Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic LX-100 Nauticam housing

Started by kc_moses ·

  • 130Posts
  • 130Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic LX-100 Nauticam housing

130 posts
  1. Nudibranco, I couldn't find 67mm version of FIT +8, I can only find 46mm version in Taiwan and UK, no other place sells it. Do you have a URL?

  2. Panasonix LX100 in Nauticam housing and square zoom port

     

    A quick dive in my pool just before sunset and using my new Fix Neos 2500 video light as light source i discovered that:
    a) at 10.9 (24) mm and no diopter there is a rather bad CA

    b) at 34 (75) mm and using the SubSee +10 Diopter on the Nauticam Flipmount there is virtually no CA

    c) there is a slight vignette in the lower corners using the SubSee +10 diopter

    d) at 10.9 (24) mm and minimum focusing distance image is 3.25 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

    f) at 34 (75) mm and the SubSee + 10 diopter picture is 2 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

    g) the whole rig seems to work flawless

    h) the Fix Neos 2500DX is a real winner and illuminate the whole field of view

    Chris

     

     

    10.9(24)mm f/16 1/640 sec

    LX100At10point9mm.jpg

     

     

    34(75)mm + SubSee + 10 diopter on Nauticam flip holder

    34(75)mm f/16 1/1000 sec

     

    LX100At34mmSubseePlus10.jpg

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  3. Thanks Chris, so the Subsee +10 allow you to shoot subject around 4.5 cm. Good to know there is very little CA on the Subsee +10. I might consider getting the Subsee +10, for now my +5 and +7 stack together is almost the same as Subsee +10, hmm......

     

    I just receive the short flat port. Will try to do a quick overview during this weekend.

    Edited by kc_moses
  4. I had to choose between the Subsee +10 and the Saga +10 and Kevin from Reef said that the quality is equal,
    but the Saga +10 is considerable shorter and lighter but 40$ more expensive and not stackable.

    As soon i have time to go alone diving to take pictures i will try the Subsee in the sea to get real world macro results.

    I have already the flat 67mm treaded port and fortunately i have a old UWL100 here to screw on to try this combination.

    If i make in time i may give it a try tomorrow (again) in the pool after i finish to conduct some classes.

    Friday i should go to scan for a new wreck here and if we find it i will dive it with my new LX100 rig.

     

    Chris

  5. Good to know Kevin suggest the Subsee +10 over the Saga. Just curious, did you consider the SMC? I just found out about the SMC Multiplier, it looks like you take subject that's a lot smaller. The Subsee +10 would be a mid range lens for me, ideally I want something that can take 1cm subject.

     

    Is the Subsee+10 as difficult to use as people complaint?

  6. Moses,

    Kevin said that they have a equal perfomance not that the Subsee is better.

    Yes i considered the SMC, but the price of 200+$ more stopped me ...
    In this moment i believe that the optical performance of the SubSee +10 is good enough for my use,

    if i should go deeper in macro and super macro i may pull the trigger after a extensive test in the sea.

     

    The SubSee +10 was not difficult to use in my pool shooting coins but i guess i will say some bad words when i start to
    use this lens her under current and especially the always present surge conditions.

    The distance between too near and too far is not very long and this may mace focusing difficult with surge or current.

    A good placed and tracking focus and the use of focus peeking may help to get the focus point on the right and desired point.

     

    Chris

  7. On comment a chromatic aberration at 24mm you probably have a mix of ca and pincushion distortion. A flat port with such wide lens is always a problem. For what concerns your subsee shots the magnification seems little. Should be able to do better than that. Did you use the macro focus as that will make a difference of another diopter

  8. I had to choose between the Subsee +10 and the Saga +10 and Kevin from Reef said that the quality is equal,

    but the Saga +10 is considerable shorter and lighter but 40$ more expensive and not stackable.

    Hi

     

    I agree, the quality of both lens is the same. I prefer the SAGA lens because is smaller and lighter. I don't know about prices where you are based, but normally the price for Saga lens in Europe is lower than Subsee (Saga +10 is 195€).

    Also you can stack 2 lenses with this accesory http://www.sagadive.com/product_info.php?cPath=47_205&products_id=921&language=en

     

    Now i'm using the +15 diopter lens. Is a little bit more powerfull than SMC and lighter than the subsee +10.

