Thank you, for the explanations. I guess that I forgot that the natural light filters, on the light sources, are to be used with a red filter on the camera, it now makes much more sense!
Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic
Testing 3 10k+ lumen lights: Gates GT14 vs. Scubalamp V6K vs. Jaunt G18 Plus
Started by dreifish ·
- 50Posts
- 50Replies
Read-only discussion
Testing 3 10k+ lumen lights: Gates GT14 vs. Scubalamp V6K vs. Jaunt G18 Plus
-
-
One thing I would like to add as a Chinese diver. you can actually buy the Jaunt lights in China for at most half the price listed here. Although even on their Chinese website it is listed at 1000ish USD eq, you can talk to the customer service and ask for the best price.
-
Looking at this table and having just finished packing for my trip I can say that there are batteries on this list that are 100 Wh and above for which there are travel restrictions and that require prior authorisation by the airline with only one set of spare as a limit to be carried in the cabin not possible to check in
Clearly Gates and Keldan have given some thought to this as their packs stop at 99 Wh
For me this is going to be the most practical consideration to the power limit of the lights
-
Looking at this table and having just finished packing for my trip I can say that there are batteries on this list that are 100 Wh and above for which there are travel restrictions and that require prior authorisation by the airline with only one set of spare as a limit to be carried in the cabin not possible to check in
Clearly Gates and Keldan have given some thought to this as their packs stop at 99 Wh
For me this is going to be the most practical consideration to the power limit of the lights
Yeah, that's definitely something to consider when looking at the more powerful light options, and something I mentioned in the initial post.
I asked Jaunt about this specifically with regards to their G18 Plus lights and they indicated to me that they've now redesigned them to use a 97Wh battery to avoid just this particular problem. So my initial table is out of date in that regard.
-
-
I bet the batteries haven’t changed just the sticker has. Anyway if I had to fork some money for lights it would be for Keldan Gates or light and motionWell we have had a shipment of 8x Jaunt G18+'s arrive

514DA64D-453C-4792-ABFB-468200F424B1.jpgJust for info the batteries are now labelled 6800MAH - which brings them in at under 98Wh - so no issues with airplane transport
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
I bet the batteries haven’t changed just the sticker has.
I think you are right on the money there

As to buying lights. I've had Keldan's before (Luna 8 CRI + the cyan modules), beautiful lights - but the build quality of these Jaunt's is very nice, and my ScubaLamp's previously have been very good too - not the same as Keldan I agree - but thats the only thing that can really differentiate between these cheaper brands and Gates and Keldan - as the LED arrays are from the same place, so light quality is the same, can't comment on the lithium 18650 quality either as they are sealed so perhaps Gates/Keldan are using nicer quality ones.
-
How long did it take from ordering to delivery Richard? Bought from Ali express directly?
-
I think you are right on the money there

