I have been an avid underwater photographer for about 10yrs. My underwater camera equipment for the last 7yrs has been the Olympus C-5060, Ikelite housing, DS-125 and DS-50 dual strobes. I recently purchased the DS-160 to replace the DS-50. See photography at: http://www.pbase.com/mjeas
While I have been very pleased with the results, the limitations and slow autofocus are finally driving me to upgrade. However, there are simply too many other options on the market. I have narrowed down my upgrade options to the OM-D or going SLR, but I am looking for some feedback from others. Cost is a relative factor, as I am hoping to keep the cost to about $5,000.
Option 1: Make a complete overhaul with the new Olympus OM-D E-5 with Nauticam housing, Sea & Sea YS-D1 or INON Z240 dual strobes with arms, and 60mm and 8mm lenses? Approximately $6,000 upgrade. This is more costly, but it offers a much lighter and travel friendly option.
Option 2: Use my existing Nikon D7000 and purchase the Ikelite housing, port assembly, 105mm, 60mm, Tokina 10-17mm lenses and 1.4x teleconverter. Approximately $5,000 upgrade. This is less expensive, but I can use my existing Ikelite strobes since I just purchased the DS-160. The new lenses can also make above water photography more appealing.
Please assist in providing ideas, options, and alternatives for someone who is interested in macro photography with the flexibility for wide angle.
Thanks!