Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

So I won a pretty substantial prize package for a photo contest

Started by ryandavz ·

  • 46Posts
  • 46Replies

Read-only discussion

So I won a pretty substantial prize package for a photo contest

46 posts
  1. I participated in a photo contest on camel cigarettes website and won a package consisting of the below for a pretty substandard picture I took of Machu Picchu due to the fact that their widget required cropping and filters added. Regardless, this is what I got, still sitting in their respective boxes and untouched.

     

    Nikon D810 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body

    AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

    AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED

    Ikelite Underwater Housing with TTL Circuitry for Nikon D810

    Ikelite - DS160 Strobe Kit with Sync Cord + Ball Arm / NiMH

    Ikelite Modular 8" Dome Port with 5.1" Lens Extension Kit

    Lowepro DryZone 200 Camera Backpack (Yellow)

     

    Honestly, I'm too afraid to crack any of it open. I don't have anywhere to take underwater photos in southwest Ohio and a D810 is way beyond my capabilities...

    post-53468-0-69004400-1452813855_thumb.jpg

    post-53468-0-26973800-1452813929_thumb.jpg

    Edited by ryandavz
  2. Curious to see your winning image. I don't see any information about a Camel cigarettes photo contest online?

  3. Congrats!! Even if you do not use the housing the camera and two lenses are top tier so have fun with your prize! Those two lenses are also a bit challenging to use under water since they are difficult to match with a port, which needs to be very large, not sure if 8" will do it.

  4. Curious to see your winning image. I don't see any information about a Camel cigarettes photo contest online?

     

    You'd probably have to log in to see it. It's in the "shoot like a pro" photo gallery under "Assignment 4" Ryan D...

  5. Congratulations! It must be nice to be recognized in a substantial way like that. Even if you decide not to use the equipment and sell it at a good price, you'll still come out way ahead.

  6. D810 is actually very easy to use, IMO. I love mine. Don't be afraid of it, just go buy some bigger hard drives -- the raw files are ~75mb each!

     

    Congrats on a killer prize!

  7. I hate to be "that guy" and I generally give the benefit of doubt, but this has my spidey senses tingling. The OP joined, posted this, then immediately put everything up for sale. Those are his only posts. The photos are surprisingly crappy for an "award winning" photographer. There is no info about the alleged contest that I can find through a search. I hope this cynicism is unfounded . . .

  8. I hate to be "that guy" and I generally give the benefit of doubt, but this has my spidey senses tingling. The OP joined, posted this, then immediately put everything up for sale. Those are his only posts. The photos are surprisingly crappy for an "award winning" photographer. There is no info about the alleged contest that I can find through a search. I hope this cynicism is unfounded . . .

     

    Well, to post to the classifieds I had to make a post. Why did I pick this forum? Because I have underwater gear to unload, what better place? I know, pretty shallow right? This equipment is better suited for a professional and for someone that lives in the midwest and doesn't scuba dive nor do I spend a lot of time taking pictures I have no need for it as much as I'd love to play with it I don't intend to diminish the value either... No disrespect, I won $10k worth of gear with a picture I took with an iphone, not worthy... Well here's the backstory

     

    camel.com "Shoot Like a Pro" "Assignment 4" You may have to log in to see the gallery, there you will see my substandard picture of Machu Picchu that made me a finalist. 9 other people won this prize with the grand prize being a $30k trip to Iceland that 2 of the finalists will get on top of this prize. The widget their website used required a crop and color filter for the submittal. The finalist judging had to be somewhat random, I certainly wouldn't have picked mine of the 50k+ submitted. If you would like to see the crappy photo without logging into camel's website here it is: https://09c8f57508007f1160dc-b3da36377d44f226da14e383ba08e5c3.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/cb78b4d9-2828-4dc5-b4cf-9b3ee7a1aaa2-11-5-2015-2021215.jpg That is the direct link to the image from the gallery on camel's site.

     

    and here it was before I cropped it: X2IrvL4.jpg

     

    As a hobbyist that is more focussed on other artistic endeavours (music, painting), a dad, a 50 hour a week man I really believe this gear would be better suited in a pro or semi-pro's hands. That and the tax bill is around $3k...

     

    So there's the story... Believe it or not. It is what it is. I won a prize that was likely picked at random to some extent. I've got a bunch of stuff that I would love to play with but would be wasted in my hands. I'm having trouble finding buyers for the underwater gear and here I am...

