Yes, there is a little lag when using the OMD with TTL optical with the YS-D1s.
Note that on the OM-D you should set Menu -> Shooting Menu 2 -> RC Mode -> Off. If RC Mode is on there will be a lag when shooting TTL. I can't really see any lag with RC Mode off.
Thanks Hermit Crab. I have been shooting with RC Mode Off. The TTL delay is there and relates to the pre flash. Like I said, it's not that bad and the perfect flash exposures every time more than makes up for it. Those who have been shooting with compact cameras will probably not notice it at all. Those who are used to their 5D MKIII with YS-250's will definitely notice.
There is no way to eliminate the TTL delay except by going completely manual. The other issue that slows you down in rapid fire shooting is the recycle time of the camera's on-board flash. And you can minimize that by setting manual strobe power to 1/64.
How do you rate it compared with the other macro lens options?
Alex
Note that on the OM-D you should set Menu -> Shooting Menu 2 -> RC Mode -> Off. If RC Mode is on there will be a lag when shooting TTL. I can't really see any lag with RC Mode off.
Thanks Hermit Crab. I have been shooting with RC Mode Off. The TTL delay is there and relates to the pre flash. Like I said, it's not that bad and the perfect flash exposures every time more than makes up for it. Those who have been shooting with compact cameras will probably not notice it at all. Those who are used to their 5D MKIII with YS-250's will definitely notice.
There is no way to eliminate the TTL delay except by going completely manual. The other issue that slows you down in rapid fire shooting is the recycle time of the camera's on-board flash. And you can minimize that by setting manual strobe power to 1/64.
Thanks for the info, guys.
Alex
I have used the Panasonic 45 macro for some time now and I like the longer range of the 60mm and the focus speed better. IQ looks about the same to me with the Olympus having a slight edge. Until I see a quality 25/30 mm range macro I will hold onto the 45mm for larger subjects. I will be shooting the 60 with the focus range locked and with a +10 closeup later this week.
I also used the Olympus 50 macro (outstanding lens) for years with my DSLR systems but do not want to go to the adapter and extended port when I think the 60 is as sharp a lens and has much faster focus.
I would love to see a tele converter in the 1.4 to 1.5 range for the 60 macro and the 8mm fisheye.
Phil
Sold!
Looking sweet Phil! Thanks!
I would love to see a tele converter in the 1.4 to 1.5 range for the 60 macro and the 8mm fisheye.
Phil
Me too Phil. We have some nice, fast primes and Panasonic is delivering the X series of f/2.8 zooms. There is a 4/3 2x teleconverter, but not likely worth it using a 4/3 to m4/3 converter to get it.
Can we start an Oly OM-D fan boys & girls club?
Regards,
Bob
Todays set of images were taken with 60mm macro with the focus limiting switch set to 1:1 to 0.4m (15.7 inches). At this setting you are locked into a range and the lens will hunt if you are to close or to far away so it is about the same as not using it unless you are within the range. Once in range the AF locks on quite well if the subject is not moving to fast. This setting would be a great teaching tool for macro students who don't understand how close you need to be for many macro subjects.
The Lionfish was shot at F/2.8 from about six inxhes to give you an idea of DOF and sharpness wide open, very good I would say.
Todays set of images were taken with 60mm macro with the focus limiting switch set to 1:1 to 0.4m (15.7 inches). At this setting you are locked into a range and the lens will hunt if you are to close or to far away so it is about the same as not using it unless you are within the range. Once in range the AF locks on quite well if the subject is not moving to fast. This setting would be a great teaching tool for macro students who don't understand how close you need to be for many macro subjects.
The Lionfish was shot at F/2.8 from about six inxhes to give you an idea of DOF and sharpness wide open, very good I would say.
I assume that the custom port for this lens will be more expensive than a regular port. Do you see much value in being able to reach the focus range limiter underwater? From your last two messages I get the impression that the lens works pretty well when it is just set to full range.
Thanks,
Dennis
Hello Dennis,
First issue is that for my Nauticam housing no current port fits the lens that well. The flat port 72 that I have on loan for the lens is to long to use a closes up lens effectively, it would sit about an inch from the front of the lens. So yes a custom port would be needed or it may fit the 12-50 port but I have not seen that port yet. I am told that the lens fits the stock port for the Olympus PEN housings but again I can not confirm that for sure or if the closeup lens issue will be the same.
So while I would prefer a port that gives access to the focus limiter switch, I could live without it by just making a choice to use one setting or the other before I start the dive. I would of course prefer a 67mm thread on the port rather than the 77mm thread on the 12-50mm port.
Phil Rudin
Phil:
I am setting up my OM-D as a second camera so that my wife and I can each have one. We already have an EPL-2 with an Olympus housing, and from what I've heard the stock port fits the 60mm lens. Scott at Blue Water Photo says that they have tried it. I don't know what the gap will be though.
