Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Panasonic GX8

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 70Posts
  • 70Replies

Read-only discussion

New Panasonic GX8

70 posts
  1. Cheers

  2. When it comes to 4K the 3 Panasonic mirrorless GH4, G7 and GX8 are pretty similar looking at sample footage.

    The G7 does not have external connectivity the other two do, with the new GH4R there will be a professional v-log option so the 3 cameras are clearly set in the various boxes:

    G7: entry level 4K for people that use footage as it

    GX8: almost professional option with HDMI output

    GH4R: professional option with v-log and HDMI output

     

    The GH5 will most likely feature the hybrid os in 1080p that currently is only on the GX8

     

    If you don't grade your footage the G7 should be ok. The G7 does have a few buttons more than the OMD-EM10 and is bigger I bet the housing price will be somewhere between the EM10 and the EM5 without handles

     

    4k from the GX8 is less than convincing. We need full sensor readout like in the RX100 mk4.

  3.  

    4k from the GX8 is less than convincing. We need full sensor readout like in the RX100 mk4.

    The RX100 Mark IV has higher resolution than the GH4 actually and of the LX100 too. The only issue with it is macro where the lens is too short.

    I have the Panasonic GX7 (that is my favourite for still images) and the Sony RX100 Mark IV for 4K video to get in the water soon

  4. See this nice article from reef photo about gx8:

    http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=94

    Though i am not sure if it sells more the gx8 camera or the nauticam's wet lenses system, which seems quite interesting. I'd be curious to know how it compares vs dedicated lenses and ports/domes (in terms of IQ and AF speed)

  5. I received that email too. I have done a comparison of the WWL-1 versus 8mm fisheye and I can draw a comparison with the 7-14mm. The WWL-1 is a semifisheye so it is not truly circular and is not rectilinear it does however focus on the dome. The quality depends on the lens you use behind and the power zoom is not the best lens surely for stills. I opted out the gx8 as the IQ is not far off the GX7 and there are issues with 4K video plus the flash is sold as separate part ultimately making it too complicated. The WWL-1 is very heavy and not really changeable in water. Nauticam are working at a buoyancy collar that should solve that problem too

  6. Would love to see a 7-14mm vs WWL-1 comparison.

     

    If its close, would save a load of luggage and space!

  7. Very interesting. I am wondering how the AF on the GX8 would compare to a top-notch DSLR, say for example the Canon 7D Mii. I am growing increasingly frustrated by the slow AF of my current rig (Canon EOS M) and really want to get whatever is the best AF available.

  8. Would love to see a 7-14mm vs WWL-1 comparison.

     

    If its close, would save a load of luggage and space!

    No space saving compared to the 6" nauticam port and actually the WWL-1 weights more than lens and port
  9. No space saving compared to the 6" nauticam port and actually the WWL-1 weights more than lens and port

     

    I was thinking

    1x WWL

    1x 29mm Port

     

    Vs

    1x 160mm / 170mm Dome

    1x 35mm Port

     

    - And you get flexibility of the dive to remove the WWL and replace with the CMC (and back), where at the moment if you go wide angle you are stuck with it for that dive.

  10. The WWL-1 is really heavy in water and outside and doesn't have a lens holder for float arm. Plus the CMC has a very short focal length to be useful for videos. I think the combination is more useful for still images currently until they release a float collar for the WWL the in water removal is a bit theoretical

  11. Finally dpreview published their article on the GX8

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx8-review/

     

    The image quality and ISO performance for both JPEG and RAW is slightly worse than the GX7

     

    Video resolution at 4K slightly worse than the LX100 and much worse than the Sony RX100 Mark IV

     

    Panasonic what happened here? Other issues include shutter shock et co...

  12. Shutter shock is a Micro Four Thirds problem and effects most Panasonic and Olympus cameras including the GX7 dependant on lens and shutter speed set. Most things are a trade off, M43 users sacrifice some IQ and battery life for compactness and lighter weight (I have M43 and DSLR underwater equipment). I like size and weight of M43 and that you can review pics in the viewfinder but prefer the faster focusing and battery life of my DSLR.

    I think the ultimate underwater camera presently is potentially the Canon 1DX mk2. Full frame, excellent Dual Pixel autofocus for stills and 4K video, good battery life, good lowlight performance, excellent IQ, rugged, widest range of lenses for underwater, the list goes on. However, it's big, heavy and very, very expensive to buy and kit up for underwater.

    It's about choosing the best camera for you and the pictures you want to take. I bought a Panasonic G7 mainly for topside 4K video, 4K photo and Post Focus and 25fps time lapse videos (Olympus only do 10 or 15fps time lapse videos in camera and only 5fps 4K time lapse.) The Olympus IBIS and stills performance are better than the G7 though.

    Have considered the GX8, which the review does say is a good camera but I might wait for the GH5 announcement, possibly September to see if they can do a big leap in technology over the G7/GX8/GH4.

    Edited by Griff
  13. Mmm except the power zoom lens none of my lenses have problems with the GX7 even the 60mm does fine

  14. I hound an on line review of the Panasonic G7 where he tested it with several lenses and many shutter speeds and no shutter shock issues. Wth the GX8 the biggest issues with shutter shock seem to be with the 14-140 zoom.

    Olympus have updated their firmware in the EM5 mk2 and EM1 to include zero second delay and electronic first curtain in certain shutter speeds as shutter shock is caused by the shutter closing before opening to expose the photo. I have not noticed any issues on any of my camera and lens combos.

    Edited by Griff
  15. The WWL-1 is really heavy in water and outside and doesn't have a lens holder for float arm. Plus the CMC has a very short focal length to be useful for videos. I think the combination is more useful for still images currently until they release a float collar for the WWL the in water removal is a bit theoretical

     

     

    It looks like the float collar is out... No pictures found on the US sites, but I did find some pics on a Japanese site. What do you guys think (approx. 0.5kg buoyancy in sea water)?

     

    TB2UFu9mVXXXXcpXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!392266748.

     

     

     

    TB20VwOmVXXXXcxXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!392266748.

  16. Looks good!

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. It does need that lift and I would recommend that to anyone although it may be impossible to remove the lens in water

  18. I've gone for a 3 carbon arms above the WWL instead.

     

    This might compress with depth...?

  19. I've gone for a 3 carbon arms above the WWL instead.

     

    This might compress with depth...?

    Not if it is nautical material like the stix floats. It will be fine down to 40 meters.

     

    Need to see if it can be locked to the lens as otherwise when you remove the lens it flies off

  20. Stix Floats compress at depth, which is why I swapped my original stix floats for carbon arms.

     

    But this looks a more elegant solution than my monster rig.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.