On 6/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, joncroweucl said:
So there were no Nauticam dealers in my local region that stocked the 41.5mm port adaptor. I've gone ahead and ordered the 34.7mm adaptor and have managed to obtain the 3d printed extension for the zoom ring. Thanks for the design, Wolfgang.
To summarise; I'll be testing the Canon 8-15 FE with Viltrox EF-M1 Smart Adaptor on Panasonic GH5 in NA-GHV housing, 34.7mm N85-N120 port adaptor and Zen DP-100-N120CR minidome. If all the kit fits my initial tests will be limited to my bathtub.
I've not done and lens-dome testing before; I plan on making CFWA test shots with small SCUBA kit (15m reel, torch, boltsnaps etc.) with vivarium foliage stock to the walls of the tub to assess DOF and corner sharpness at different apertures.
Community; are there any specific assessments you'd be interested in seeing?
See below a limited summary of the equipment setup and and test results. This summary is not designed to be a comparison to other setups for the Canon 8-15 on m43, simply an investigation into the feasibility of this specific equipment setup.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193329934@N02/albums/72157719526251695/with/51278536908/
The equipment fits comfortably. The extension built into the Zen DP-100-N120CR minidome removes the requirement to use a N120 extension ring.
IMG_20210627_102210 by Jonathan Crowe, on Flickr
My experience is that the operation of using the knob on the port adaptor to adjust the zoom on the 8-15 was a bit stiff and clunky. @Interceptor121 and @Architeuthis, did you experience the same? I'm wondering if the dimensions of the zoom ring adaptor I had printed are a bit off and I'm experience sub-optimal performance.
With no extension ring, the positioning of the lens front element is 5mm closer to the glass dome that is determined to be optimal by Zen and Nauticam. This is because the 1x adaptor is 5mm deeper than the Metabones Speed Booster Ultra 0.71x Lens Adaptor that the Nauticam N85-N120 34.7mm Port Adaptor is designed for.
IMG_20210627_101826 by Jonathan Crowe, on Flickr
It is difficult to determine the impact on image quality and field of view, with this deviation from optimal entry pupil positioning, in the absence of comparison images captured using the 30mm N120 extension ring and N120 140mm dome.
With a recent opportunity to dive on the North Norfolk cost eliminated by poor weather and diving conditions, I resorted to the controlled photography environment of my kitchen sink.
IMG_20210627_163003 by Jonathan Crowe, on Flickr
The subject was a small spool with line positioned on a small ceramic bowl. The base of bowl was touching the dome shade. This was to simulate golf ball sized subject with interesting skin texture and facial features on a rocky outcrop. The bath mat has a very subtle rough texture and was positioned so the printed images were close to the corners of the frame.
I think the image quality is excellent. The depth of field necessary to resolve the texture on the bath mat is achieved at f8 and corner sharpness is not improved by stopping down any further than f11.
P1111054 by Jonathan Crowe, on Flickr
More images at different apertures are available at the Flickr link at the top of this post. I saw no point in testing the lens at 15mm in the sink as I could not position any suitably sized subjects and a reasonable distance from the port.
I'm happy with this setup as it delivers very good image quality and accomplishes my goal of fitting all my equipment in a IATA compliant carry on rucksack. This would have been very difficult/impossible if an extension ring and 140mm dome were substituted.
If I ever get a free house in the future I plan on testing the zoom range and IQ of the Canon 8-15 FE and the Panasonic 14-42ii behind the AOI-UWL-09 wet lens in the bathtub with subjects at different distances. There is very little analysis of the AOI wide wet lens on WetPixel, so I plan to make a contribution. I'll be diving off of the Farne islands in September 2021 so my objective is to have a better understanding of the capabilities and limitations of both lens setups before I go and deploy them in the real world!
I'm happy to receive any thoughts, feedback or suggestions for further testing.