Looking for comments/advice re. the Panasonic 8-18 on a GH5 (Nauticam)
I’ve been shooting with a GH5 (and GH4) for a while with a Panasonic 7-14 inside a Nauticam with their 6” acrylic dome.
I’ve never been entirely happy, its a bit soft and very badly suffers from internal reflections (I have reduced this by blacking out the white lens lettering but it is still a problem for me…)
I also use the “kit” 12-35 lens so the Nauticam dome has been a great travelling companion as it takes both lenses.
2018 and I now use the lovely Panasonic Leica 8-18 for topside work rather than my 7-14, and I’m hoping that it will give me good results underwater if I get the right dome combination.
The 8-18 appears to fit inside my old 6” dome, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be satisfactory. The Nauticam port chart lists two other domes instead:
- the simplest and cheapest solution is their 7” acrylic dome;
- alternatively, their 180mm glass dome (N120, requiring adaptors and extensions etc).
I’m sure there is also a Zen solution but I haven’t looked into that in any detail yet.
Any experience out there of the Panasonic 8-18 and recommendations for port configuration?
Eg How does the 7” acrylic dome perform, compared to the glass? Will a decent glass dome reduce my internal reflections?
All comments welcome.