The results are quite staggering!!
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Sony NEX-6 Samyang 8mm vs Nikon D90 Tokina 10(-17)mm
Started by Scubysnaps ·
- 68Posts
- 68Replies
Read-only discussion
Sony NEX-6 Samyang 8mm vs Nikon D90 Tokina 10(-17)mm
-
-
-
-
-
-
shorts taken slightly under exposure to increase a bit of noise, the samyangs focus was set at 1ft, any requests?
-
dont forget to zoom in on PC with alt key and mouse wheel or usual finger touch apple methods...I think the sony/samyangs a clear winner, sharper, less noise, more coverage, better colour, no CA...anyone disagree?
I also feel the sony will be a lot quicker capturing the action as its fixed focus in a housing and shutter priority is only to be used
-
shorts taken slightly under exposure to increase a bit of noise, the samyangs focus was set at 1ft, any requests?
I would like to see a apples to apples compairson. The Nikon D90 is much older technolgy and only 10 megapixiles. Compaire sony to the Nikon D7000.
-
I don't have any fruit in!?
-
Think it looks to me like it handles noise better from your tests. though looking at the top two images, It looks like the nikon has more DR. I can see more detail on the chair, tv area. wall paper, camera. The top one looks a little underexposed against the nikon one below it. Just my 2ps worth.
-
-
-
The main excitement here is that this is a first for the APS-C sensor 8mm mirrorless fisheye, i know we are losing 2 controls but that's not a major issue. We still have manual exposure control via iso and shutter speed. And we get the shots we want!
-
I think the camera settings is flawed as f11 on dslr and on a compact is not equivelant due to the difference in lens/camera size. What is the max an min apt on the Sony? Perhaps take the optimum setting on both as apposed to the same settings....
-
What is also flawed is you are compairing the d90, 3 year old 10 megapixel camera technolgy and a 16 megapixel camera with todays technoligy. To be fair you should compaire the d7000 to the sony.
-
I think the camera settings is flawed as f11 on dslr and on a compact is not equivelant due to the difference in lens/camera size. What is the max an min apt on the Sony? Perhaps take the optimum setting on both as apposed to the same settings....
Both NEX-6 and D90 use APS-C sensors so identical F-stop must be used or else the comparison will be biased.
To be fair you should compaire the d7000 to the sony.
Since 5N uses pretty much identical 16MP sensor as the newer NEX-6 with on-sensor PDAF sensors, this comparison gives you some idea how the NEX high-iso IQ in general compares to the current Nikon dSLR: NEX vs. D7000 (uses Sony 16MP sensor) vs. D4 vs. D600 (uses Sony 24MP FF sensor) Switching to RAW comparison is easy.
-
On the smaller camera, the physical measurement of the aperture's diameter will be smaller than on the larger camera and that is why it is biased. Thus my suggestion to try both at their optimum settings to see what is the best they can produce rather than showing how one is able to produce a bad image...that is easy, i produce bad images all the time!!!

-
i'n merely pointing out that we have a new fisheye set-up for the DX sized sensor (in mirrorless format), the one prior to this is what I compared it with (ok on a D90 not the D7000 but difference in shots between the D90 and D7000 would be minimal) with noticeable improvemnet plus the added bonus of a wider field of view
-
It is pretty incredible how much punch a compact camera packs....
Your comparison is interesting to me as I use a D90 and that is why I am asking if you could do the same test but trying to produce the best possible image of the same object with both cameras. If you get a chance it would be cool if you could!
Cheers,
John
-
I think the camera settings is flawed as f11 on dslr and on a compact is not equivelant due to the difference in lens/camera size. What is the max an min apt on the Sony? Perhaps take the optimum setting on both as apposed to the same settings....
I think it's a fair comaprison since both cameras have the same sensor size. The nex is not a real "compact" camera. It's a large sensor compact size camera.