Hi,
I'm new around here! I'm pretty experienced as a photographer and videographer on land (actually, mainly at sea as I live on a boat), but a noob at UW stuff. I'm looking for some advice on beginner gear. Bear with me...
I shoot RAW photography and log video (GH5, A7C), so I'm used to colour correction and colour grading. My TG-5, which I use for snorkeling, barely cuts the mustard and requires quite a bit of post for acceptable footage. The GoPro, which I have used for diving, is not bad for video if shot in Protune, so currently I'm looking for an UW camera mainly for photography.
If and when funds allow I'll eventually buy housing for my Sony cameras but that's a long way off, so to tide me over for an up and coming dive I bought the Seafrogs housing for the Tough, just to get some experience of handling gear under water. But knowing how average the Tough is (at least it shoots in RAW), I'm looking for a budget-friendly step-up. I figured a decent compact that shoots raw, but has video capabilities, is the way forward, and started looking at the RX100 series (funnily enough I used to own the original RX100 when it came out).
Here's my quandary: the earlier models had a longer focal length of 100mm, which makes sense for macro photography. Also, they're cheap. The later models, however, shoot in s-log for video, which could be better than the GoPro (could be, but I don't know), or maybe not advisable in low light conditions?
If macro photography is my main aim, would an RX100 ii be a good fit? Or will I get frustrated that the video capabilities are dated? If I went for an RX100 iii or above, will I get frustrated I don't have 100mm for macro?
Or maybe I should buy an A6xxx instead, since I already have E-mount lenses? The Seafrogs housing for both RXxxx and A6xxx is the same price.
Any advice or opinions welcome. TIA.