Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Removing water marks on port glass?

Started by xcetra ·

  • 66Posts
  • 66Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing water marks on port glass?

66 posts
  1. 7 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    I've seen some very worn faded looking Nauticam housings around and this is from the same issue

    :P

  2. I do try to be careful and keep the housing and port wet until it can be properly soaked and dried, not just for water spots, but O ring protection from dried salt as well, but sometimes things can go wrong on a hot Caribbean day on a small boat.

    Still curious about the use of abrasives, commercial window cleaning products and chemicals on coated ports, though. 

  3. 2 hours ago, Draq said:

    sometimes things can go wrong on a hot Caribbean day on a small boat.

    Sounds like the opening line to a song from Meatloaf (RIP)

  4. Nauticam recommends novus #2 with a clean microfiber cloth cloth (do NOT use the abrasive paper that sometimes comes with novus 2). Also I was told while glass used to have a coating, currently the coating/treatment is only in the inside of the glass that isn’t exposed. 

    as a preventative, Marc at Bluewater photo recommends salt x as well after a soak. I think a rinse with some drinking water after that would probably be ideal, then a wipe down with a microfiber cloth.

    I wish this was day one information. Places like south Fakarava pass and kri eco resort have brackish water coming out of the tap, not so nice for glass especially on long trips. 

    Edited by lasbaegas
  5. I've been reading up on this as I have some stains on a (coated, according to specs) Inon UCL-165 lens bought second-hand in Thailand afew years back.

    Looking into Mothers California Gold Water Spot Remover for Glass (which is available in Indonesia, but way more expensive than the zillion other glass cleaners / spot removers offered to car-lovers on Tokopedia)
    I found a safety data sheet which lists the following ingredients for Mothers:

    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 19.35.03.png

    Mothers_06712_MPUSSDS_USA.pdf

    I guess Aluminum oxide would be the most active / abrasive?

    Edited by bghazzal
  6. 44 minutes ago, bghazzal said:

    I've been reading up on this as I have some stains on a (coated, according to specs) Inon UCL-165 lens bought second-hand in Thailand afew years back.

    Looking into Mothers California Gold Water Spot Remover for Glass (which is available in Indonesia, but way more expensive than the zillion other glass cleaners / spot removers offered to car-lovers on Tokopedia)
    I found a safety data sheet which lists the following ingredients for Mothers:

    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 19.35.03.png

    Mothers_06712_MPUSSDS_USA.pdf 56.52 kB · 0 downloads

    I guess Aluminum oxide would be the most active / abrasive?

    It's the only thing abrasive in the mix, the rest is just a carrier.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.