Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Removing water marks on port glass?

Started by xcetra ·

  • 66Posts
  • 66Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing water marks on port glass?

66 posts
  1. Hi,

    I have a Nauticam macro port 65 that I've been using for a year for the Nauticam OM-D E-M5 housing.

    I've just noticed there seems to be water drop stain marks on the port glass. I've tried cleaning these out with soapy water, lens cleaner, and water/vinegar but none seem to help.

    I don't think this glass is coated.

    Anyone have a solution to get these stubborn stains out of the glass? Polishing with a glass polisher work?

     

    Also, I'm pretty sure these marks are on the outside of the glass port.

    Regards,

    Jason

    I've attached photos of the marks. Saltwater stains?

    post-4313-0-63849900-1400343334_thumb.jpg

    post-4313-0-91424400-1400343354_thumb.jpg

    Edited by xcetra
  2. Normal house window glass cleaner? I've used that previously on a glass dome. Worked for me. But for some coatings it might be too strong. Not sure. Tried glasses wet wipes?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. I've also tried window glass cleaner. The water spots are very hard to remove. I'm also cautious of harsh chemicals because I don't want to damage the o-ring of the macro port.

  4. I'm sorry to say. But that looks very water burnt. Not sure if that will ever come back.

     

    Do you soak (and I mean for a while, not just a rinse) your housing in fresh water after every dive?

     

    It might be worth sending back for a service / new glass element. Saying that, do those stains effect in water use?

     

    I found some really good glass cleaner. Let me dig it (the name) out for you.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. If they are water stains you should be able to remove them with vinegar,

    soak a soft kitchen paper and press it on so that it stick on the glass and check every 5 minutes if it dissolves the stains.

     

    Rinsing the hosuing and especially the glass/acrylic ports is essential, BUT
    even more essential is to dry them after rinsing with a soft towel and take extremly care with acrylic glass as the get scratched very easy.

    Instead of rubbing it dry you may dab the water drops with a soft, assorbing cloth or paper.

     

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  6. Try CLR (Calcium LIme Rust Remover), I found it worked really well for removing water spots from my rig:

     

    http://www.clrbrands.com.au/

    Edited by Gudge
  7. thetrickster,

     

    Yeah, that's what someone else said that it may not be possible to remove the marks. Though, I would imagine a fine polish should remove them. The glass still seems smooth so I would think the marks haven't etched into the glass.

    I do try to soak my housing in fresh water after a days diving. There's probably been a couple times I didn't get a chance to soak the housing. But I do rinse every time. Though, I do do a lot of beach dives and probably there's been times where I couldn't rinse my housing for several hours.

     

    I don't think the stains affect image quality underwater. Haven't noticed. Looking through the port with a bowl of water I can't see the stains.

     

    Chris,

    I've tried a vinegar/lime solution diluted in water soaking for at least 12 hours but that didn't seem to help. I will try your technique of pure vinegar.

    Gudge,

    If all else fails, I will try the CLR.

     

    Thanks for all the suggestions

  8. Hi Jason

     

    I hate to say this but this looks ominously like marks I had on my Subal flat port after a few months working in the Lembeh Straits in 2009-10.

     

    I tried all sorts to remove them - including consulting Wetpixlers. But no joy. Luckily for me Subal ports can be re-glassed and this is what I did.

     

    I still have no clue what the "bloom" was or what caused it.

  9. That's good work on the water marks... ;) Not sure whether they will come out. One good tip with glass ports is to take a small sqwirty water container on the boat with a mix of isoprol alcohol and fresh water and give them a quick spray if the water is going to dry on it.

  10. TimG,

    Yeah the stains seem more like an odd chemical reaction with the glass rather than mineral deposits. Thankfully, you don't seem to notice them when the glass is wet. After looking through the glass when the port is partially submerged in a bowl of water, it doesn't seem to affect image quality.

    jonny shaw,

     

    Thanks for the tip. I do usually try to keep my housing wet if fresh water isn't available and rinse, soak and dry as soon as possible.

  11. Get some glass wax (or car polishing compound) and use that. You need something a bit abrasive. These don't look like dissolved minerals at all but if they are smooth (rather than etched/pitted) you will be able to clean them with the compound.

    BIll

  12. Hey Jason

     

    Did you ever get anywhere with this?

  13. Hi Tim,

     

    No I didn't. Though I didn't yet try the car polishing solution yet. You have any ideas?

     

    Jason

  14. Sorry, no! I was hoping the car polish would solve the problem for you. At least it would give you a nice shiny port eh?

  15. What happend, did u get it fixed?

  16. Pajjipen,
    i hope and guess he did as the tread is from 2014.

     

    However, i would suggest to try the vinager solution, if it's nt working then have the glass changed (or change it by your self)

     

    Chris

  17. I've had this same problem with my 9.25" glass dome. Imperfect care over many years. Doesn't seem too bad optically UW but tough to tell for sure.

     

    After some research I purchased some Mother's Chrome Polish. So far I've done one treatment and it does seem to have improved but will definitely need a few more applications. I taped off the base of the glass with blue painter's tape so the polish doesn't make contact with the dome's o-ring. Could tell the difference vs the sliver of taped glass after - the polish definitely helped, but there's still a ways to go.

     

    I'd read multiple suggestions online of using Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish for optical glass, but saw a forum post by the company's CEO suggesting Chrome Polish as better.

     

    I may also try vinegar & CLR. We'll see.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Chris

  18. Recently went through this with a 4"Zen dome. Soaking in vinegar for couple days did not work. Finally got some glass polish containing 'cerium oxide' and using fine micro mesh paper was able to remove stains. Takes a while but works. Product I bought off eBay was CarPro CeriGlass used in auto detailing. 3M also has cerium oxide based product but only sells in liter bottles and is quit expensive. Work a small area at a time and when it starts to dry rinse with fresh water and repeat. Dry with micro fiber towel. Will not remove scratches of course but takes care of these type of stains.

     

    Steve

  19. 5 hours ago, mackman said:

    Necro’ing an old post but wanted to report success using Mothers Water Spot Remover for Glass on two macro ports and my SMC1.

    Did you buff by hand or with a buffing wheel?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.