Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikkor 8-15 with Kenko 1.4TC: Subal Zoom Ring

Started by TimG ·

  • 45Posts
  • 45Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikkor 8-15 with Kenko 1.4TC: Subal Zoom Ring

45 posts
  1. Hey folks

     

    I'm looking into whether I can get made a Subal zoom ring (to use with Type 4 ports) for a Nikkor 8-15mm lens and the Kenko 1.4TC. Although Subal has a zoom ring for the Nikkor 8-15, they do not currently have a zoom ring for the 8-15 + Kenko 1.4TC.

    However if enough people are interested......

     

    If this would be of interest to you, could you let me know? I understand price would be broadly the same as the current Subal zoom rings although maybe slightly more given the need for extended length.

     

    Thanks!

     

     

  2. TimG, for me to use the 8-15 with a Kenko 1.4TC in my Nauticam NA-D500 housing I ended up using a Nauticam focus gears for the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L macro lens (model C100IS-F) which after a little bit of modification has been working quite well. Perhaps try the same focus gear in Subal version to achieve the same thing.

  3. Thanks, Walt!

  4. I've just got from Subal the zoom ring for the Nikkor 8-15 with the Kenko 300 1.4TC.

     

    It fits really nicely. It's slightly different from the usual zoom rings in that the teeth extend the full length of the ring. So it meshes easily with the housing control!

     

    I can post a photo if anyone is interested.

  5. I'm curious about this setup and would enjoy seeing some shots. My experience with putting the Kenko TC with lenses on the D850 hasn't been good. Weird DOF and degraded sharpness... but Ihaven't used it with the 8-15 Nikor.

  6. I'm curious about this setup and would enjoy seeing some shots. My experience with putting the Kenko TC with lenses on the D850 hasn't been good. Weird DOF and degraded sharpness... but Ihaven't used it with the 8-15 Nikor.

     

    Hi Jack

     

    Sadly it's going to be a couple of months before I can get it in the water - but I'll post some pics once I have them.

     

    Messing around, as you do, above water (ie, in my living room) images looked pretty sharp and it's very close focussing.

    Edited by TimG
  7. When I shot that combo with a Sigma 15mm FE it was terrible on the D850, yes it focused closely, but the DOF was awful and the images degraded.

     

    This is about as good as it got.

     

    38833930875_b6ced7c3ea_c.jpg

    Edited by JackConnick
  8. I agree Jack...

     

    I found that the Kenko 300 made a big difference to the IQ with the D810 too. I was pretty unhappy with it too.

     

    However, with DX sensors, the difference seems less marked. I am happy with the results with both the Nikon 8-15mm and the Tokina 10-17mm with the D500 and the Seacam CFWA port.

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  9. Kenko recently announced a new series of HD teleconverters for both Canon and nikon designed for high resolution digital cameras, They claim they work with Nikon, Canon and Tokina lenses. Not sure about the 8-15 as they don't as yet list it on their site http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/lens_accessories/teleplus/kenko_teleplus_hd_pro_14x_dgx.html

    hope this helps

     

    The physical length of the new 1.4x converter is, more or less, identical to the old "300 Pro" one (see link above) - very likely that it can be used with existing zoom gears (if compatoble with lenses).

     

    I wonder whether optical quality may improve a little and with wich lenses?...

     

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  10. This is great info...I will contact Kenko and revert to everyone!

     

    Thank you :)

  11. According to the specs at B&H, the new one is 7.8mm shorter.

     

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674566-REG/Kenko_PRO3001_4XDGXN_Teleplus_PRO_300_DG.html

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1446085-REG/kenko_k_tphdpro1_4_n_teleplus_hd_pro_1_4x.html

     

    Not sure if current zoom rings will work but most important the 20mm extensions might be too long.

     

     

    Kind regards,

    Joss

     

     

     

    Thanks Joss

     

    I think the zoom ring should work - the Subal one at least - although it might need a slight trim (not a problem the way it has been designed). But I agree, the EXRs might be an issue. Argh.

  12. Strange - here in my records it says that the Teleplus 300 (Canon EF mount) adds a length of 19.4mm - I measured for making the 3D printed Zoomgear last summer...

    => When I am at home I will check again and then report...

     

    Wolfgang

     

    P.S.: Now I am at home and checked the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4x converter: it extends the lens indeed for 19.4mm, as I have written into my Excel sheet for zoomgear construction. It seems the physical length in the link is something different, measured as the entire length (including the connector that goes into the camera housing). The new adapter probably extends the lens then not by 19.4mm, but by 7.8mm less, i.e. only 11.6mm (compared to the 19.4mm of the old adapter).

    So zoomgears and extensions have to be adapted (possible, but it is the question whether it is worth the effort).

     

    Sorry for this misinformation... :pardon:

     

    Wolfgang

    Edited by Architeuthis
  13. Deleted

    Info already covered in previous posts

    Edited by Chris Kippax
  14. Strange - here in my records it says that the Teleplus 300 (Canon EF mount) adds a length of 19.4mm - I measured for making the 3D printed Zoomgear last summer...

    => When I am at home I will check again and then report...

     

    Wolfgang

     

    P.S.: Now I am at home and checked the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4x converter: it extends the lens indeed for 19.4mm, as I have written into my Excel sheet for zoomgear construction. It seems the physical length in the link is something different, measured as the entire length (including the connector that goes into the camera housing). The new adapter probably extends the lens then not by 19.4mm, but by 7.8mm less, i.e. only 11.6mm (compared to the 19.4mm of the old adapter).

    So zoomgears and extensions have to be adapted (possible, but it is the question whether it is worth the effort).

     

    Sorry for this misinformation... :pardon:

     

    Wolfgang

     

    Thanks, Wolfgang. Really useful information.

     

    Yeah, is it worth the effort?

  15. Strange - here in my records it says that the Teleplus 300 (Canon EF mount) adds a length of 19.4mm - I measured for making the 3D printed Zoomgear last summer...

    => When I am at home I will check again and then report...

     

    Wolfgang

     

    P.S.: Now I am at home and checked the Kenko 300 Pro 1.4x converter: it extends the lens indeed for 19.4mm, as I have written into my Excel sheet for zoomgear construction. It seems the physical length in the link is something different, measured as the entire length (including the connector that goes into the camera housing). The new adapter probably extends the lens then not by 19.4mm, but by 7.8mm less, i.e. only 11.6mm (compared to the 19.4mm of the old adapter).

    So zoomgears and extensions have to be adapted (possible, but it is the question whether it is worth the effort).

     

    Sorry for this misinformation... :pardon:

     

    Wolfgang

    I just received the new Kenko 1.4x HD Teleconverter (for Nikon) and compared it to my current Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300. On the outside, they are both exactly the same size with the HD model not make so much as 1mm longer or shorter the Pro 300 model, so the position of the lens in relation to the camera body is virtually the same, so I am a bit confused as where Kenko came up with two different measurements. As for difference in optical characteristics, is now the main question.

  16. Folks

     

    I’m on a dive trip at the moment and, for the first time, am trying the Nikkor 8-15 with the Kenko “1,4 Teleplus Pro 300” on my D500:.

     

    The camera doesn’t seem at all happy with combination and flicks between meterering modes and aperture settings. Really odd. Sometimes I get an Err message on screen.

     

    I’ve got a Z6 with me too. No problem using the Kenko/8-15 combination with that.

     

    I’m darned sure I tried the Kenko/8-15 on my D500 before traveling without a hitch.

     

    Any thoughts?

     

    Argh!!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.