Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam NA-EM5 housing in use

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 61Posts
  • 61Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam NA-EM5 housing in use

61 posts
  1. PHD is like saying you need to be a Rocket Scientist, very well educated to understand or work out a problem.

     

    I will be at the Festival in Marseille (Antibes) 1-4 Nov. will you be attending? Plan to be in the area for two weeks, how to get in a dive or two.

     

    Phil Rudin

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  2. But as long as I will not know what "PHD" means I will not be able to avoid misunderstood , the only explain I found on internet was about "Doctor of Philosophy" smile.png

     

    Yes, Ph.D. = Doctor of Philosophy degree. Do not confuse a Ph.D. with technical ability. There's an old saying. "B.S. = bull sh*t, M.S. = more of the same, Ph.D. = piled higher and deeper.

  3. Upgraded my camera with absolutely no problems. The Olympus updater led me from v 1.2 to 1.4 and then with a second upgrade to 1.5.

     

    The only caveat:: The update took long, very long (4min? 5min? felt like 30...). Just be patient and do not touch anything during the upgrade process, even if you think the system hangs and everything is screwed up. It isn't, it just takes time!

     

     

    @Girelle:

     

    Girelle, do you actually own the 60mm lens and tested how it fits into the 12-50 port? If it really fits perfectly, that would save the cost of buying a yet to come macro port and make the price of the 12-50 port less painful...

     

    Greetings,

    Jock

  4. To me, the instructions of what versions to update to are not clear.

     

    It says 1.5 includes all the updates, up to 1.2 ! Well, what about 1.3 and 1.4? Are we supposed to update them first? And then do the 1.5 update? Or is it really all rolled into the 1.5 ujpdate, as any sane firmware update should be.

  5. Don,

     

    just follow the the Olympus updater! (Stop thinking...)

     

    Jock

  6. Yes the flip holder diopter seems not available yet , if you are in a hurry and want absolutely to use a wet macro lense with the 12-50 the other option is to buy the 77 mm lense from Dyron . It's not a bad idea , as this lense is wide , you should have less blurr on the side and the corner of the pictures

    I don't know what PHD is ( I'm french ) but I easy understand what it's suppose to mean when I look to the zoom gear still in the box smile.png

     

    As I have a good friend who is an astro physicist, I'll substitute Rocket Scientist. And yes, the instructions are very clear, they just go much beyond the typical zoom gear ;-)

    Edited by tdtaylor
  7. A 77mm to 67mm step down ring may work for the time being if you don't get the flip adapter in time and is not to expensive. http://www.bhphotovi..._Ring_Lens.html

     

     

    I already figured I was headed down the path to a stepdown ring- I'm just getting spoiled by the flip, and not having to handle the diopter.

     

    I've read about holders for filters that attach to the strobe arms, so you don't have to throw them in a BC pocket. Anyone have a hint on where I can look. I'm taking a travel BC, so pocket space is at a premium.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Terry

  8. I am not a fan of flips because wherever you flip it, it is in the way. Flip left - blocks a strobe. Flip right - blocks a strobe. Flip up - blocks your focus light. Flip down - bashes into the seabed (or stops you getting the camera as low as possible).

     

    But my Subsee +5 has a small scratch in it from being in my BC pocket!

     

    Alex

  9. Alex, with the Nauticam Flip holder you can actually pull it behind the macro port. I shot it for 10 days without any real issues.

     

    Jack

  10. I have grown to like the flip, if only for the BC pocket issue. I changed the set screws on the mounting side of the flip and set them so the flip goes at a 45 degree angle up and to the left. This has mostly gotten rid of the issues I had which you mentioned above.

     

    I head out next week for a week diving, and since the new M77 to M66 flip is not available, and my travel BC has small pockets, I am giving this a try for holding filters for video. It is really not large enough for the diopters, but a Dyron +7 can just squeeze in if another filter in not in the opposite side. I have been using one of these for several years above ground, and being neoprene, thought I would be convenient UW. It is pretty easy to get a 77mm filter in either side with one hand and secure it in the holder. We'll see....

     

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/289675-REG/OP_TECH_USA_0601122_FILTER_PACK.html

  11. Girelle, can you confirm, the nauticam 12-50 port, only supports motorized zoom, on that lens? Or can you use manual zoom?

  12. Yes, the Nauticam port is supports power zoom and macro mode. Manual zoom is not supported.

  13. So, this is the beastie:

     

    p_191.JPG

  14. 67mm filter thread on that port?

  15. For those with this housing already, what tray and arm set are you using? There was a comment somewhere that the Nauticam Flexitray was "too flexible" but its not clear what that meant. Any recommendations?

  16. 67mm filter thread on that port?

     

    Nope, 77mm

     

    For those with this housing already, what tray and arm set are you using? There was a comment somewhere that the Nauticam Flexitray was "too flexible" but its not clear what that meant. Any recommendations?

     

    Ultra light tray and arms on my rig.

     

    1024.jpg

    Edited by jlyle
  17. Yes, the Nauticam port is supports power zoom and macro mode. Manual zoom is not supported.

     

    Bummer! That is a non starter for me. Power zoom! You must be kidding. I know, all you videographers love it. But yuck!!!!

  18. I like the Nauticam Flexitray and think the grips are the best I have used. The fact that the tray has a bit of "flex" rather than being very rigid does not bother me at all. I also have the wrist strap for added support while holding the housing with my right hand. To offset the negative weight of the small housing while in the water I use the same type of blocks seen in Jlyle's photo above. I use four blocks for both macro and my W/A (7-14, 6' dome) I also have two of the eight inch Inon float arms attached with both the macro and W/A. What adds the most dead weight to the macro system for me is the SubSee +10 closeup lens a heavy but steller chunck of glass. I also use the Nauticam 45 degree viewfinder with the NA-EM5 housing (excellent for macro lenses) and that adds a bit of weight as well.

     

    Phil Rudin

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  19. Phil, do you use the large-diamater float arms or the smaller ones. I am now thinking about the "details" of my system (which I think will be pretty much identical to yours: Housing/tray, 6" dome with 7-14, 12-50 and 60 macro both in the 12-50 port, and 45 deg viewfinder) but had not thought about bouyancy.

     

    Also, will the 9-18 work in the 6" dome? Looks like there is sufficient room. Sometimes, the extra reach on the long end is beneficial and I am thinking about keeping that lens anyway as an ultra-compact travel lens kit with the 14-150, but would like to use it underwater if it works.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.