Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Back Inflation or Jacket style BCD

Started by johnspierce ·

  • 49Posts
  • 49Replies

Read-only discussion

Back Inflation or Jacket style BCD

49 posts
  1. Now, lets talk horse collar BCs. Anyone for a Fenzy? I still have a couple.

    And I still have a couple of friends who still use them.

     

    I saw someone with a Fenzy soon after I learned to dive and thought it was a good idea. However, other divers at the time told me they were dangerous.

    I was told that it was the direct feeds on them that were dangerous, and I wasn't allowed to use mine feed without training.

     

    Those were the days......

  2. I was told that it was the direct feeds on them that were dangerous...

     

    Thank heavens: someone else has been at this game for nearly as long as I have!

     

    I started with a Spirotechnique horse-collar (think: beefed-up Fenzy) with a SeaQuest direct-feed attachment... but my DO insisted that I still carried the inflation cylinder at b******k-bashing height. It was a delight to move on to a AP Valves Buddy SeaKing jacket (also with a cylinder, but this time tucked by my shoulder-blade, a much less troubling position)...

     

    ... and an almost equal delight to swap that for a Zeagle wing (despite the return of that strap between the legs). I've been an "angel" in the water ever since!

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

    Edited by tdpriest
  3. Thank heavens: someone else has been at this game for nearly as long as I have!

     

    I started with a Spirotechnique horse-collar (think: beefed-up Fenzy) with a SeaQuest direct-feed attachment... but my DO insisted that I still carried the inflation cylinder at b******k-bashing height. It was a delight to move on to a AP Valves Buddy SeaKing jacket (also with a cylinder, but this time tucked by my shoulder-blade, a much less troubling position)...

     

    ... and an almost equal delight to swap that for a Zeagle wing (despite the return of that strap between the legs). I've been an "angel" in the water ever since!

     

    Tim

     

    ;)

    Too long I sometimes think! My Spiro's long gone (punctured beyond economic repair) thank heavens (those crotch straps were a menace) but my Sea King is now my travel BC, although its lost its pockets (couldn't get things in and out) and acquired a second d/f where the cylinder feed used to be (originally for HSE purposes). Well faded of course, but still working and still on its original bladder.

  4. It's looking like I should have included a "front inflation" option for you die-hard horse collar folks ;)

     

    I started in 1983 and fortunately only dove with a horse collar BC twice.

  5. I dove with the Fenzy from about 81 to 88. We used to buy them at the swap meets for $5 or 10 and seal them up with a ton of Aqua Seal. Always had the little tank between it and my chest but didn't often use it. I never used or had the CO2 cartridges but since I learned on the Fenzy I was quite happy. One can not miss what they've never had. Actually, only bought a ScubaPro Classic BC in place of the Fenzy because I had joined the Sheriffs Dive Team and they insisted that I have one. I certainly didn't think of them as dangerous and still don't. I think someone told me that, brand new, they cost $600 which was an awful lot of money back in the early 80's.

    Steve

  6. We used to buy them at the swap meets for $5 or 10

    I bought one last year for £3 - perhaps still just about usable but I gave it to a friend for his dive gear collection.

  7. I am all for wings....

     

    I add a 1kg weight on the lower tank strap to balance the camera and give me a slightly better angle to look through the viewfinder which as an upside helps me from pitching forward even in large swells. However, i generally lean back and float like an otter with my camera resting on my chest! and another advantage of the wing - no buckles clips etc.. to do anything to the camera. and with a stainless steel backplate unless i am in a thicker suit than a 5mm - no additional weighting required!! :) i normally dive in a 3mm or a 5/4/3 suit so it is just about perfect.

  8. I have been using back flotation BCs since at least early '90s. I always found less interference with my shooting. As an aside I have always used a lanyard of some sort from my camera rig clipped to my BC. Usually from tray to D ring on my chest. After using straight nylon cord one for years and years I went over to coiled one of the heavy duty type with s/s fittings (no wimpy ones).

     

    Some camera housing allow weight to be screwed to base. I believe the goal is to have rig float upright and neutral? Isn't that the camera position most divers use?

     

    Balance becomes tricky when using long arms for CFWA~

  9. I have been using back flotation BCs since at least early '90s. I always found less interference with my shooting. As an aside I have always used a lanyard of some sort from my camera rig clipped to my BC. Usually from tray to D ring on my chest. After using straight nylon cord one for years and years I went over to coiled one of the heavy duty type with s/s fittings (no wimpy ones).

     

    Some camera housing allow weight to be screwed to base. I believe the goal is to have rig float upright and neutral? Isn't that the camera position most divers use?

     

    Balance becomes tricky when using long arms for CFWA~

     

    Most DSLR's are negative to begin with, so when you add bouancy to the strobe arms to make your rig neutral, the bottom of the housing is the COG point anyhow.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.