[DISCLAIMER: This post is made as a contribution to the discussion and should, under no circumstances, be perceived as a direct attack on anyone, dead or alive, who engages in active u/w TTL photography.
Sworn before an officer of oath under the authority of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of England, of the Dominion of Canada and, more importantly: Queen of the Cayman Islands and Australia!]
Hi,
my name is Michel and I have been off TTL since 1974…. Mind you it was not hard then!
Topside, TTL is the greatest tool and Nikon has mastered the art of TTL flash fill (in its film cameras at least). Underwater though, TTL has been a mixed blessing and, even though I realized that on some occasions I could have used it to achieve better results, I never did simply because I felt manual gave me better control… at the expense of some missed shots.
My wife/partner Danielle would never try u/w photography unless she had a TTL system. Eventually she bought a Nik V and suitable TTL strobe. Her first rolls were mostly BADLY exposed! I then asked her if she could read a little cue card with 10 numbers on it. (exposure for 1' to 5' in 1-foot increments?) She agreed to try it and… BINGO, exposure was MUCH better!
Those were slide days when film latitude was measured in neutrinos…
Then came digital RAW. Our tests and experience so far have taught us that, for example, with 2 SS200 (place Ikelite logo here) at 1/2 power, an exposure of f/16 on a D100 (stick Nikon logo here) would lend acceptable/salvageable results from 1 to 3 feet… talk about latitude.
No need to talk about the so-so performance of D, i, X, Y or Z-TTL underwater.
So what is the conclusion: Go in a pool, make exposure-bracketed shots at various distances (we favour 1:1 working distance and then 1' to 5' in 1-foot increments). Then analyze your results and write down an exposure table. (We print them on a laser printer, laminate the small piece of paper and affix it to the housing with Velcro (Velcro logo here). Works wonders.
Add to this the instant feedback from the LCD screen and you can have both control over your lighting and good exposure.
Mike Haber (yes the one who works with Steve and teaches the famous Jim Church courses) was talking to me at the last Beneath the Sea show and he told me that one of the things he had to teach his students (as I do with mine) is that: A) It is not that complicated to take properly exposed underwater pictures; and B) that giving up TTL does not mean that you will run out of air faster or that your images will all be badly exposed!
One final anecdote: I was giving a workshop and explaining my very simple and effective manual exposure system. A student insisted on the fact that TTL delivered good results and that one could use compensation to tweak exposure when the lighting was tricky. He was so adamant that, at one point, I had to take out of my briefcase a pile of at least 8 pages where someone had posted, on an u/w photo mailing list, the various compensations he was using depending on the conditions. I then asked the student if he would rather carry those 8 pages or my 2"X3" laminated exposure table during a dive… That was the end of the discussion.
My $ 0.02 (Canadian)
Michel