Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New Panasonic GX8

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 70Posts
  • 70Replies

Read-only discussion

New Panasonic GX8

70 posts
  1. I have used stix floats and they compress little at 30 meters. Bit more below and would not take them to 60 meters as they would be damaged

    The ring on the lens is far better than having massive arms and if it sticks to it you can also remove it in water that would be a real plus

    The WWL-1 is a great solution for compact cameras still users and the float ring is a great addition

  2. Uggh, this is so off topic, but I just ran across these images from Fisheye's Facebook page (Posted April 1). I wonder what the final floats will look like, the one I posted earlier in this thread or this one:

     

    12909621_946872252034633_149077305170840

     

    12898408_946872272034631_706655129525071

  3. I prefer those plastic ones you've posted insomniac - I think they would last longer.

     

    Also some sort of buoyancy in the handle?

  4. Edward told me they were working on an aluminium collar. Maybe this is it? Will add to land weight rather go with the foam

  5. Hi,

     

    the GX8 looks to be a great camera.

    In particular it seems it can get out a still from a 4K video . The still I guess is 8Mpixel resolution.

    I think this is a really cool feature.

    Does anyone tried it out underwater?

    Any samples?

    Also does anyone have underwater still picture to show ?

     

    I am looking for a mirrorless camera I am attracted by the sony a6300 but now this Gx8 i attracting...

    Do you have any comment about serious pros and cons to help me deciding ?

     

    Thank you very much

  6. Stills from movies are not very useful as shutter speed is low and lights never strong enough to freeze motion

  7. The 4KPHOTO mode's on the newer Panasonic's run at a minimum of 1/125 shutter speed, so you can extract good sharp stills, however its a bit of a odd situation.

     

    You can't get particularly good stills from the normal movie modes, due to slowish shutter speeds (if you want a filmic look) yet you can't get particularly good video from the 4KPHOTO mode, due to it having a very video look from the high shutter speeds.

  8. Thanks a lot, I know it is a bit unusual question but I found out to be somehow useful technique in some situation.

    I tried with go pro and I ended with a great still but low resolution.

    This is why I was thinking to 4k possibility to capture still in some situation.

    Clearly it is an strange technique.

     

    But this panasonic compare to the sony a6000 or a6300?

     

    Any comment?

  9. Panasonic is more affordable, has a much better lens selection and has image stabilization (the Gx80/85 has stabilization for 4k video). Panasonic also has the edge in handling/features.

    Sony has an advantage in image quality and (much) better autofocus. But it overheats, and you're kinda forced to buy expensive full frame lenses (not for wide angle, for which the sony is probably superior).

    As far as I know 4kphoto is designed for action shots. Underwater you need a strobe to freeze motion, so I don't think 4kphoto will be very useful underwater. Might work using a video light.

    Edited by Diver4fun
  10. I have used the 4K photo mode above water for birds etc and it works well as you can set a fast shutter to freeze the action and effectively shoot at 25 or 30fps. Underwater should be possible as long as you have good video lights. For more static subjects full resolution stills shot with strobes will give better results though.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.