Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 73Posts
  • 73Replies

Read-only discussion

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

73 posts
  1.  

    This interface harkens back to the days of pre-auto exposure cameras. Then the aperture control was part of the lens, not in the camera. So you want to adjust the lens, you turn a dial on the lens. Want to adjust camera, turn a dial on the camera. In a sense, it's more logical than what we have now. I suspect that interface came from cheap automatics with one dial. Why else is it that the function of the wheel near the shutter button on my Canon SLR changes depending on the mode? As does the back dial?

     

    I don't know if the LX100 controls are ultimately better, but it isn't new, it's the oldest thing under the sun.

     

    Aha good info, thanks.

    My first camera was a Vivitar back in the early 80s or very late 70s, 35mm film days but I forgot the details of its operation or the model number, I am sure it was not full manual AE because I won't want one ...LOL. I was like 13-14 years old back then.

     

    I wanted a Nikon but for some reason the saleman was so good...he sold me a Vivitar....ha ha ha.

    Later I got a cheap Nikon F-801 silver body. That was my last SLR 35mm film camera.

    Later near mid 90s , I got a waterproof Canon A1, that ends my 35mm film camera ownership...I flooded it...LOL.

     

    Next camera ownership was a digital one, used...Nikon Coolpix 5000 early 2000s.

    And surely digital camera from then on....

     

    I never had the opportunity to mess with pre-auto exposure one, my eldest brother did.

  2. What happens if you shoot in aperture priority instead with auto ISO on? I know the shutter speed goes to 1/25 or 1/30 minimum but how does it manage between iso and shutter?

     

    The display does not show what ISO it chooses nor shutter speed for A mode video, but for photo with half button press you see the data.

    I also wish it will show shutter speed and ISO choosen for video... would be nice.

  3.  

    This camera is target for users who have decent knowledge about shutter speed, aperture and EV. By knowing the relationship of that 3 properties, the dials give users control on the result. P/A/S/M mode is easier to use for beginner, but often this also make the user "not to think" much. I have a friend just pick up photography, he just keep rotate the dial from P to A to S etc. and keep taking shot after shots and don't know what to do when the picture come up not great.

     

    LX100 might be confusing for new users, but over time, it will force user to think about the technical aspect of photography, which is not a bad thing. Look at it this way, it's not a camera for your grandma, so it's a camera for photo enthusiast, make you stand out from other Point & shoot people, and the price tag reflect that too.

     

    LOL....I bought this for its 4K video at small foot print, 12MP is crap by today's standard for still photo but its choosen by the designer to defend its 4K video I am sure. Even GH-4 still photo is crap. I got it for 4K video too, change-able lens model.

    If I want to take serious photo , rarely though as I don't really like photo much ... I use my D800 or for simple ones for work I use my RX100mk1 or Mk3.

     

    I am in a 4K junkie fever now, I already have two Hero4 Black 4K, Panasonic Bullet Cam 4K that HX-500 and that Inon wet wide angle lens for GoPro and wet close up wide angle lens...so me now hunting small footprint 4K camera which Nauticam will have housing for....he he he he.

     

    I love small 4K cameras, regardless of its limitation they are cute and fun to use and more affordable.

    .

    Edited by SPP
  4. If it was not for underwater use the LX100 is a winner however I am concerned of the fact we now have a port system with adapters

    Ideally the dome port is fit for all purpose medium fish but the rectangular port is too narrow unless you go to Lembeh

    The short wide port is good only for whale sharks or similar

    Am really puzzled if I should bite the bullet and get the GH4 instead as there are promotions right now

  5.  

    12MP is crap by today's standard for still photo ......

     

    Don't give in on the Megapixel count that the industry use to confuse users. Sony A7S has 12MP as well, is it s crap camera? Go and check it out. On the other hand, many Point and shoot has 20 Mp but their sensor size is smaller etc. Unless you're printing a poster or billboard, 12MP is good enough, at least it's enough for me.

  6. If it was not for underwater use the LX100 is a winner however I am concerned of the fact we now have a port system with adapters

    Ideally the dome port is fit for all purpose medium fish but the rectangular port is too narrow unless you go to Lembeh

    The short wide port is good only for whale sharks or similar

    Am really puzzled if I should bite the bullet and get the GH4 instead as there are promotions right now

     

    Personally, I use the GH4 for on land use because the touch screen is great. And you can rent the NA-GH4 and give it a try like I did. After renting the housing, I realize I'm not ready for big investment like this, mainly because the Shogun is too big and too expensive. Besides, the 4K is only 30 fps at the moment, in two years there should be high frame rate 4K camera out so I should be ready for big interchangable lens system investment. For now I will just focus on composition, artistry and dive experience instead of get too caught up by the advance feature of the camera set up.

  7. I was thinking the GH4 makes a decent still camera too for underwater use. The LX100 does not due to lens issues.

    So you spend more for the housing but you find yourself with something you can use

    With the LX100 I think other than 4K video and land use there is no use for underwater stills, my RX100 Mark II beats it as it takes more wet lenses options

  8. Personally I don't take still that seriously, I have seen people use Lightroom and turn a completely dark still picture into a colorful photo because of RAW file. I have decided video is my primary feature to focus on, and it tell story/behavior better.

  9. I do both. I shoot a nikon D7100 on land and have a set of zoom and tele lenses. However i would not house it I tested it last year and it was a monster. The GH4 seems excellent in video and decent for stills so with a decent investment you have the whole set of things. The LX100 is a bulky camera and would not take it compared to my RX100 to a party or similar. I am just concerned that other than 4K I would do nothing with it

  10. I have been looking at the details and I have some concerns that the acrylic mini dome 3.5" may be a bit small for the camera to focus at tele end and a diopter may be required to improve matters. I think the LX100 has got a filter thread so in theory that is possible. I think around +2 should be needed unless the port is a cut of a 6" dome which is also possible but corner softness will be an issue if you think of using the camera at wide apertures

    I am increasingly starting to think that this camera and lens is just to complicated to house properly and I do not see the point of using it without zoom also the lens is too short to work properly for good macro

    mmm

  11.  

    I do not see the point of using it without zoom

     

    That was my initial concern too. But to be honest, I'm beginning to get over it. Many DSLR users just put in a WA lens and dome, and use that combo for the entire dive, especially those who uses only Panasonic 8mm lens. So it's acceptable. The LX100 probably won't be as flexible as the normal point and shoot, but in the sense it could require the mindset of dslr shooter, like using the correct port for the desire dive. It doesn't carry the price tag of dSLR setup, especially the need of gear. So it really need some decision making before jumping into the water.

  12. My concern is possible poor quality with the minidome. I think the other two options will be limited but working

    The dome option with 26-81mm focal range is the best option for video it is important that optical quality is good or it is all a waste

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.