Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 73Posts
  • 73Replies

Read-only discussion

Move over Sony RX100 (I, II, III), Here come Panasonic LX-100

73 posts
  1. I for one hope this gets a proper housing. I'd rather it be without room for the flash. I just need to be able to connect to the hot shoe so I can manually control my strobes. The last thing I want is to wait for a on camera flash to recharge. TTL circuitry would be great, but not necessary.

  2. GOOD NEWS!

     

    I emailed Nauticam today, asking if/when they will make a housing for the LX-100. They responded with: "Yes, we will make support for the housing. And please keep track on our website where we shall announce the housing very soon. Please do not hesitate to let us know should you have any further questions."

  3. True!
    Alex Tattersall from Nauticam UK confirmed also the production of a Nauticam LX100 housing!
    I just placed the order for my LX100 camera to get used with it while waiting impatiently the housing.

    I ordered also the RAYNOX DCR-250 Macro Converter at it's 43mm trad should mount directly on the LX100 mainly for land use

    filming small bugs in Costa Rica. If the additional lens should fit inside a Nauticam flat dome for the housing, well that would be perfect,

    if not i am sure that Nauticam will produce a useful macro wetlens holder ...

    Chris

  4. All nauricam compact housing have a 67mm thread close up lenses will be available viewer with only 75mm zoom it remains to be seen what level of magnification is possible before crashing into the subject

  5. Friend of mine texted photos from DEMA of the Nauticam housing.

     

    Uses uses the strobe included with the camera.

     

    She said it's a little bigger than her EM5 housing and has a lot of dials on it.

  6. That's good to know. So I think it's safe to assume that the price is around $1500?

  7. 1100$ my friend sed, retail

    That would be 1100$, my friend said, retail.

  8. Interesting the port system and a nauticam own wide angle lens

  9. If it's announce in DEMA, why there is no news on their website? Hmm.......

  10. The housing will be released early 2015. I think that there are several challenges with the port system due to the large sensor and aperture lens. At dema there were few prototype ports that looked quite different to what you would normally expect for a compact

  11. What was shown at DEMA was a prototype housing and photos can be found in the Wetpixel DEMA review on the front page. The housing is smaller than an E-M5 housing, not larger. The housing also has the vacuum wiring and valve mounting point. A small dome can restore the original AOV of the lens lost behind the flat port. Also a flat port with 67mm threads for mounting the (also prototype) wide angle (110 degree) optical glass accessory lens. Popup strobe for fiber optic flash firing.

     

    The ports, unlike most compact housings are interchangeable to optimize the cameras zoom lens for both stills and video.

     

    Also shown was a prototype CMC-1 C/U lens. Designed for small sensors like M43 and compact cameras the CMC-1 has power about the same a SMC-1 and smaller and lighter.

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  12. Thanks Phil, had to go to the Day part of the DEMA article to see the info. Seems like the the LX100 will get the interchangable lens system of multiple port for different uses. If that's the case I probably stick with the GH4. But I think I will pull the plug once the LX100 housing detail release with all the features confirm.

  13. I am a bit confused by that elliptical flat port. I would hope for a flip diopter adapter to go on the dome as it does for the 4" wide angle port instead. The M67 port must be limiting the zoom I guess so not a wet lens in true sense. Will have to wait and see

  14. Hey Moses, come on down this weekend and you can take the LX100 for a dive...

  15. Hey Ryan,

    come afterwards down to Costa Rica and bring me the housing, the camera is already here!

    :-)

    p.s. Yes i will buy it.

  16. Thanks Ryan, I will be down in West Palm between Dec 9-14. I'm actually renting the GH4 housing from your shop. So hopefully I can check out the LX100 housing and compare them side by side.

  17. Hey Moses, come on down this weekend and you can take the LX100 for a dive...

    Ryan do you know more about the ports and if the mini dome can fit the flip diopter?

    Does nauticam offer a close up lens for that strange flat port?

  18. The flat port already sounds like a winner for macro already as it sports a 3cm focus distance at 24mm. With the wide angle add-on (if it works well) you can have a huge range! For super macro the CMC and voilà a super compact high quality machine with high flash sync...

    What was shown at DEMA was a prototype housing and photos can be found in the Wetpixel DEMA review on the front page. The housing is smaller than an E-M5 housing, not larger. The housing also has the vacuum wiring and valve mounting point. A small dome can restore the original AOV of the lens lost behind the flat port. Also a flat port with 67mm threads for mounting the (also prototype) wide angle (110 degree) optical glass accessory lens. Popup strobe for fiber optic flash firing.

  19. Stopped by Reef Photos today to pick up my GH4 rental housing. Had the chance to look at the LX100 housing. They only have the "all around" port attached to the housing. The size is not much bigger than the LX-7 housing. There are two port systems: "all around" and "flat port". The all around port lets user use the whole focal length of the camera. The "flat port" is shorter and has 67mm thread, and is say to work with a WA lens that Nauticam is developing and Inon UWL-H100 WA lens (UWL-H100+dome is being review/test). My guess is the "flat port" doesn't let you use the tele part of the focal length the camera has to offer. There is a feature on the housing that let you set the "focal length lock", to prevent you from going past certain focal length. I think using macro diopter on the flat port has limitation. The camera only reach 75mm, and if it's being limited further because of the short flat port, then macro feature would be limited.

     

    The housing allows add on of vacuum valve like Phil mentioned. The smaller version of the SMC is developed for Point & Shoot camera. The housing should be available early 2015 (early to mid Jan). Price around $1200, and comes with both ports. So the vacuum valve should cost extra.

  20. By all around you mean the dome and by flat port the m67 or the rectangular flat port?

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.