3 hours ago, thetrickster said:
John, I've owned Keldan lights - and they truly are fantastic - and if money was no object I would probably be on the new 24,000lm packs with the remote controls and all the goodies
But (and I'm sorry to Daniel for saying this) there are much much cheaper options out there (DivePro being the one I'm currently using) that perform just as good for 1/2 or 1/3 of the money - there is nothing special about the LED COB Arrays (quality / power of the light) used throughout the industry for the higher powered units - they either come from CREE, LUMINUS or similar and most manufacturers (if they are any good) will provide info on which array (and what binning) they are using.
Keldan's are built better and no doubt use good quality lithium packs - but this I can't see these aspects alone being worth that much of a difference.
The other thing to watch out for is travelling with them, I had the Luna 8 as they were called back them - and its a pain travelling with the bulky dome fronts.
Just my 2c
Hi RIchard, this time I have to disagree with you
My buddy bought a pair of G18+'s about two/three years ago (if I remember the model correctly). The company had recently changed their name. It used to be called Jaunt. Also I have a pair of small MP10 snoot lights (Jaunt branded) that I use for macro.
Although Divepro claims they are CRI 95 the color quality of the G18+ is nowhere near as good as my Keldan. We've done a lot of dives and several videos using them side by side and they have a greenish tint to them. I have wasted so much time color correcting clips shot with these lights! With the Keldan I basically adjust the tones slightly and the clips are pretty much perfect. I have never spent this much time color correcting with the old FIX lights either.
After a few months one light started to flicker. At the time there was no Italian importer so the only solution was to send it back to China with costs equal to that of the lamps.
After 2 years both switches stopped working. Warranty expired and we were able to repair them ourselves. That type of switch is used by virtually all Chinese manufacturers and is bound to give problems in the future.
Maybe we were unlucky but I would never recommend them to a friend.
For my little MP10s after a year I lost a little piece of the snoot. I went to their website and found that they had a new model of Snoot with a lens inside. I tried to ask if it was possible to get the new snoot or just the little piece I had lost. They basically asked me for the price of the new lamp. Crazy stuff. We're talking about a 1 cm piece of aluminum. I refused and 3d printed by myself.
Now back to the Keldan. I have had the Luna 8 CRI since 2013. At the time the CRI model had 5000 lumen LEDs. Fantastic light. Nowadays 5000 Lumen is low so a year ago I bought just the 8000 Lumen Led modules for a very honest price and now I have new lights after 7 years.
I know that their reflector and dome is bulky but you can swap the module while with their most powerful models you cannot swap the Led module.
Of course, in those 7 years I had a few little problems:
3 years ago I broke a magnetic switch while on a liveaboard. I wrote an email to Daniel from the boat asking what I could do to fix it while on the trip. Within half an hour he set up a Skype video call showing me how to temporarily fix the problem. A week after I got home I had the replacement part in the mail
Two months ago I broke the plastic U-bracket that holds the lamp (the only real weak point in the design).I wrote to Daniel to buy the replacement but he shipped me via DHL the replacement part at no cost.
What more can I ask for?
P.S..
To be honest the old 5000 Lumen Led module was composed of a series of LEDs that gave a very high quality light.The new 8K LED module is a COB type and although the quality is very high, I do not find it up to the previous one. I don't have any scientific data to support my thesis. It's just my impression.
Last but not least: I believe that Keldan is one of the rare companies that indicates the real lumens of their lamps, or the lumens emitted at the current at which the LED is driven and not the maximum current at which it is possible to drive the LED.
Basically if the Divepro G18+ emit 18K lumen I am John Wayne
3 hours ago, thetrickster said:
As to the ZCAMs - you will be forced into getting a Ninja V (or similar) at the minimum for monitor support - add the cost of a housing for that also - its not such a bargain as a GH5 or BMPCC4/6K.
To see the NA-E2 in action see this thread (if you missed it). Maybe Brian can give additional info about its use.
View archived post in: Black corals and ripping current in Hawaii...
Regarding Z-Cam, watch out to some rumors:
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/24341/z-cam-e2-cameras-lineup-production-can-suddenly-stop/p2