I've already bought the 60mm lens, and I have a 45mm. I'm planning to buy the Nauticam housing for the OM-D, but I've been waiting for the port for the 60mm. I'm wondering whether I should dedicate the 60mm to the EPL-2 and buy a macro port with the Nauticam housing as that one apparently fits the 45mm lens.
My other option would be to buy the dedicated Nauticam port for the 60mm and leave the 45mm on the EPL-2. I already own a Zen macro port for the Olympus housing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dennis
Hello Dennis,
First issue is that for my Nauticam housing no current port fits the lens that well. The flat port 72 that I have on loan for the lens is to long to use a closes up lens effectively, it would sit about an inch from the front of the lens. So yes a custom port would be needed or it may fit the 12-50 port but I have not seen that port yet. I am told that the lens fits the stock port for the Olympus PEN housings but again I can not confirm that for sure or if the closeup lens issue will be the same.
So while I would prefer a port that gives access to the focus limiter switch, I could live without it by just making a choice to use one setting or the other before I start the dive. I would of course prefer a 67mm thread on the port rather than the 77mm thread on the 12-50mm port.
Phil Rudin
The 60 mm fit perfectly the 12-50 port (that both I already own) and Nauticam has built a 77mm flip diopter holder for the 12-50 port to be able to use subsee or any other 67 mm wet lenses . Of course you can't acces the 60 mm focus limiter switch , but I can also live without that ,
I'm waiting impatiently to try the 12-50 and 60 mm underwater !
Hi Dennis,
The Panasonic and Zen port is a great combo. I would wait for the Nauticam 60 macro port or consider the 12-50 port if you intend to use that lens as well.
Phil
Mr. Phil, Dr. Alex et OM-D owners,
Have any of you upgraded to v 1.5 firmware? Comments and/or problems?
Regards,
Bob
The 60 mm fit perfectly the 12-50 port (that both I already own) and Nauticam has built a 77mm flip diopter holder for the 12-50 port to be able to use subsee or any other 67 mm wet lenses .
My understanding is that the flip diopter for the 12-50 port that will hold the 67mm diopters is not available yet (Bluewater). My 12-50 port arrives tomorrow, and I would love to have the flip for a Live-a-board trip coming up the second half of October. As a side note, after glancing at the assembly instructions for the port for the 12-50, I might need a PHD.
My understanding is that the flip diopter for the 12-50 port that will hold the 67mm diopters is not available yet (Bluewater). My 12-50 port arrives tomorrow, and I would love to have the flip for a Live-a-board trip coming up the second half of October. As a side note, after glancing at the assembly instructions for the port for the 12-50, I might need a PHD.
Yes the flip holder diopter seems not available yet , if you are in a hurry and want absolutely to use a wet macro lense with the 12-50 the other option is to buy the 77 mm lense from Dyron . It's not a bad idea , as this lense is wide , you should have less blurr on the side and the corner of the pictures
I don't know what PHD is ( I'm french ) but I easy understand what it's suppose to mean when I look to the zoom gear still in the box
Mr. Phil, Dr. Alex et OM-D owners,
Have any of you upgraded to v 1.5 firmware? Comments and/or problems?
Regards,
Bob
I've not upgraded mine yet, but I suspect Phil has - he's more efficient than me. Although I have ordered my 60mm lens.
Alex
I have made the v. 1.5 upgrade using Olympus viewer and without any problems. Have not had a chance to see what difference it makes. Some issues apply to video and to manual lenses which I do not use much. What I can say is that I did not loose my camera settings during the download. With other Olympus updates the camera settings have reverted back to default which can be a real pain.
Regarding the flip holder I would not agree that a 77mm closeup lens is going to be any better than a 67mm closeup lens because the AOV of the lens remains the same and would pass through the same center area of the glass with each.
Looking at the complex design of the 12-50mm zoom/macro button gear may give some a better idea of why it is priced higher than other much less complex gears and why Nauticam has been the first underwater housing Co. to win the Red Dot design award.
Phil Rudin
Regarding the flip holder I would not agree that a 77mm closeup lens is going to be any better than a 67mm closeup lens because the AOV of the lens remains the same and would pass through the same center area of the glass with each.
A 77mm to 67mm step down ring may work for the time being if you don't get the flip adapter in time and is not to expensive. http://www.bhphotovi..._Ring_Lens.html
Looking at the complex design of the 12-50mm zoom/macro button gear may give some a better idea of why it is priced higher than other much less complex gears and why Nauticam has been the first underwater housing Co. to win the Red Dot design award.
Phil Rudin
Thank you for the good idea to use a step down ring , I should have think of this by myself !! And more of all it's cheapest than buy another wet lense , very good !!
I'm completely convince that the price of the zoom gear for the 12-50 and the port are completely justified by the technical challenge and work that it needed , what I mean't was only that the zoom gear seems difficult to set up for me at home , but my husband will help me !!
But as long as I will not know what "PHD" means I will not be able to avoid misunderstood , the only explain I found on internet was about "Doctor of Philosophy"