. There have been quite a few topics asking why a diver uses a back inflation or a jacket style BCD, so I'm not asking for a re-hash of that -- I'm just interested in what people are actually diving?

    Edited by johnspierce
  2. ...because I've not bothered to buy new. It works okay and I'm used to it. Why replace?

     

    (IF I were buying TODAY though.....oppposite vote)

  3. Your question John, prompted me to count my wings. Nine...

  4. I have changed from a back inflation to a jacket BCD after doing the Galapagos some years ago.

    With a back inflation BCD you get your face splashed with each wave in 3 feet of chop since you are unable to get you head high out of the water. The back inflation tends to pitch you forward where the jacket will not.

  5. I have changed from a back inflation to a jacket BCD after doing the Galapagos some years ago.

    With a back inflation BCD you get your face splashed with each wave in 3 feet of chop since you are unable to get you head high out of the water. The back inflation tends to pitch you forward where the jacket will not.

    You just need to add some ballast to your butt! :lol:

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  6. Back plate and wing, best trim in water. That's what counts for me :lol:

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  7. I love my jacket-style BC as it doesn't push my face in the water when I'm floating. If & when I need another BC, it'll be another jacket-style.

     

    -Gina

  8. I'm another who has (at least) one of each. Different tools for different jobs.

  9. The problems in the surface with a wing is all about technique and balance.

    I can stay vertical in the surface with my face out of the water without moving my fins, it's all about the balance.

    And you cannot have better trim underwater.

  10. You just need to add some ballast to your butt! :)

     

    Is that the same as losing some bioprene?

     

    Tim

     

    :lol:

  11. ...you cannot have better trim underwater.

     

    True, but perfect trim isn't neccessarily the best posture for photography, especially if you are using a straight viewfinder.

     

    Tim

     

    :lol:

  12. True, but perfect trim isn't neccessarily the best posture for photography, especially if you are using a straight viewfinder.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

     

    True, I still don't have a 45 degree viewfinder. :lol:

  13. I can stay vertical in the surface with my face out of the water without moving my fins, it's all about the balance.

     

    But can you get your head high enough out of the water in 3 foot chop so you do not get a face full of water with each wave and not be pitched forward?

  14. But can you get your head high enough out of the water in 3 foot chop so you do not get a face full of water with each wave and not be pitched forward?

     

    In the Great Lakes we deal with bigger waves than that while wearing wings. Generally when I'm on the surface I'm naturally leaning back so that I can use my fins more effectively and prevent water intake. If your back-inflated wing is pitching you forward that means you have way too much air in the wing.

  15. But can you get your head high enough out of the water in 3 foot chop so you do not get a face full of water with each wave and not be pitched forward?

     

    Absolutely, is all about using the correct size of wing according to the amount of weight you are carrying.

    And about not be pitched forward, is all in you body position. I've used different sizes of tanks, alu and steel, single and doubles. The trick is stop moving the fins and the hands and find the correct position to have a good valance.

    And after some time, you never feel any unbalance while in the surface.

  16. I use a jacket but I don't love it; am thinking about going to back-inflated BCD sometime soon. The integrated weights on mine sit too high on my 6' frame, and so I struggle not to pitch forward.

  17. I used a jacket style for most of my diving career after finally leaving the horse collars behind in the late 80's. However, as a shooter, I have been using a back inflated BC for the last several years. It enables me to avoid clutter in the front when filming.

    Steve

  18. Is that the same as losing some bioprene?

     

    Tim

     

    :lol:

    Oh yeah, I have some of that bioprene forward on the other side.

     

    I ditched the ole Oceanic last year when it became unreliable. I added weight pockets on the back tank strap for trim balance. My new back BC has them built in. I use 2:1 or 3:2 ratio lower weight to upper back trim. Over inflating on the surface can pitch you forward. Just relax and be still. I don't have a 45 deg. finder either. When properly trimed, up or down head movements can make gentle changes in position.

    Bob

  19. Poll responses are more heavily oriented to back inflate than I would have guessed. I have been diving my Seaquest Pro QD for about nine years; it's been a very good one, no complaints. Currently, I am attracted to the Zeagle Ranger for its replacement. I still like integrated weight pockets :lol:

  20. You just need to add some ballast to your butt! :lol:

     

    I actually have done this and it does help with my trim! I put about half my weights in my integrated BC pockets and the other half on a weight belt to balance out the backside bioprene.

     

    -Gina

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.