Do you shoot with Sony a7 or A9 series and if so what wide angle lenses do you use
Started by Knightpics ·
54Posts
54Replies
Read-only discussion
Do you shoot with Sony a7 or A9 series and if so what wide angle lenses do you use
54 posts
On 1/29/2021 at 11:06 PM, Steen Nissen said:
I shoot with a Sony A7r4. I use Canon 8-15 with the mc11 adapter. It´s working great.
I also wanted a rectilinear option, and was looking in to the 16-35mm, but the need of a really big dome with that lens, kept me off.
Instead I ended up with the Nauticam WWL-1 in front of the Sony 28mm f2. It's a very nice option. Small size, compared to the big dome, and very sharp images.
Thank you! Will this work on other housings outside of Nauticam as well? Do you have any sample images from this?
3 minutes ago, WesleyD said:
Thank you! Will this work on other housings outside of Nauticam as well? Do you have any sample images from this?
I was able to mount and use my WWL-1 on a Meikon housing for an Olympus E-M10. If that works, I would expect you can make the WWL-1 work on pretty much any brand of housing. Assuming you have a 28mm (or FF equivalent) lens and suitable flat port.
10 minutes ago, stuartv said:
I was able to mount and use my WWL-1 on a Meikon housing for an Olympus E-M10. If that works, I would expect you can make the WWL-1 work on pretty much any brand of housing. Assuming you have a 28mm (or FF equivalent) lens and suitable flat port.
yes, i do! i have an isotta housing and flatport. the only problem is that i used an aoi uwl 09 pro and it fell off while i was diving! i want be better secure it to the port besides just screwing it on, you know?
The WWL will fit any flat port with a 67mm thread, however, the important "but" is does the manufacturer produce a port that fits the lens well. The front element needs to be close to the port glass so it can get the whole field without vignetting. You can zoom in to correct this but you lose angle of view. I believe for example ikelite only has one flat port for their system and it's long enough to the 90mm macro, but would have an 80mm or more gap to the port glass. You can use bayonet mounts as well but they also screw on using the 67mm thread.
The 28-60 is much shorter than the 90mm macro so needs a shorter port. It's not on the isotta port chart but looking at other lenses you might have 30-40mm gap to the port glass. You would have to try it to see if it vignetted or not I think - something that could be tested in a store.
The Nauticam N100 45 port for the FE 28-60mm lens is new and designed to fit the lens. If Ikelite and Isotta intend to support the A7C and 28-60mm lens why would you assume they would rely on current ports rather than develop a new port like Nauticam did?
5 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:
The Nauticam N100 45 port for the FE 28-60mm lens is new and designed to fit the lens. If Ikelite and Isotta intend to support the A7C and 28-60mm lens why would you assume they would rely on current ports rather than develop a new port like Nauticam did?
They might, I can only report the current situation. They would likely list the 28-60 with a dome based upon the current support they provide, they currently only list the 28mm f2 with a dome as an example. I'm not aware of any housing manufacturers listing support arrangements for Nauticam wet optics, so ability to use elsewhere seems a matter of luck if they have a port in an acceptable size range.
The main point for people wanting use WWL or other wet optics on non Nauticam housings is to do you homework. An M67 threaded port is only part of the equation getting a port the right length is also needed and you really need to be able to check for vignetting before committing, unless someone else has done the homework for you or if support is listed for an lens with a length very close to the lens you want to use.
On 2/5/2021 at 12:39 PM, WesleyD said:
yes, i do! i have an isotta housing and flatport. the only problem is that i used an aoi uwl 09 pro and it fell off while i was diving! i want be better secure it to the port besides just screwing it on, you know?
I am not sure you'll find a way to mount anything that is more secure than being screwed on to an M67 port...
I have my WWL-1 mounted using Nauticam bayonet fittings. But, the bayonet part that is attached to the housing is still just screwed onto it....
On 1/30/2021 at 6:28 PM, Phil Rudin said:
... I expect someone will step-up this year with a native fisheye but it is not a large concern for me. Canon and Sigma non zoom fisheyes can also be used with the adapters.
A friend used Sigma 15mm FE (for canon) + Metobones adapter for Nauticam-a7III. setup. This seems like a good set up for a compact system where FE is the priority. Any more feedback on how this works? (I'm not sure what port-dome option he used?
Cheers
/O
7 hours ago, oskar said:
A friend used Sigma 15mm FE (for canon) + Metobones adapter for Nauticam-a7III. setup. This seems like a good set up for a compact system where FE is the priority. Any more feedback on how this works? (I'm not sure what port-dome option he used?
A friend used Sigma 15mm FE (for canon) + Metobones adapter for Nauticam-a7III. setup. This seems like a good set up for a compact system where FE is the priority. Any more feedback on how this works? (I'm not sure what port-dome option he used?
Cheers
/O
The Nauticam port chart is clear that with the N100 to N120 adapter the Sigma 15mm for Canon plus Metabones/Sigma lens adapter works with the Nauticam N120 140mm dome port. I see no reason that it would not also work with the 180mm and 230mm ports as well.
I have no experience with the Sigma 15mm fisheye but I have been using the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye with both Sigma and Metabones adapters for several years now. This lens requires the N120 20mm extension and works with ports from 100mm to 230mm. I have used ports 100, 140, 180, 200 and 230mm for Nauticam with excellent results. With the 8-15mm lens you need to have a removable shade or shade blades to prevent vignetting when using the lens at 8mm. I have also used the lens with Ikelite, Inon ports and others on a verity of Canon mirrorless and DSLR cameras. Auto focus is responsive and accurate on the Sony cameras I have used including the A7 II/III, A7r II/III/IV and A7C.
The issue with the 180mm dome is it's not a full hemisphere, the angle subtended by the dome segment is about equal to a 15-16mm lens field of view , maybe 115° or so. You need place a fisheye well forward of the base of the dome to avoid vignetting. The geometry also means you need to place the entrance pupil well forward of the centre of curvature of the dome. It might also be touch and go whether the dome will vignette with a fisheye as the dome base is not flat. You can see what I mean in this photo of the N100 dome here:
I agree that the best results will come with the so called Fisheye ports and the ones I use most are the Nauticam 140mm and 230mm.
15 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:
I agree that the best results will come with the so called Fisheye ports and the ones I use most are the Nauticam 140mm and 230mm.
Yes without a doubt. Nauticam recommends the 140 as most optimised generally for fisheyes.
Agree that the 140mm is the best choice especially for CFWA. However I own both ports and use the 230mm as my go to port for splits with the Canon 8-15mm zoom, Sony 12-24mm zoom and Tamron 17-28mm zoom.