Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 73Posts
  • 73Replies

Read-only discussion

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

73 posts
  1. I agree, this looks like it may be a really excellent fixed-lens camera.

  2. This looks really interesting. I've been stuck on the G series cameras happy with the macro but very unhappy with the inability to do TTL in manual mode. Maybe this addresses that. One thing that is not at all clear is how you use Av/M/Tv on this camera. (just from looking at the controls).

  3. Vondo, the answer to your question of P/S/A/M mode is in this video, skip to 5:25 :

     

     

    I do have a bit concern, the flash is going to be in the hotshoe, so the housing could be a bit tall. The lens barrel seems a bit long once it's fully extended, so hopefully Nauticam has no problem with it.

     

    The 3cm focus distance for the Macro is really great. It's also really great that it goes up to f16, which may not need and ND filter after all. Early November is going to be a long time to wait!

  4. Thanks. It's old-school :-) Shutter on the camera, aperture on the lens, A(automatic) for both is P. Will take some getting used to after all of these years.

     

    3 cm at 24mm. 30cm at 75mm close focus. I hope that's not an issue for macro.

     

    Canon released a G7 X which looks promising as well, but I fully expect it will be needlessly crippled in the manual flash department.

  5. I'm not sure if the Canon G7X is a direct competitor to the LX100. The Canon G1X Mark 2 is more the direct competitor to the LX100, if you don't talk about video feature. But I believe Canon is suffering from focus speed these days. The LX100 has the focus speed of the GH4, so it would benefit photographer a lot.

  6. I hope Nauticam does not bother at all about still images and does a video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash

  7. I think the G7 X is aimed at the RX100 series. I mention it only as another possibility I might consider.

  8. Well, if Nauticam is smart enough, they should already have a solution just require minor tweaking, and they can sell more product!

     

    http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/nauticam-flash-trigger-canon

     

    I have been shooting in manual instead of TTL, so not having TTL is not really an issue for me. Finger cross, hopefully LX100 housing is being plan asap.

  9. I'm shooting full manual too but find that adjusting the output of the two Inons takes long enough that it slows me down or causes me to miss shots. Any advice is appreciated. :-)

  10. I hope Nauticam does not bother at all about still images and does a video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash

     

     

    I am only interested in this for use on land, so I had not thought about the flash issue. That would be quite a hump, but I highly doubt Nauticam would create a video-only housing for a camera like this. I hope someone can work it out for those of you looking at this for underwater use.

  11. Nauticam has created video versions for the rx100 so they could do it for a 4K camera

  12. Nauticam has created video versions for the rx100 so they could do it for a 4K camera

     

    Nauticam offers a "video only" housing for the RX100? One that does not accommodate the use of optically fired strobes, thus rendering still photography impractical? That is odd; I cannot find such a creature on their website, even looking at discontinued models. What was the model number for this housing?

  13. Rx100V it has the hdmi bulkhead to connect the dp4 monitor. However it also work with integral flash that the rx100 has

  14. Rx100V it has the hdmi bulkhead to connect the dp4 monitor. However it also work with integral flash that the rx100 has

     

    That's not what you referred to in your earlier post; you advocated a "video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash." I commented that they were unlikely to produce such a housing, to which you replied with a claim that Nauticam made a "video version" of the RX100 housing. The clear implication of the two posts was that Nauticam had made a "video only" housing in the past which they simply have not.

    Edited by Draq
  15. Zebra pattern feature, which I don't think Canon (G7x) has :

     

    Panasonic has the best remote camera control feature:

     

    A true time lapse feature that takes up to 9999 picture and create a video for you:

     

    4K Frame capture:

     

    Focus peaking:

     

    It's really a capable video and photo device. Still waiting and see what make it different from the GH4.

     

    If Nauticam have to have a tall housing like Olympus just to house the hot shoes flash, I think it's acceptable:

     

    1079588.jpg

    Edited by kc_moses
  16.  

    That's not what you referred to in your earlier post; you advocated a "video only housing instead of building a monster to host the add on flash." I commented that they were unlikely to produce such a housing, to which you replied with a claim that Nauticam made a "video version" of the RX100 housing. The clear implication of the two posts was that Nauticam had made a "video only" housing in the past which they simply have not.

    The camera is structurally different. If they had to do a V version for the lx100 it would be good to reduce the bulk by skipping the space for the flash

     

    I also doubt a 24-75mm fixed lens is of any practical use for still images but that's another story

  17. Well, if Nauticam is smart enough, they should already have a solution just require minor tweaking, and they can sell more product!

     

    http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/nauticam-flash-trigger-canon

     

    I have been shooting in manual instead of TTL, so not having TTL is not really an issue for me. Finger cross, hopefully LX100 housing is being plan asap.

    .

     

    I've been looking for a camera to replace my RX100. I'm not satisfied with that camera's macro ability. This device makes the 100 a real contender.

     

    I have a GX7 and love that camera. This looks like the closest compact camera equivalent.

  18. The LX100 won't be the solution. The lens is only 75mm equivalent and the depth of field not improved. You will get pretty close out of the box but things will look tiny in the frame

     

    Possibly the canon 1" sensor camera will offer an improvement with a 100mm lens however rumour has it that the chip is the same as RX100 so won't be much better either

     

    Is a bit of a compromise issue sensor size/aperture/depth of field. The best supermacro still comes from 1/1/.7" sensor cameras like the Powershot S or G series it is just the physics

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.