Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony NEX-6 Samyang 8mm vs Nikon D90 Tokina 10(-17)mm

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 68Posts
  • 68Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony NEX-6 Samyang 8mm vs Nikon D90 Tokina 10(-17)mm

68 posts
  1. The results are quite staggering!!

     

    Thanks for the comparison. Don't you have by chance an option to compare the samyang to the 16mm lens+ fisheye adapter combo. I have this adapter and I'm still not convinced that the samyang is a big enough quality improvement over it.

  2. Thanks for the comparison. Don't you have by chance an option to compare the samyang to the 16mm lens+ fisheye adapter combo. I have this adapter and I'm still not convinced that the samyang is a big enough quality improvement over it.

    You're welcome.

     

    Jmauricio tried this earlier on in the NEX and 8mm fisheye thread, I also tried it in the shop last Friday but never had the 8mm at the time, although I did use my wife's face at 4 inches from the lens (sorry she wont let me publish the results!), a lot more fitted in the 8mm and not as much distortion, I'll check later for sharpness around edges, but this can be seen on my shots here

  3. I think it's a fair comaprison since both cameras have the same sensor size. The nex is not a real "compact" camera. It's a large sensor compact size camera.

     

    The sensor size is the the only thing that is equivalent between the two setups, everything else is different. How is that a fair comparison?

     

    Anyhow Scubysnaps stated in his post that he is "merely pointing out that we have a new fisheye set-up for the DX sized sensor" and granted it appears to be a good setup, but a little more convincing would be be needed to say it is a better setup but then again he did not say that....

  4. Didnt I? Well considering I am grabbing the mirrorless bull by the horns and trying to squeeze the best out of it on the same sized sensor what we used to use on the "old DX" while everyone else jumps on the smaller sensor OMD wagon, or the larger FF D800 route I'm surprised theres not many more of me.

    Yes I think its better, much prefer this NEW camera than a 2-4 year old one, nothing much is being lost, considering the size is about half as much, in fact more is being given than taken away.

    Please ask if I have not tested it on land for a better test? I've done it with moving and close up subjects for focus, white areas for colour cast. I think at least the orgiinal comparison shots on my tests was a lot sharper than the Tokina, happy to do more? I'll do a small aperture and infinity focus Friday of not before too, and do the movie test I havent done yet with sahllow depth of field, and DR test.

  5. Fair enough, but if you do your next tests then it would be great if you could attempt to expose the pictures best possible and using an lower ISO setting such as 200.. Ie it would be nice to see the best attempt taken with each camera and comparing that. Looking at the previous images there is a difference in the exposure achieved with the same settings.

     

    I am not ignorant, if your results can show that one camera will take a better image than another then so be it, however at this point it only shows that in some cases the Sony takes a better picture at a specified setting. As mentioned these tests are very interesting to me as I use a D90 s please bare with me!!

  6. ok will do so when I have access to more daylight outside of work.....Friday, but will also try and look thru what I have already taken in the evening

  7. ok, managed to pop out for lunch and get some more fairly colourful 8mm sunny iso100 shots at infinity focus and f22, sadly no D90 with me (too big ;) ), but hopefully they show sharpness throughout, will dodge some shadows too, see how they come out

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  8. Thanks for the comparison, but remember no good deed goes unpunished, lol. I think many "were" excited about the Sony line but the lens issues have tempered that excitement. The OMD has caught on because it is a good camera and with it's line-up of lenses everyone can go out TODAY. Sold my D7000 gear, taking the Sony RX100 on the net trip and still on the fence with OMD vs. Sony Nex vs. Fuji. Question is can people (me) wait till spring for the new Zeiss lenses??? Will there be a new version of the Nex7 between now and then??? Interested to see more on the Nex6.

  9. i hope to use a diopter or 2 with the kit lens for macro until thats out, remember if you buy MFT you cant use your DX lenses on it, there's an electronical adapter hopefully out in Spring, so you wont have to fork out for another expensive lens collection. A mirrorless EVF will never beat a dSLR viewfinder, and that feel, just handy for the odd land shoot

  10. WOW!

     

    Quality reduced to 57% file size about 500k from a fine jpeg image

    1/60sec iso100 focus infinity f22...this is magic! 1st shot of 3

    post-16933-0-97860500-1351626765_thumb.jpg

  11. above image is a crop of this one, reduced to 50% quality and 640x640px to fit it under a meg

    post-16933-0-74461700-1351627378_thumb.jpg

  12. Thanks for the comparison, but remember no good deed goes unpunished, lol. I think many "were" excited about the Sony line but the lens issues have tempered that excitement. The OMD has caught on because it is a good camera and with it's line-up of lenses everyone can go out TODAY. Sold my D7000 gear, taking the Sony RX100 on the net trip and still on the fence with OMD vs. Sony Nex vs. Fuji. Question is can people (me) wait till spring for the new Zeiss lenses??? Will there be a new version of the Nex7 between now and then??? Interested to see more on the Nex6.

    Spring?, I can only hope but Zeiss said spring/summer so I am planning on seeing them sometime in early September. I hope you are right, but everything for the NEX seems to take a lot longer to get out.

    Bill

  13. original that I had dodged for the above image in LR, no other work done at all apart from compression to get it on here

    post-16933-0-90345600-1351627553_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Scubysnaps
  14. quality upped a bit to just under a meg 80% qual at 950pix

     

    more, same settings, untouched

    post-16933-0-49747400-1351627934_thumb.jpg

    post-16933-0-49228200-1351628048_thumb.jpg

  15. maybe too much quick dodging here

     

    untouched.

     

    crop

    post-16933-0-28715400-1351628347_thumb.jpg

    post-16933-0-85356200-1351628428_thumb.jpg

    post-16933-0-62152400-1351628536_thumb.jpg

  16. moving car, ok sorry i did it at 1/400, should have done it at 1/200 max

     

    2:1 crop

    post-16933-0-64220800-1351628739_thumb.jpg

    post-16933-0-73510100-1351628854_thumb.jpg

  17. look at her picking her nose!!

  18. a bit heavy and messy on the dodging again, but I'm noit here to try and win awards or something!

    post-16933-0-43764200-1351629457_thumb.jpg

  19. 2:1 crop of tower block at beginning...ok can I stop now!?

    post-16933-0-12574600-1351629580_thumb.jpg

  20. ok, onw more 2:! crop from the same image, with the exposure dropped 1.3 stops

    post-16933-0-95835700-1351629831_thumb.jpg

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.