Hello WetPixelites,
I have looked at the responses to my pro-TTL discussion the other day and it is clear that at least some people are not fully understanding the technique and its applicability. So I’ll try again. Mike Veitch in particular makes the statement that dialing in several different levels of compensation is the “slow route†compared with just changing the aperture setting as the guide number dictates you must do as the flash to subject distance changes.
In the case of a flash-only exposed picture, Mike is correct that changing the aperture alone is all that needs to be done to get the right exposure using manual guide number exposure. This assumes that you are able to accurately guestimate the distance between subject and flash. And that you know in your head the changes that must be made to the aperture for each distance so that you don’t have to keep looking at a written table to know which aperture you need. If you have to take your eye from the viewfinder to re-estimate the distance this takes time. If you have to look at a table this eats up time. If you have to move your eye from the subject to the aperture readout in the viewfinder, ever this takes a little time. And in all three cases you have lost “sight†of your subject in the viewfinder and you have to re-establish your framing and composition after you make the aperture change.
Using TTL for flash-only pictures you set one setting, based on the subject rendition you want, on the compensation control (based on experience), and this doesn’t change if the distance between flash and subject changes, nor is it likely to change much if your composition or framing changes 10~20% with different angles. If you want to bracket the shot so you have several exposures to choose from you can do so in several ways. The first is that you can reset the compensation control to another amount. With some housings this can take time. A second alternative is to use the auto-bracket function many cameras have today. If you shoot your flash-only shots in manual exposure mode you make a setting like 1/125 and F22. And in this case the auto-bracket on most cameras will affect neither the aperture nor the shutter speed. But it will change the output of a TTL strobe. Thus you can make two consecutive shots at two different flash outputs, which you predetermine, as fast as your strobe recycles. In very many when I anticipate a lot of macro shooting I preset the bracketing for a .3 f-stop variation such as 0.0 and –0.3. And then set the initial compensation to the exposure I think is most likely to be correct. And then am able to keep my eye on the subject (for focus and composition) in the viewfinder the whole time I am shooting that subject unless I get the underexposure warning signal in which case I have to open the aperture a bit.
With a fill flash situation, the mechanics favor TTL far more.
In the case of Mike’s guide number based manual exposure, he still has to change the aperture to keep the exposure the same (correct) as the flash-to-subject distance changes. But additionally, if he wants to keep the water color or background, whose exposure is primarily determined by ambient light, the same in each shot, he must also change the shutter speed appropriately. For example if his meter tells him the blue water color and reef background he wants requires 1/125 at F5.6 (and f5.6 is also the aperture he needs at his initial flash-to-subject distance), then if the subject moves closer enough to require an aperture change to f8 to avoid frying, the when he changes the aperture to f8 he will also have to change the shutter speed to 1/60. This requires two camera control changes, which takes even more time, and more loss of contact with the subject. And it also introduces the potential of more subject blur due to motion at the slower shutter speed. Alternatively Mike could change his manual flash output to half of the original flash, which has the advantage of at least keeping the ambient light exposure component of the shot the same. But has the advantage of his having to turn the camera-flash combo into a position where he can read and reset the manual output of the flash. This takes even more time ( and more loss of subject concentration in the viewfinder) and requires making additional movements which can disturb the subject more.
The TTL alternative. With the compensation at 0.0 I take an ambient light reading and set that shutter speed and aperture combination. (Let’s assume it’s the same 1/125 at f5.6. Since I’m shooting ambient light plus fill I widen my flash brackets because the flash is providing only a part of the total light and its changes must be greater to make a significant difference in the total exposure. So I generally set the auto-brackets for a full stop difference or 0.0 and –1.0. I then set the normal compensation to about –1.7 or –2.0 and then move in on the subject to focus and frame it. At this point the camera exposure-wise is virtually on auto-pilot. The TTL compensates for moderate changes in distance, subject reflectivity, and even composition, so my eye stays on the subject in the viewfinder for one pair of shots after another until I’m finished or the basic parameters of the picture change significantly. It also makes and effort to compensate if a big shiny fish turns at just the wrong angle and becomes a mirror or a shark turns its white belly towards you.
This method works extremely well with most post-F4 Nikons (F90x, F100, F5 (and probably F6) And if you modify your compensation control so that it can be “locked†to on position, you can make all of the compensation changes by simply rolling your thumb along the main input control dial which is usually on the back of the housing. This replaces the frame count with the exact amount of compensation set, and you can still fire the camera with this button “locked†to display the compensation, which is something I don’t believe you can do with Canon. What you cannot do with the compensation button depressed is change the aperture or shutter speed. And this is why it needs to be easy to lock and unlock this control. I first started using this technique with an F90x in a Nexus housing. I remade (with a machine shop guy’s help) the arm of the compensation control so that I could change it on or off with my hand on the handgrip. And added a large thin plexiglass knurled wheel onto the housings main input control dial so it also could be changed with my hand still on the housing handgrip.
When I ordered my three F5 housings from Seacam, the main input control was already very reachable from the handgrips and I simply asked Harald to put a much longer lever on the compensation control and remove the spring that “recenters†it. Harald did a great job on it and I can turn on and “lock†the compensation control with a flick of my left forefinger, and turn it off for frame count.
This is why I feel underwater TTL strobes endow my film cameras with capabilities I am unwilling to give up to get digital imaging. And why I will wait for a good I-TTL from someone like Hartenberger in Germany to go totally digital. However I do feel there are situations where digital capture will provide me with advantages. These include shooting large marine mammals with ambient light only and many over/under shot situations where seeing the exact balance between the ambient light topside component and the underwater flash exposure would be very helpful.
Like Alex Mustard said in his paraphrased quote, “Digital Photographers are like cod, needing a million tries for one success.†The digital philosophy seems to be shoot, shoot, shoot and then keep the few good shots out of the thousands. And which still may require a lot of extra time on the computer in Photoshop to make them really right.
I prefer a philosophy of watch, learn (what the subject does and why), and then shoot carefully. I often do a dive without finishing the whole roll of 37 shots, even on dives up to two hours. Despite having had five underwater stories in National Geographic (manatees, giant octopus, giant cuttlefish, crinoids, and frogfish), all of which were done on my own initiative and at my own expense (an on an average of about 100 rolls of film or less each), I rarely shoot over 300 rolls of film a year.
In most cases I would much rather have a second housing with a different lens on the dive. And have (only) 37 more TTL shots, than have one digital housing with 200 or even 400 non-TTL shots. I use a sync cable system that utilizes a very nice five pin wet connector made by Impulse in San Diego which allows me to change a pair of strobes from one housing to another during a dive. I love being in the water to watch and learn about the animals and photography is simply my ticket to get there. I would much rather spend extra hours in the water than in front of a computer fixing pictures that it would be much better to shoot really right to start with. And TTL is a great tool for shooting right.
divegypsy