    Edited by ryandavz
  9. I am exceptionally skeptical. This is a sweepstakes type contest and no previous prizes are in this category.

    Weird.

    Bill

  10. I am exceptionally skeptical. This is a sweepstakes type contest and no previous prizes are in this category.

    Weird.

    Bill

     

    I found the google cache of the page: it's entry period 4 for which I was a finalist. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:r7DYV4TGzEEJ:https://prod.camel.com/promotions/infocus/officialrules_IFC.aspx+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

     

    "Entry Period #4 “Naturalist” Prize Pack (10): The “Naturalist” Prize Pack consists of one (1) of each of the following items: Nikon D810 DSLR Camera; Nikon 14-24mm Lens; Nikon 24-70mm Lens; Ikelite Underwater Housing; Ikelite Modular 8" Dome Port with 5.1" Lens Extension Kit; Ikelite Strobe Kit; and Lowepro DryZone 200 Backpack. ARV: $10,690.00 each."

     

    Currently if you go to camel's website it lists winners up to entry period 3. If you would like me to post scans of the affidavits and email correspondence with the agency that ran the sweepstakes I will. I'm not here to BS anyone...

  11. OK, good on you. I'm glad my cynicism was unfounded, and unworthy of the aspersions implied.

     

    That's a pretty impressive prize list for an obscure contest! Also kinda weird, to bundle an UW setup (which is already a niche pursuit) with lenses and a dome that aren't really the right combination. Who knows, maybe the sponsors had a point to make. Anyway, you might contact a couple of the big UW retailers like Reef Photo or Bluewater Photo to see if they can help you out with a consignment or trade.

    Edited by troporobo
  12. OK, good on you. I'm glad my cynicism was unfounded, and unworthy of the aspersions implied.

     

    That's a pretty impressive prize list for an obscure contest! Also kinda weird, to bundle an UW setup (which is already a niche pursuit) with lenses and a dome that aren't really the right combination. Who knows, maybe the sponsors had a point to make. Anyway, you might contact a couple of the big UW retailers like Reef Photo or Bluewater Photo to see if they can help you out with a consignment or trade.

     

    Thanks for the advise. I am leaning toward keeping the Nikon gear and posting only the underwater stuff again in a few weeks at half price. $1500 for the housing, dome, and strobe may be more tantalizing for someone out there. That 12-24 lense is just screaming "open me"

  13. I also am a finalist for capture movement period 6. How long did it take you to receive your prize package? I have looked everywhere online trying to find out. As you can see the suspense is killing me. Sorry to bug you but any information would be greatly appreciated congratulations on your win thanks again

  14. I also am a finalist for capture movement period 6. How long did it take you to receive your prize package? I have looked everywhere online trying to find out. As you can see the suspense is killing me. Sorry to bug you but any information would be greatly appreciated congratulations on your win thanks again

     

    Hey Moestoes,

     

    It took about a month from when I did the affidavit. I think they had a bit of a delay over the holidays. I'm still waiting to see who they chose as the grand prize winner from my period! Hopefully me!

     

    Thanks,

    Ryan

  15. I wouldn't think it would be to much longer since I was in the last batch. Well I will root for you!! Maybe you could do the same for me? Good luck! Thank you for the info. Congrats again!

  16. You said it took about a month to receive prizes. Did they notify you that your prizes were being sent before you received them? I'm one of the ten in a later period.

  17. You said it took about a month to receive prizes. Did they notify you that your prizes were being sent before you received them? I'm one of the ten in a later period.

    No notification. UPS came and left a note on my door. Had to take a day off to receive it. Which package did you win?

  18. #5

  19. I supposedly won this same bundle.. faxed my affidavit over the 15th of December and still waiting on my camera package... did they send you an email with tracking info? I don't remember seeing your pic among my group.. weird.. did they change their minds about who won??

  20. I supposedly won this same bundle.. faxed my affidavit over the 15th of December and still waiting on my camera package... did they send you an email with tracking info? I don't remember seeing your pic among my group.. weird.. did they change their minds about who won??

     

    Their website has changed since the whole contest ended. My picture was the second one when they used to have assignment 4 up on the site. I recommend calling Susan at young america to inquire about it. I asked her if they've chosen the grand prize winners and she said they haven't yet for #4.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.