I've always had great luck with TTL, for everything from semi-WA, a 20 mm lens on an n90s in an ike housing and dome, to macro. I've had equally good luck using canon G2 and ike's optical slave TTL unit and DS-50 strobes.
So often, I find myself slowly moving, tracking or paralleling a subject, say some wrasse that is CONSTANTLY on the move. I'm trying to pretend I'm ignoring it, so it will learn I'm not after it, and let me get some fraction closer. Suddenly, it turns right towards me, from 6 feet away, and suddenly is in my focus spot, from 18 inches, when I never expected to get closer than 3 feet. Seems to me, TTL is the ONLY way to get that shot...
I've found that I almost always want to dial in some reduction in the flash exposure compensation, but it seems to be really easy to see when a scene will fool it, and by how much, and dial accordingly. I think I easily have a 90+% first shot exposure success this way. It is hard for me to believe that manual, one would get that success rate, for first shots, in a situation...
One interesting thing, is the minolta A2, which has a flash exposure mode which strictly applies the guide number rule, using the subject distance. No pre-flash, no during exposure measurement, but it does control the length of the firing. Bet this would work real well, cause it is so simple, and be easy to learn to compensate, without doing the math, each shot.
Or do you all not do the math, but just go by feel?
Don