Skip to content

Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique / Archived topic

Testing 3 10k+ lumen lights: Gates GT14 vs. Scubalamp V6K vs. Jaunt G18 Plus

Started by dreifish ·

  • 50Posts
  • 50Replies

Read-only discussion

Testing 3 10k+ lumen lights: Gates GT14 vs. Scubalamp V6K vs. Jaunt G18 Plus

50 posts
  1. I read about this too and wondered how they got 18,000lm from a nominally rated 12,000lm COB array - hence why I asked them directly what model and binning they used. I too was a bit weary about the claim too.

    They are using the 5000k 72v variant with the CD binning - order code: CXB3590-0000- 000R0UCD50G.
    As the CXB3590 has a max efficiency of 174 lumen per watt (https://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-integrated-arrays/xlamp-cxb3590) and with the G18+ battery putting out 103.6 Watts (14.8v * 7000mA) - that gets to you 18,026 Lumens.
    From the PDF, it seems you can drive the COB arrays at higher voltages (up to 78v) and higher amps (up to 1800mA) which provides you will the higher Lumen rating than the nominal 12,000lm at 1200mA at 85'c, plus we are running these under cool water, so the constant output won't drop.
    I'm sure they aren't outputting the full 18,000lm (as that is the optimal output) but as they are similar as the GT14 from Drefish tests, so we are definitely getting massive output in the > 15,000lm+ region.
  2.  

    I read about this too and wondered how they got 18,000lm from a nominally rated 12,000lm COB array - hence why I asked them directly what model and binning they used. I too was a bit weary about the claim too.

    They are using the 5000k 72v variant with the CD binning - order code: CXB3590-0000- 000R0UCD50G.
    As the CXB3590 has a max efficiency of 174 lumen per watt (https://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-integrated-arrays/xlamp-cxb3590) and with the G18+ battery putting out 103.6 Watts (14.8v * 7000mA) - that gets to you 18,026 Lumens.
    From the PDF, it seems you can drive the COB arrays at higher voltages (up to 78v) and higher amps (up to 1800mA) which provides you will the higher Lumen rating than the nominal 12,000lm at 1200mA at 85'c, plus we are running these under cool water, so the constant output won't drop.
    I'm sure they aren't outputting the full 18,000lm (as that is the optimal output) but as they are similar as the GT14 from Drefish tests, so we are definitely getting massive output in the > 15,000lm+ region.

     

     

    Sounds reasonable assumption. Still am a bit wondering about the battery but hey Chinese supplier for you

  3. Does anyone know the depth rating of the Jaunt lights?

  4. Does anyone know the depth rating of the Jaunt lights?

    100m :-)

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Does anyone know the depth rating of the Jaunt lights?

    100m :-)

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. I just bought the Big Blue CB15000P. I've seen it mentioned a couple times here that their Beam angle is 120 degrees. According to their website the beam angle is 160 degrees. Which seems a plus to me seeing I shoot a lot of WA. We shall see in a couple weeks when I road test them in the Philippines.

     

     

    https://bigbluedivelights.com/products/15000-lumen-warm-white-video-light/

    Edited by sideways
  6. I just bought the Big Blue CB15000P. I've seen it mentioned a couple times here that their Beam angle is 120 degrees. According to their website the beam angle is 160 degrees. Which seems a plus to me seeing I shoot a lot of WA. We shall see in a couple weeks when I road test them in the Philippines.

     

     

    https://bigbluedivelights.com/products/15000-lumen-warm-white-video-light/

     

     

    That's 160 degrees in air, or 120 degrees in water (since they use a flat front, not a dome) I suspect. Nonetheless, unless you're filming with a fisheye lens a 120 degree beam angle is not actually necessary since a lot of that light will fall outside the angle of view of your lens. With a typical rectilinear wide angle lens and 2 torch setup, a 90-100* beam angle is plenty and will concentrate more of the light in the area you're actually filming.

  7.  

     

    That's 160 degrees in air, or 120 degrees in water (since they use a flat front, not a dome) I suspect. Nonetheless, unless you're filming with a fisheye lens a 120 degree beam angle is not actually necessary since a lot of that light will fall outside the angle of view of your lens. With a typical rectilinear wide angle lens and 2 torch setup, a 90-100* beam angle is plenty and will concentrate more of the light in the area you're actually filming.

    Well that sure is a little deceiving. I see nowhere on the product page that it says 160 degrees in air. Yes, I shoot a fisheye lens.

  8. Yesterday I tested two G18 Plus in a pool in controlled environment will be posting a full review on my blog soon

  9. I have been doing some modelling and i can confirm that except for the edges 95 degrees lights cover the WWL-1 frame in full except maybe some extreme edges and cover all rectilienear lenses like the 7-14 and 8-18 in 16:9 format

    8mm fisheye will have dark sides and edges and will need 120 degrees lights

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.