     

    Cheers

  9. My LX100 can only focus with AF-Macro behind the 3.5" dome port( #38702), is this mentioned in its user guide?

  10. My LX100 can only focus with AF-Macro behind the 3.5" dome port( #38702), is this mentioned in its user guide?

    Am not surprised if the glass is really a slice of 3.5" minimum focus distance is 18cm so if you want to use the full zoom you need a +2 diopter

    Probably you will get around 40/50 before it stops focussing

  11. Am not surprised if the glass is really a slice of 3.5" minimum focus distance is 18cm so if you want to use the full zoom you need a +2 diopter

    Probably you will get around 40/50 before it stops focussing

    I meant my LX100 could not focus even at 24mm underwater.

  12. I meant my LX100 could not focus even at 24mm underwater.

     

    That doesn't sound right, you can't focus on all three AF, AF-Macro and Manual (using peaking)? How far are you from the subject?

  13. Sometimes those domes on compacts require macro to be on. It's not unusual

  14.  

    That doesn't sound right, you can't focus on all three AF, AF-Macro and Manual (using peaking)? How far are you from the subject?

    It could not focus with AF, it was fine with AF-Macro, I wonder if there is any "side-effect" of using AF-Macro, such as cannot focus to infinity...

    The subjects were around 60cm from the camera.

    Edited by kkfok
  15. Not sure if it's usual for Nauticam, my short flat port doesn't come with a manual, so I guess your dome port doesn't come with a manual either. You would think they should have information about "not to zoom and lock the level" when using the short port, and what to do with the dome port. Things like that could help some of us who're not familiar with the system.

     

    My NA-LX100 doesn't have a printed manual in the box either since I got it before the press release. Good thing they put the PDF version online very quickly before I do more damage to the housing. Prior to reading the manual, I didn't know you have to turn the dials to F16, AF, 4:3, lift the On/Off tab, and pull the manual focus knob out..... quite a lot of steps to go through before putting the camera in, and do the same when taking the camera out.

  16. Yes, my LX100 was stuck in the housing just because I forgot to turn the aperture back to F16 (or 4:3?....I forgot) before taking it out, spent more than 10 minutes to take it out finally.

  17. It could not focus with AF, it was fine with AF-Macro, I wonder if there is any "side-effect" of using AF-Macro, such as cannot focus to infinity...

    The subjects were around 60cm from the camera.

    I think infinity is 4x the radius of the glass dome so less than 20cm I would not worry

  18. Panasonix LX100 in Nauticam housing and square zoom port

     

    A quick dive in my pool just before sunset and using my new Fix Neos 2500 video light as light source i discovered that:

    a) at 10.9 (24) mm and no diopter there is a rather bad CA

    b) at 34 (75) mm and using the SubSee +10 Diopter on the Nauticam Flipmount there is virtually no CA

    c) there is a slight vignette in the lower corners using the SubSee +10 diopter

    d) at 10.9 (24) mm and minimum focusing distance image is 3.25 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

    f) at 34 (75) mm and the SubSee + 10 diopter picture is 2 inch wide @ 3:2 image factor

    g) the whole rig seems to work flawless

    h) the Fix Neos 2500DX is a real winner and illuminate the whole field of view

    Chris

     

    Chris, great test! did you try at 75mm without the Sub see?

  19. Nudibranco, I couldn't find 67mm version of FIT +8, I can only find 46mm version in Taiwan and UK, no other place sells it. Do you have a URL?

    it is not under FIT UCL-02 but IDAS UCL-02 which for some reason it's the same ucs-02

     

    http://www.uw-fotopartner.com/Housing-Accessories/Lenses/Macro-Lenses/UCL-02-Makrolinse-M67-8-dpt/125mm for €135

     

    http://www.uw-fotopartner.com/media/pdf/dokumentationmakrotest-3989167-pdf.pdf

     

     

    but that works fine with a strong lens like the 60mm (120mm) macro. I cannot really use a stronger one without getting a tripod or cramps!

     

    For the lx100 which is 75mm I would consider a stronger one at least the subsee +10

    Edited by nudibranco
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.