As to buying lights. I've had Keldan's before (Luna 8 CRI + the cyan modules), beautiful lights - but the build quality of these Jaunt's is very nice, and my ScubaLamp's previously have been very good too - not the same as Keldan I agree - but thats the only thing that can really differentiate between these cheaper brands and Gates and Keldan - as the LED arrays are from the same place, so light quality is the same, can't comment on the lithium 18650 quality either as they are sealed so perhaps Gates/Keldan are using nicer quality ones
But price - we are looking 1/4 the cost for same performance...
i think we need to define same performance
I have just used two 8x Keldan for a trip on loan and I have to say for me they are bulky but the ergonomics are phenomenal
1. The one off and the throttle are great and can be operated with gloves
2. The batteries have an indicator in minute of duration and charging times
3. The candela measurements are done in lab conditions
So you would need to put this light to the test and see if the claims of angle of coverage and power are true. For sure Keldan measurements are accurate
For Light and Motion there are some concerns as the battery can't be replaced but I have two sola since 2009 and they can be serviced for macro where you don't need power this lights are great and small to carry
I agree on the fact Keldan et co are expensive but this is because you get a reliable product that can go for years and it will be serviceable
-
So you would need to put this light to the test and see if the claims of angle of coverage and power are true. For sure Keldan measurements are accurate
Yeah for sure Keldan provide spectrum analysis of their lights, and you can be sure the power is bang on the money - and the charging activity and battery level stuff is real nice now - mine had the older LED indicator, not the newer LCD display. My units also used the Luminus Devices COB array's s and not CREE.
Some of the claims by some of the lesser know manufacturers are crazy (looking at 10,000lm lights on ebay and Alibaba what a joke! - there is some shady units on offer
)But it was drefish's tests above that has shown that the power and beam angle is definitely there from these lights (and burn-time), and quizzing Jaunt directly they have provided the exact model and binning id's of the CREE CXB3690 modules used - so I have no doubt to the output or their claims. The big on/off button on the G18 is a nice improvement over the V6K button - and I will say the Keldan magnetic switch isn't without issue - one didn't work 100% for me below 80m, I had to go passed the first click and the back to engage level 1.
I'm spending my own money (sadly) - so some factor of budgeting is needed - and these Jaunt seem to hit a real sweet spot.
If I was spending someone else's money - yeah I'd be all over the 24x Keldan's

-
So richard those are 18000 with 95 degrees angle in air?
-
How long did it take from ordering to delivery Richard? Bought from Ali express directly?
After payment was received, they were delivered via DHL Express in 5 days yesterday. Very impressed.
-
So richard those are 18000 with 95 degrees angle in air?
95' in water - 140' in air = due to the flat port.
For comparison,
Keldan 8X are 110' in water, 120' in air due to the dome
-
95' in water - 140' in air = due to the flat port.
For comparison,
Keldan 8X are 110' in water, 120' in air due to the dome
Thanks for the info and what lens are you planning to match to those lights? I am curious about the lens arms light combination that is most efficient
For the WWL-1 I am interested in the arms length
-
I am curious about the lens arms light combination that is most efficient
For the WWL-1 I am interested in the arms length
Lens: WWL1 with the 14-42mm
Arms will be standard 8” + 90’ 220mm Nauticam carbon float
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
So effectively 2x 8” or 200mmLens: WWL1 with the 14-42mm
Arms will be standard 8” + 90’ 220mm Nauticam carbon float
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
I have had a discussion with Keldan regarding the candela output. The values reported in their website are tested for example the 8x has 6500 candela and the 4x 3900 candela so the $/cd metric is different from the calculation as the beam is not really conical. However none of the other manufacturers have really run tests so we can't really compare
One thing that I am slightly puzzled is to what extent you can see the benefit of higher CRI. LED have typically 82 and can go up to 96 but can you see it? And in which cases
-
I've never done a precise measurement (and I wish I had taken side-by-side photos) but when I tested the the Keldan Luna 8x, it was noticeably less effective at restoring color than the Gates GT14s in water. If the 8x is really outputting 6500 candela compared to Gates' calculated 7600 candela, that's only a 17% difference.. it should've barely been noticeable at all, and it definitely was noticeable. I'd rate the difference as somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a stop.
-
I've never done a precise measurement (and I wish I had taken side-by-side photos) but when I tested the the Keldan Luna 8x, it was noticeably less effective at restoring color than the Gates GT14s in water. If the 8x is really outputting 6500 candela compared to Gates' calculated 7600 candela, that's only a 17% difference.. it should've barely been noticeable at all, and it definitely was noticeable. I'd rate the difference as somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of a stop.
I am not talking about the Luna but the 8x that have 5600 candela in the 82 CRI version. In any case gates are at least 20% more powerful as they have a narrower range so in that range the intensity will be much higher
-
So if I look at the specs of the Cree module https://www.cree.com/led-components/media/documents/ds-CXB3590.pdfit has typical angle 115 and typical lumens 12000 there is a performance class that tops at 16000 lumens
How does it get to 18000?